ITEC Cologne 2011 AAR

Crusty

• Moderators
Mark's opinion does not necessarily reflect eSim's (except for the part that SB Pro doesn't suck, of course). The Challenger is certainly different from the other AFVs in SB Pro, with a user interface that has certain similarities but combines them in a truly unique and decidedly British solution.

A big role plays the controller however, and that will be difficult to replicate for the average player on a PC. My recommendation would be to try it with some sort of a game console controller where the right hand thumb is to control an analog stick for turret movement/aiming. That will probably be the closest as you can get with a cheap consumer hardware setup.

Looks like a good use for a wireless Xbox 360 controller with PC wireless USB connector. Instant Challenger 2 controller. ;)

• Moderators
Speaking of the Warrior's controls, I wondered about that: does the Warrior not have powered traverse/elevation? All the pictures I have seen of Warrior controls are hand cranks - but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that it does not have powered/hydraulic turret and gun movement...

Dear Volcano,

No, the Warrior IFV has powered traverse as well as manual operation (according to what I have read in Jane's). I have no idea why every warrior simulator controller you have ever seen is always manual type controls however. Hmm, me neither.

Dear Volcano,

No, the Warrior IFV has powered traverse as well as manual operation (according to what I have read in Jane's). I have no idea why every warrior simulator controller you have ever seen is always manual type controls however. Hmm, me neither.

To both of you. :)

I believe they are there so you can replicate turret drills after primary systems failure when manual traverse / elevation becomes the order of the day.

Mark's opinion does not necessarily reflect eSim's (except for the part that SB Pro doesn't suck, of course). The Challenger is certainly different from the other AFVs in SB Pro, with a user interface that has certain similarities but combines them in a truly unique and decidedly British solution.

A big role plays the controller however, and that will be difficult to replicate for the average player on a PC. My recommendation would be to try it with some sort of a game console controller where the right hand thumb is to control an analog stick for turret movement/aiming. That will probably be the closest as you can get with a cheap consumer hardware setup.

Yes sorry didn't mean to imply that my opinion was eSim's. Have editied the post to add a clarification.

The "problem" from my point of view is that even though the same controller is used in both, the VBS2 product is still built on their underlying vehicle model which IMHO isn't as good as the eSim one.

Even in SB Pro gunnery in the CR2 is "interesting" (don't want to speak out of turn here) esp. with regard to a HESH shoot.

"Fin" / APFSDS is not so unique.

• Members
... I have no idea why every warrior simulator controller you have ever seen is always manual type controls however.

The Warrior has the handles for sight adjustment after every shot per British Army standard operating procedure. Apparently the gun's mounting allows for a bit of slack movement after the recoil which contributes to the overall dispersion. So, if precision fire is the goal, the gunner must "wiggle" the gun in vertical and horizontal plane between each shot.

Dear Volcano,

The CAE trainer does has the power traverse. It's a thumb operated left/right lever. In the usual British fashion, it doesn't look like any other control you may have seen.

• Moderators
The Warrior has the handles for sight adjustment after every shot per British Army standard operating procedure. Apparently the gun's mounting allows for a bit of slack movement after the recoil which contributes to the overall dispersion. So, if precision fire is the goal, the gunner must "wiggle" the gun in vertical and horizontal plane between each shot.
The CAE trainer does has the power traverse. It's a thumb operated left/right lever. In the usual British fashion, it doesn't look like any other control you may have seen.

Wow... sounds awesome! :eek2:

No booth babes? :neutral:

I was going to take some pictures for you Homer, there was some nice eye candy, but to be honest at my age (I'll be 50 this year) I would have felt like a dirty old man taking pictures of these young ladies,

hell my daughter is older than most of them :eek2:

I was going to take some pictures for you Homer, there was some nice eye candy, but to be honest at my age (I'll be 50 this year) I would have felt like a dirty old man taking pictures of these young ladies,

Start fasting 20-30 days for rejuvenation and health?

To both of you. :)

I believe they are there so you can replicate turret drills after primary systems failure when manual traverse / elevation becomes the order of the day.

Otherwise known as "Keep Fit" Gun Controls! :)

I was going to take some pictures for you Homer, there was some nice eye candy, but to be honest at my age (I'll be 50 this year) I would have felt like a dirty old man taking pictures of these young ladies.

**Nicks Crusty's Camera**

Allow Me.

:biggrin:

You've got tonnes of vehicle and handgun simulators there...there is no time to look for booth babes 8-)

That is why you take a picture so you can look later.

How I rationalize potentially stupid or embarrassing behavior in front of strangers, is to tell myself that I will never see these people again.

Anyway, at least you didn't forget, that it worth something. cheers!

(I can relate with the daughter thing too)