Steel Beasts, now with 100% more Ghost

Hello to whoever is left who remembers me :D

Just winding down a couple of career courses and planning a return to Steel Beasts, the resurrection of the 1st Canadian Division and building a campaign along with Battle Labs. 12Alfa and I have talked about this a few times over the years, but the Army keeps getting in the way of play time. I *think* things are settled down for me, but we'll see.

I've been gone a long time and would appreciate feedback on where the community is at in terms of play style.

-I noticed MP co-op scenarios outnumber h to h by about 2-1. Is 'Tank Quake' over and the sim nutters won out?

-If sim style is the order, is it mostly WWIII Fulda Gap stuff, re-enactment of late 20th century mechanized warfare (ie: '73 Golan Heights) or future and notional conflicts?

-Is the predominant style of play unit based with TC/gunner and few units or part war-gamer, part sim with players controlling multiple units?

-Are scenarios running long or is it a series of short battles each night?

-What's the average turnout for a game? What's a really good turnout?

-What's the comms situation? Single channel for each side? Multiple channels (IC and troop net)?

-What needs development in terms of player coordination and unit management?

I've a lot of ideas tooling around my head but need feedback to see what's feasible. After working with military sims for a few years I'm looking at SB through new eyes. I thought I'd never want to touch another sim or build another scenario again after doing it every-single-day, but I miss SB and I find it a joy to work with compared to what I was using professionally.

Looking forward to slinging digital sabot again.

...now to get a new joystick...

• Moderators

Welcome back. Always good to have more people in multiplayer.

To answer your questions:

-I noticed MP co-op scenarios outnumber h to h by about 2-1. Is 'Tank Quake' over and the sim nutters won out?

We play all sorts. The real solution was always to "mix it up". We play traditional attack and defends, as well as (like the Top Tank Platoon 2010) stuff you could call "tank quake" I suppose, if by tank quake you mean battle where the only objective is to kill off the enemy.

-Is the predominant style of play unit based with TC/gunner and few units or part war-gamer, part sim with players controlling multiple units?

The predominant style of play is one person taking a platoon or vehicle. There is rarely another person in someone's tank as a gunner, unless the scenario gets down to single vehicles remaining.

-Are scenarios running long or is it a series of short battles each night?

There are some scenarios that are played throughout the week by some in the TS channel but TGIF on Friday (2100 CST) is still the "main event". At that time we usually play a 90 to 120 minute head to head scenario. Afterwards there might be a coop, but usually not.

-What's the average turnout for a game? What's a really good turnout?

Average turn out might be 15 or so and a really good turnout might be 20. We had some new guys playing for a while but I guess they got burnt out already. :(

-What's the comms situation? Single channel for each side? Multiple channels (IC and troop net)?

Almost always single channel per side.

• 4 years later...