Dongle question.

petherf

Do i have to have the dongle in Usb port all the time i play or can i take it out when the game start?

I only have two Usb ports in front and use a Warthog in the two ports And is full in the back. keyboard, mouse track ir, writer, sound etc. :(

• Members

It should not matter much. On the one hand, the average temperature of the stick is higher while plugged in all the time (which in principle reduces the lifetime). On the other, the mechanical stress of plugging the stick in and out isn't ideal either.

My recommendation would be to consider a powered hub; sometimes monitors and keyboards have USB ports as well that may be a convenient option for your other USB peripherals.

• Members

...which doesn't help us much, as we neither know the exact increase of temperature nor the designed lifespan. That being said, I'm still using the very same old CM stick that I was given in 2005 as a test sample from Wibu Systems. Admittedly, from the plugging and unplugging the case once threatened to come apart, which could be fixed with minimal application of plastic model kit glue. Most players here have a 2006 issued stick. So it is safe to say that the lifespan of the stick, no matter whether constantly plugged in or whether removed with regularity, exceeds five years.

I just noticed that when I have my dongle plugged in, my recycle bin does not show its contents. Items can still be deleted and the recycle bin emptied, but when I open the bin nothing is displayed.

Removal of the dongle resolves the issue so it's not a big problem, but I thought I'd let everyone know. If the problem persists, you can open cmd.exe (as administrator) and at the c: prompt type "rd /s /q c:\$Recycle.bin" (minus quotes). Then do this for each additional drive on your computer. (e.g. If you have a d: drive you must also type "rd /s /q d:\$Recycle.bin".) The "/q" is not really necessary, it just saves you from having to answer an "are you sure?" prompt.

P.S. I'm running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium (SP1) on the following setup:

HP Blackbird 002 (VooDoo ed.)

Nvidia NForce 780i SLI Mother Board

Liquid Cooled Intel Core2 2.6GHz QuadCore Processor

4x1GB Corsair DDR2 Ram

BFG Nvidia GTX 260 Video Card

500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Drive

TSST TS-T632L DVDR/RW Drive

1TB Western Digital External Drive

HP 22" HDMI Monitor 1680x1050x60

Realtek HD Audio

Kinyo 4.1 Surround Speakers

Razer Death Adder Mouse (VooDoo ed.)

Razer Tarantula Keyboard (VooDoo ed.)

Wacom Tablet w/Pen+Wireless Mouse

HP Photosmart C8180 w/LightScribe Drive

Saitek ST290

Saitek X52+Throttle

CyberPower 1080 Surge Protector @3600J

And 1 Steel Beasts Dongle!

Edited by SeanPatrick
Add'l Info

I had the same problem and found the answer on the Microsoft website:

"You should switch the state of your CmStick from local disk to removable disk.

You can change this with our tool “Code Meter Disc Configuration”.

Start->All Programs->CodeMeter->Tools->Disc Configuration, then go to the rider “Option” and change the value 'Disk Type'."

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Hughie

Mine had to be replaced a few years back.It certainly wasn't from over-use I'm sorry to say and I don't keep it plugged in unless I want to play.

Replacement was painless thanks to Ssnake's help.

• 6 months later...

I have just noticed this same problem with deleted items in the recycle bin not being visible. However, I can't find this "Disc Configuration" tool to change the Disc type. Under Code Meter => Tools in the Start menu, I only see "CmDust" and CodeMeter Command Prompt.

What do I do to change the disc type?

You are right, Disc Configuration has apparently been removed from the latest CodeMeter software. But I found a fix here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/reasoners/comments/nwioz/codemeter_causing_recycle_bins_to_not_show/

Basically, you have to use the command prompt to change the disc type now. I don't understand why they have made it this complicated to fix this problem? This seems to be quite a common problem, so why remove the possibility to fix it quickly and easily? :decu:

Well, at least it is fixed now, and having to type a cryptic command line took me back to the time when computers ran MS DOS instead of Windows, and everything was done this way! :)

• Members

According to Wibu Tech Support it's supposed to migrate into the Control Center. Why they removed the old tool before the substituting feature was implemented is beyond me, though. Apparently someone at Wibu wrote another substitute feature with a graphical user interface, but whether or not that's cleared for public distribution is undecided.

Just FYI.