Rolling Thunder: Large-scale tank vs tank PVP events

Dutch

promo-web600.jpg

Dear fellow (virtual) tankers,

My name is Eric, ex TC in reallife and active in the ArmA2 game community.

Recently a new tank vs tank PVP concept has been released which I wanted to share with you, as fellow tanksim players amongst eachother.

The concept is called Rolling Thunder and I will explain briefly what it is.

Rolling Thunder is a PVP event in which large scale tank battles are simulated. Rolling Thunder is for those who always wanted to participate in such an event, but never found the people to play together with, if not to play such a gametype in a more organized large scale environment.

The RT battles are standalone and take place occasionally. For each battle there are new registrations. This means that the battles are easy accessible and less demanding/time consuming for the players compared to the more common PVP community campaigns/series. The Rolling Thunder participants vary from armor gameplay newcomers to professional tank combat simulation gamers all with the aim to have tactical, teamwork orientated, well organized and enjoyable battles.

Key features:

• Large scale, stand-alone, tank v.s tank PVP battles

• ACE Simulation mod supported

• Tactical and teamwork orientated

• Easy registration / participation (as a group or as an individual)

• For each single battle a different map, different sides and renewed player registrations

• Capture and Hold system

• Reconnaissance and other support units involved

Now this may look a bit blurry at first, therefore I added this promotion video.

Also, Rolling Thunder has a community website which may be interesting to take a look at as it contains lots of information and also other videos from previous battles.

Hope this will lead to some positive synergy :)

Best regards,

Eric Dutch

Qq4O4Ip9IYY

Edited by Dutch

Don't we already have a Large-scale tank vs tank HtH event each Friday ? and have for the last decade.

• Large scale, stand-alone,HtH battles or campaigns

• Realistic operations of units systems

• Tactical and teamwork orientated

• No registration / open participation.Anyone can join. from ex-military to truck drivers

• For each single battle a different map, different sides and no player registrations needed

• Capture and Hold system-attrition systems-points systems- systems systems!

• Reconnaissance and other support units involved

• No hit points

Also, Steel Beasts has a community website which may be interesting to take a look at as it contains lots of information and also other videos from previous battles.

Don't we already have a Large-scale tank vs tank HtH event each Friday ? and have for the last decade.

Their next event is May 28th, which is a Saturday. So that won't cannibalize TGIF. It looks like their first event in March had a fair amount of participation. I doubt that the SB community would be the worse for connection with this type of stuff on other platforms -- I doubt that any active SB community members are going to forego SB because this is now available. Participation by interested SB community members in such events on other platforms, however, may be a good way to introduce SB to people who may be disposed to check it out but were otherwise unaware of it.

LOL Why would anyone with "SteelBeasts" waste time in ArmA trying to do large scale tank battles. This is what SteelBeasts does 24/7.

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty.

I doubt that the SB community would be the worse for connection with this type of stuff on other platforms -- I doubt that any active SB community members are going to forego SB because this is now available. Participation by interested SB community members in such events on other platforms, however, may be a good way to introduce SB to people who may be disposed to check it out but were otherwise unaware of it.

Hello all,

Now this was exactly my angle.

I played SB in the past as well. Im not here saying that ArmA or SB is better then another. Both games have their pros and cons.

I'm sure that there are ArmA players with SB en SB players with ArmA.

The idea is synergy.

I mean we all have one thing in coming and thats tank sim right? :)

Hello all,

Now this was exactly my angle.

I played SB in the past as well. Im not here saying that ArmA or SB is better then another. Both games have their pros and cons.

I'm sure that there are ArmA players with SB en SB players with ArmA.

The idea is synergy.

I mean we all have one thing in coming and thats tank sim right? :)

Sure but it assumes I’m going to buy this piece of junk in order to play and I’m afraid I have neither the time or cash to waste on it before it goes in the digital dustbin.

Gentlemen, lets be nice with the gentlemen just leting us know about his Arma2 tanking activity. He has posted this in "Ground Zero" section and I guess any virtual Armour information is interesting to know about

While I am sure none of us here would trade SB for an Arma tank :debile2: I have to say any virtual events related to tanks are an overall benefit for the virtual tanking comunnity.

The more people interested on virtual armour, the better.

People that got initially atracted to "tanking" into the arcadish Arma2, may end up in Steel Beasts :biggrin:

Anyway I have to say the video is really nice with great visuals.

Said this. Thanks for the offer but no Thanks I am not interested in Arma2 tanking.

Wish you good luck and fun!!

Gentlemen, lets be nice with the gentlemen just leting us know about his Arma2 tanking activity. He has posted this in "Ground Zero" section and I guess any virtual Armour information is interesting to know about.

Um, no he didn’t.

It started in the Multi Player area and it was then moved by the powers that be.

Um, no he didn’t.

It started in the Multi Player area and it was then moved by the powers that be.

After your first post Gibson I reported the thread myself and asked the moderator to move it to Ground Zero (I wasnt sure at the start where to post, I probably should have asked in advance)

I've had the ArmaII/Operation Arrowhead combo installed for some time now. I enjoyed the single-player campaigns in the original Flashpoint/Red Hammer/Resistance a lot more than those in the new versions. And although the vehicle modelling does tend toward being arcade-ish, I'd enjoy an organized online armor battle more than single player or jumping into an open server free-for-all. Simhq has a regular game Monday evenings, I'd probably enjoy that as well if my schedule permitted it.

Anyway, having looked at the link, I was wondering where the game server is located, as latency seems to limit me with this game.

Anyway, having looked at the link, I was wondering where the game server is located, as latency seems to limit me with this game.

The game server is located in France.

We had players from the states participate last time without performance loss on their side. Here are the survey results regarding last battle. http://www.rollingthunder.unit19.org/e107_plugins/survey/view.php?4.

Gentlemen, lets be nice with the gentlemen just leting us know about his Arma2 tanking activity. He has posted this in "Ground Zero" section and I guess any virtual Armour information is interesting to know about

While I am sure none of us here would trade SB for an Arma tank :debile2: I have to say any virtual events related to tanks are an overall benefit for the virtual tanking comunnity.

The more people interested on virtual armour, the better.

People that got initially atracted to "tanking" into the arcadish Arma2, may end up in Steel Beasts :biggrin:

Anyway I have to say the video is really nice with great visuals.

Said this. Thanks for the offer but no Thanks I am not interested in Arma2 tanking.

Wish you good luck and fun!!

Concur. Gracias, Furia!

As a Steelbeasts player,I can tell you this...I had as much fun playing this event as I do playing SB...if not MORE.I'm also ashamed of my SB playmates for the absolute vitrol they posted here...beta testers included.On behalf of any-and/or-all Armour enthusists,I apologize to Dutch and will be showing up for the next event for sure.

• Moderators
As a Steelbeasts player,I can tell you this...I had as much fun playing this event as I do playing SB...if not MORE.I'm also ashamed of my SB playmates for the absolute vitrol they posted here...beta testers included.On behalf of any-and/or-all Armour enthusists,I apologize to Dutch and will be showing up for the next event for sure.

Who is posting "absolute vitrol" statements? I don't see it. Some like and dislike the idea and expressed that, but they also said good luck to the event; no one has posted "absolute vitrol" as far as I can see.

Some people are just too sensitive around here. It is a post like yours that puts things in the wrong perspective for everyone else.

@ Badger,

Welcome to the forums.

Im guessing you mean "vitriol" but who knows. I can tell you this, I don't need the likes of you apologizing on my behalf about anything.

I would imagine if I went to the bohemia forums and told everyone to come play SB I would probably get flamed and banned. However SB is a bit more tolerant about these matters.

Most of the people here have played ARMA and have found it lacking. Others like it. To each his own.

Rogue got it right. Nice first post. Not since chuikov has anyone attempted to alienate themselves so quickly.

Again, welcome to the forums,

Mog

Well, just had a look at the website there.

The ARMA2 tankmodel aside, it would have been very interessting to run 37player vs 37 player tank battle.

(hey, maybe we can try that here one day ;-) )

But there was one word that put me off:

RESPAWN :-( sounds like Quake with tanks to me

Edit: and I'll second a comment allready made here => Inviting at SB.com to an ARMA2 tank battle is like going to bohemia and invite to a Infantry battle in steelbeasts :-P