Port forwarding for NEWBIES/NOOBS/ROOKIES

tarball

That's what I'm using right now. Primarily, I've got an issue because I'm on a college network and I don't think I have access to the router system. That, and I don't know who makes it.

But, I'm not totally network savvy, so I think I'm going to need some assistance to help walk me through setting Tuungle up for use in Steel Beasts. Anyone able to help out?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

I have done all of htis several times and when I save the ports it says that the changes have been made, but when I click back to the ports the name does not show up. It just doesn't seem to be allowing me to open these. I habve tried it with anti virus turned off everything. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mark

Sorry what "name"?

Does your Router offer port forwarding as some sort of "service" or "application" basis as opposed to the "usual" table where you just open specified ports and direct them to an IP address?

Is there some other button called "apply" or "update", etc. to make these changes take effect?

As you have not told us anything about the type of Router, etc. I'm pretty much guessing.

I'm assuming you have given your machine a static or fixed IP address to begin with?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Great info, thanks!

But, it is six years old...have there been any changes over the years that we need to know about? Different settings for example? Or. have things stayed pretty much the same?

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric,

It's all still relevant, the first page has all the info I used to set up my router for multiplayer six months ago.

Crusty.

Great info, thanks!

But, it is six years old...have there been any changes over the years that we need to know about? Different settings for example? Or. have things stayed pretty much the same?

Thanks,

Eric

Well the only thing that has really changed is the number of routers listed in the "portforward" web site.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i have tried multiple times to get inline and get in a game...and cant.my comp will kick me offline as soon as i try to connect.many have tried to help me with this(thnx guys) but cant seem to find the probs.im getting the itch to play online again with 3.0 coming out.can anyone help me out?:(i havent played online since SB1 which i did alot.

• 11 months later...

Me and a friend are having a hard time getting a multiplayer game going despite having my ports forwarded and him having a cable modem without router.

I can see his session available but always get an 'error while connecting' message after trying to connect.

Conversely he cannot see me sessions at all. Both of us had our firewalls disabled during these attempts.

can anyone offer a possible direction for us to explore solutions to this problem?

thanks

Burnes

• Administrators

Either the correct ports are not forwarded, or there is indeed a firewall that is blocking comms.

You will have better luck using the beta version, with that, the host has to have a port forwarded but the clients don't need to.

Yes it is.

There are threads in the "General Discussion" area about how to get it.

As mentioned though if you want to host, this doesn't help as you still need port forwarding setup.

So in your situation where you want to connect to your friend (they host) or they want to connect to you (you host) you both need it addressed.

If you want to just join other people's sessions (e.g. TGIF) then the new Beta is a workaround.

If you and your friend are home in say 9-10 hours from this post I can be on TS to help you out.

This may or may not be convenient given that your location is somewhere on "Earth".

OK, glad you got it resolved. :)

If where you are on "Earth" is nearby (or at least your sleeping habits match), you are welcome to test your network connection with BG ANZAC this Thursday evening (3hrs and 3 days from "now").

I only mention it as you seem to be logged on when the Sun is up around here.

Edited by Gibsonm

• 2 weeks later...

So presumably in 4 or so days time (depends where you live) 3.017 will expire and you will be back to having to setup port forwarding / Hamachi again until maybe June or so:

Right so in 5 days or so (based on the warning message I receive on launch) 3.017 will stop working.

Are we then back to 3.011 until the things being tested in 3.017, and the earlier public betas, are rolled into "3.0something else"?

Correct. In June we'll start the next open beta with the 64 bit version of SB Pro PE. Once that that test is over too we will probably wrap it up and release another free update for the current release. Beyond that all work will go into the next upgrade, scheduled for the second half of 2015.

Taken from here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=20713&page=3

• 3 weeks later...

New Router,.... Just got an Apple Airport Extreme router for the home network. The port forwarding utility link given in the first post states flatly that this router will not allow enough ports open to run SteelBeasts! Is this truly the case? My whole family is very happy with it, but I am in shock, TGIF Tank Night is the whole reason I slog through the week. The 3.017 beta version that just expired seemed to do away with client port forwarding,... Will that return soon and if it does, would that allow this router to connect to multiplayer servers? Has anyone else faced this issue with this product? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators
New Router,.... Just got an Apple Airport Extreme router for the home network. The port forwarding utility link given in the first post states flatly that this router will not allow enough ports open to run SteelBeasts! Is this truly the case? My whole family is very happy with it, but I am in shock, TGIF Tank Night is the whole reason I slog through the week. The 3.017 beta version that just expired seemed to do away with client port forwarding,... Will that return soon and if it does, would that allow this router to connect to multiplayer servers? Has anyone else faced this issue with this product? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Try port 2300 and port 47624.

New Router,.... Just got an Apple Airport Extreme router for the home network. The port forwarding utility link given in the first post states flatly that this router will not allow enough ports open to run SteelBeasts! Is this truly the case?

No. :)

I use a Time Machine with no issues.

Can email you screenshots of the config in 8 hours (or send you a PM with links to the images) or so if that helps?

Gibsonm, Thanks for the response. I have not had time to try to set up the configuration yet; but will try in the next day or two. I have a wired connection from my PC to the AirPort if that makes a difference. I guess I'll have to use my wife's Mac to configure the Airport utility. I will try to make it look like one of your screenshots, but I really have no idea what all the letters and numbers mean (you've got a real computer simpleton on the line here....).

Anyway, I'll try it and let you now.

Thanks again,

Jhay

• 4 months later...
New Router,.... Just got an Apple Airport Extreme router for the home network. The port forwarding utility link given in the first post states flatly that this router will not allow enough ports open to run SteelBeasts! Is this truly the case? ...... Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Update

Sorry for the late update but i just saw this.

Jhay's issue came to light one day when he tried to join a Dogs of War session. I worked with him to successfully resolve all issues. He has played 3.011 on several occasions.

Regards