Port forwarding for NEWBIES/NOOBS/ROOKIES

tarball

Attention new steel beasts player:

Often, a new player wants to join a Steel Beasts Pro PE multiplayer game and accessed the Internet from a computer behind a broadband router/firewall. You use this broadband router in order to share your broadband connection among the computers in your house. Being the generous community that we are, we often find ourselves spending about 15 mins (give or take) walking new people through the port-forwarding features of their router when they show up on Team Speak. As much as we welcome new people and want to help them, this time lost in router setup is a bummer; I figure some long-lasting help is in order. Perhaps some of this information can be used before showing up to the steelbeasts.com Team Speak server ( 216.22.24.158 ) for the first time. Please follow the tips below so that our collective trouble-shooting time is reduced and our playing time is increased.

When you are behind a broadband router/firewall, you are using a non-routable private subnet for TCP/IP and UDP/IP network communications. The private subnet addresses are usually in the following ranges: 10.x.x.x; 172.16.x.x; 192.168.x.x. So, a typical private address for your computer would be 192.168.1.10. In other words, since your machine does not have a public IP address, communications intended for your computer must be translated from the public IP assigned by your ISP to your modem or router to your computer. Thus, it is the router connected to your DSL/Cable modem that gets you to the outside world.

This means that you need to take a few extra steps to play some online games when behind a broadband router/firewall. What you need is port forwarding on your broadband cable/DSL router.

Port Forwarding

The specific ports you need to forward to the machine on which you are playing Steel Beasts Pro PE are:

TCP/UDP: 2300 to 2400 (this is a range)

UDP: 47624

Each router seems to do this differently, but I've found an EXCELLENT site on the net which attempts to provide a tutorial for setting up port forwarding on the majority of models available.

Go to this site:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

and find your model. There should be instructions on how to setup port forwarding for each model.

Lastly, don't forget to turn off any personal firewalls (Windows Firewall, McAffee, Black Ice, Zone Alarm, Norton Utilities, etc.)

One final note: if all else fails, you can place your machine in the DMZ on your router. However, I'll leave this up to you as placing your machine in the DMZ is potentially dangerous.

See ya on multiplay!

Tarball

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a great effort Tarball, thank you for taking the time to put this together, someone should make your post a sticky!

I might just add, that if you do not want to turn your firewall off permanently, you should be able to add a specific rule to allow SB to access the outside world on the above-mentioned ports once you have established that it works OK with it off.

PC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If my router can only do port 2300, and not the 2300-2400 range, am I SOL?

I have a Microcom Deskporte 400 (something like that), and it can't forward a range of ports (despite having the place to enter the range, it will not accept the entry).

And if I want to act as client must these ports be open? Or is it only when I want to host?

Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I got a router. A Netgear RP614v3. I did almost everything the guide told me. The problem is that I didnt need a username or password for my router. I just installed it. There was no cd or something else. Just the router. That means that I don't have a password or username for this set. And that was almost the last point of the "Port Forwarding for the Netgear RP614v3 Guide", where I had to open the settings of my router.

My question is, if thats the only way and/or possibility to play Steal Beasts PRO PE online.

Well I can play every game online. I had this port-problem just twice: With SB and Ghost Recon 1.

(Is it not possible to create another internet connection where I can set a pw and user ID?)

Edit: in addition I wanted to know if the changes I do at my PC for SB also affect at the 2nd PC in my house. Because there're ports set which shouldn't get changed, like mIRC etc.

Whe you forward ports, they are forwarded to the specific IP address of the intended machine. For example, you may be forwarding the required ports for SB to your SB machine, and the required ports for IRC etc to another, seperate machine with a different IP address. This is all done at the router, but obviously firewall software must be configured correctly on the individual PC's.

If you don't have the password for changing configs on your router, download the manual from the manufacturers site. There will be a default username and password for the machine, something along the lines of 'admin' and 'password' for example. If I understand your question correctly.

Okay got it. I could see a server. Woow. But couldn't join because it was already running.

But the biggest problem is to get an IP. Theres no IP list or something else. And only 2 people of 9 in the SB chat want to play. If I'm on TS I wait a half hour till some guys are going to start a session. When I try to join I got the port thing. Untill I fixed this problem it is 0100 GMT and nobodys online.

But I'm not frustrated cos the AI is also a quite good enemy:D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

"Previously post in the wrong thread"

Hi all,

I think that I am one more with connection problems. And I can said that I am really lost about what I have to do. Fisrt of all, most of you are talking about routers and port, but I am unable to find out where all that is hidden in my computer. It seems that I have to change the port's number but where?

If someone could help me, I would very please as SB online playing capacity was the main reason why I bought it.

• Administrators

Did you check out the first post in the thread here? It has a link where you pick the model, and then pick a game (you can use age of empires 2) and it walks you through step by step how to do it for your particular router.

• Administrators

The internet comes into the house on a wire. Follow the ethernet wire from your computer backwards until you find a box. (The ethernet wire looks like a oversized phone wire) Most likely, that box is the router. Look at the box, and read the label on it. You might have to flip it over to find it. Other than that, youve given no information whatsoever that anyone can use to help you (do you have cable, dsl, dial up?) - until you are willing to do some investigation on your own to find out what you have, no one will be able to tell you what to do or how to do it. Everyone wants to help you, but your question is so open ended that no one would know where to start. Setting things up for multiplayer doesnt require being an expert at routers and port forwarding, but youve got to figure out what you have first.