Port forwarding for NEWBIES/NOOBS/ROOKIES

tarball

• Administrators

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Sagem/Livebox-Fast-3202/default.htm

Thats a generic guide. It looks like it will not allow you to forward enough ports to play SB Pro, so the only other option is to find the DMZ mode and turn it on. DMZ mode will forward all ports to your computer and leave you open to the internet, so be sure to enable the windows firewall under the control panel. Start SB, switched to "windowed" mode in the options screen, and then try hosting a sb session. The windows firewall will pop up a box asking for permission to use the internet, tell it yes.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the help Homer. I visited PortForward.com a number of months ago and this is when i discovered that my router at the time was incapable of forwarding the necessary ports for SBPro. I now have a router that can do this in spades but I still can't host. The right ports are open and my rigs IP is listed but no dice.

Things to check -

1. SBpro PE uses the port 47624 UDP, whereas DirectX 7 uses 47624 TCP.

2. Depending on how the router is setup, your computer's LAN IP can change from time to time, so make sure port 47624 UDP is being forwarded to the correct IP.

3. SBproPE needs to be added on the windows firewall (if you use it) exception list. You should get a popup window when someone tries to connect to your game.

I have the DIR-655 also, my first D-link products in many years (because of their huge quality problems in the past) and i must say it's awesome...

Anyway, make sure you have forwarded the correct ports to the correct ip adress, a common problem is people who are running multiple computers on the network and they setup the ports correctly but forward them to the wrong computer.

Secondly if you have any firewall running on your computer disable and/or uninstall it, the DIR 655 has a very good built in firewall that is enough to keep any script-kiddies away from your computer.

Zone Alarm is a known problem causer with many games. Remember that even if you disable zone alarm it has a tendency to keep blocking traffic, so just uninstall it.

If you still have problems hosting, please send me a PM and i'll help you sort things out, the easiest way to do this is logging on to Team Speak so i can walk you through the settings or set you up through remote administration.

I'll be on from around 19.00 CET which is 12.00 CST

You know it must be the way I'm holding my mouth. I have all the ports open that are suposed to be open and in the correct order and location. The IP that the ports are open for is my computers IP. I use norton for my fire wall instead of windows and everything is cool there. Seriously scratching my noodle. Perhaps it's my friends problem and not mine as I can join his game when he hosts and he is not behind a router.

• 2 weeks later...

try and uninstall norton just to see if it helps, you can always reinstall it, I'm can almost bet my money on norton being the problem, especially if you are running Norton Internet Security or norton 360.

Ok Ghost your suggested idea of dropping Norton Internet Security made no difference @ my end. I can dial out no problems but no one can dial in. I’m thinking of opening up additional ports for newer versions of DirectX even though SBPro doesn’t use them. I’ll test all of it out with the other party involved but I’m pretty sure I’ll join up on TS this coming Friday. See you then and thanks again for the help. My call sign on TS is ShiftZ.

Salute.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is something i dont understand . When with step 10 for setting up a static ip adress.

the quide says :

Step 10:

Click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and then the Properties button. You will now see the following screen

It does but i dont see any digits for my ip adresses and stuff its just shows the bars for the digits blank. What do i do now?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
There is something i dont understand . When with step 10 for setting up a static ip adress.

the quide says :

Step 10:

Click Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and then the Properties button. You will now see the following screen

It does but i dont see any digits for my ip adresses and stuff its just shows the bars for the digits blank. What do i do now?

Hi,

Yes that is Correct You need to input the Numbers in manually. so like the guide says you get your Info by doing IPCONFIG /ALL in a CMD PRompt. As for the IP you need to choose a Static IP that is Outside the range of the Routers DHCP Start & End IP..

I am an admin over at Port Forward.com (Gerald) and I had just added this Sim to our Guides section should show up in a few days. That way there will be a guide for Every Router we have available on the site.. So if you need Help with this Sim just goto PortForward.com and post in the Forums about your Problems and We will be able to get you connected ;)

Just mention Steel Beasts and this Forum I'll be Quick to Help you out..

and about the DMZ NOT a Very Wise move as that is VERY Unsecure way of connecting to the net ev en for a Short time..

If you post more info about your Network and what ports you opened I can better help you.. Also if it worked in DMZ and Not while port Forwarding that means you did NOT have the Required ports Opened..

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Yes that is Correct You need to input the Numbers in manually. so like the guide says you get your Info by doing IPCONFIG /ALL in a CMD PRompt. As for the IP you need to choose a Static IP that is Outside the range of the Routers DHCP Start & End IP..

I am an admin over at Port Forward.com (Gerald) and I had just added this Sim to our Guides section should show up in a few days. That way there will be a guide for Every Router we have available on the site.. So if you need Help with this Sim just goto PortForward.com and post in the Forums about your Problems and We will be able to get you connected ;)

Just mention Steel Beasts and this Forum I'll be Quick to Help you out..

and about the DMZ NOT a Very Wise move as that is VERY Unsecure way of connecting to the net ev en for a Short time..

If you post more info about your Network and what ports you opened I can better help you.. Also if it worked in DMZ and Not while port Forwarding that means you did NOT have the Required ports Opened..

Hi, so what do you recommend if my router is listed as not allowing me to open sufficient number of ports (it is the Vigor 2700 series one)?

It looks like the only option will be a new router... I understand that it is not very wise to compromise my machine with all my data in it.

Well, that is what I used before and it worked, but now when the whole family surfs wirelessly in the whole appartment a wi-fi capable router became necessary...

So I will check the available routers here to meet all my demands...

Edited by Pakenko
lack of english skills

• 11 months later...

Just my two cents on this one

Check this one out http://www.tunngle.net/

It does not have a dedicated steel beast room but all you do is pick a lobby and you can use it to host what ever game you like. We used T-72 balkans just so that we at least stayed in genre.

I am not saying its any better than Hamachi but its another option out there that perhaps your system admins haven't blocked yet?