Using, or abusing, terrain

Toyguy

OK, I'll post something in here :)

Does anyone have any good links to information about use of terrain. I really struggle with figuring out where to put my vehicle. If I put it up on a hill so I can see something, I usually just get blown up, but if I stay in the low ground, I feel completely out of touch with the overall picture and what little SA I have been able to develop just gets lost. I'd love to read more about what the professionals are taught to do to balance those 2 things.

• Moderators

Well, to help with your question Toyguy:

A true tanker will avoid a hill top at all costs, preferring instead to stay low, flowing through terrain like water flowing through elevation. That seems to be counter intuitive to some, because most people want to climb the highest point on the map to see the longest distance. If they saw Mt Everest in SB some people would spend the entire scenario trying to climb to the top, where they would likely be shot and killed shortly after they go up there.

It is certainly a double edged sword. If you want to get on a hill, only climb those medium or lower hills that can see into the next valley, but the hill is not so high as to expose yourself to the entire world; or avoid the hills entirely and drive around in the low places and close in on the enemy to point blank range with several gun tubes. Refer to the elevation of a hill and surrounding hills to know which ones should not be climbed. Even better is when you use the small hills as cover, choosing instead to wait patiently behind the hill in a platoon -- waiting for the right movement to move up on the small hill and open fire at, on average, a range of 2000 or so meters. Once the volley is fired, consider a second if the enemy is not oriented on you. After the second volley, back out and fall back to the next position or move around the hill laterally. The trouble people have in SB in this situation is that they either pull up (on the low hill in this example) immediately and sit there, thus losing any element of surprise they had. Once you do that, you may as well just leave that position entirely as no sane enemy will get caught out in the open once they know where you are on the map. The other problem people have here is that once they do successfully ambush the enemy, they either do it with one tank out of said platoon (which is of limited effect) or they choose to continue firing on the enemy until they themselves are destroyed or lose half their platoon, then curse the AI wingmen LOL.

All of this is very general, but hopefully it will help.

Ref. to "Hilltops":

In this respect the TIM(tanks/Leo2) or the dismounts(PCs) are also used to little:

Stay behind a hill so can just watch over it with the TIM, or have a team (dug in)on the hill.

this way you have eyes on the other side and know WHEN to move up for an ambush.

(works even better if your squadies have a UGV at hand!)

Well, i.r.l. you could also climb on top of your turret and have the driver go slowly forward till only your head sticks out...SB is limited in that way ;-)

• Moderators
AlphaIndia says: "You better keep moving and get off those hilltops fast,

or otherwise you will skyline and I will bust a cap in your non taynking ass."

Yes! Where is that song anyway...

Ah, Boof uploaded it:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/270/p13_fileid/55

...that is all you need to know about terrain. ;)