Abrams - April update

daskal

This time I managed to get my hands on a DVD titled "M1A1 in Germany" available from the company "Perfect Scale Modelbau". This DVD containes over 60 minutes of raw footage US M1A1 tanks manouvering around with great video and sound quality. I'm still working on this new mod, but the samples that I've managed to get out from this DVD are much better then ones I previously had. The gear-shifting sound effect is ofcourse not modelled in Steel Beasts, I just tossed it in there during editing for fun

@Volcano: Is there any downside in using stereo 44 kHz files as sound mod files? They just seem to sound much better with the sim, and I get no additional clicking or popping sounds when they are being used. So far I have resampled all of my files to mono 22 kHz samples.

• Moderators

Stereo sound samples should be avoided at all costs for positional sounds, because stereo sounds cannot be positioned in the 3D world effectively. The external driving and engine sounds are positional, as are external gun shots and the like. These "3D" sounds should always be mono. That said, stereo sounds can and should be used for non positional sounds, like interior sounds, and this is the case for most of the non positional stock sounds in SB.

44 kHz is mostly a matter of preference, other factors are involved. 22 kHz should be used as much as possible because typically the ear cannot tell the difference between the two. Where 44 kHz is important is for sounds that have a large dynamic range (such as explosions, main guns sounds, something high pitched and so on). In SB, most of the stock sound effects of large dynamic ranged sounds are indeed at 44 kHz, but everything else is 22 kHz to save memory since the difference is not noticeable.

Also, you have to consider your source material too. If your source is recorded at a certain sampling rate, simply recording/converting it from the source material into a .wav file at higher sampling rate will not have any real effect. It would be like taking an image that has only 256 colors and raising the color count to 24 bit color and saving it -- the color in the image is the same but the file size is much larger. Another analogy would be that it would be like taking a mono source recording of a sound and converting it to a stereo sound: it is wasteful for no gain. You can of course enhance the original material though, but it is questionable how much enhancing you can do to justify the change in sampling rate.

I would say that a good rule of thumb is: if you have a recording made in 44 kHz then you should keep it at that sampling rate when you make the sound effect, unless it is a sound of something that has very little dynamic range, or a very long sound.

• 1 month later...

I'm finished with the mod - moved house in the meantime, and internet connection is not yet setup in the new place, so this caused some unwanted "setbacks" (hopefully it will be resolved by this friday). Once I have acces to the net againg from home I will upload it.