Chally 2

ottoramsaig

• Moderators

Before we write off L30 as ineffective, its not like it hasnt show an ability to make large holes in tough things, which is pretty much the point of at tank gun. HESH in particular has been shown in Iraq to make holes in walls large enough to drive a truck through.:)

Yes indeed, I am reading a book about that right now actually: _Main Battle Tank_ (Niall Edworthy).

In any case, in regards to the round power, I am sure if there is anything amiss, or if someone provides more accurate intel on the matter, then the values will be adjusted accordingly. SB is constantly evolving after all. Knowing that should allow everyone to sleep better at night. :biggrin:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes indeed, I am reading a book about that right now actually: _Main Battle Tank_ (Niall Edworthy).

In any case, in regards to the round power, I am sure if there is anything amiss, or if someone provides more accurate intel on the matter, then the values will be adjusted accordingly. SB is constantly evolving after all. Knowing that should allow everyone to sleep better at night. :biggrin:

Exactly, which Is why I refuse to get worked up about it. Im sure when the real information on it is released everyone is going to be a bit surprised about it. One thing I could ask, can someone please remove the reference to L23 being Charm ammunition. Im reasonably certain it is not, this was fielded long before L30 was, and whilst I gather still being made for Oman, is not Charm because it is not a DU round. Charm1 was L26.

That IS a good book, but im told by a chap writing a book on Challenger2 the full story of that incident where the Chally got cut off still hasnt been told. Certainly the first version of it I read about, the tank has been left behind when it was ambushed. There were also allegedly people on the roof with crowbars trying to get in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Still curious: If we're getting an extra-curricular crewable tank, it begs the question, is the T-72 complete?

Come on, you think that by this point, after a playable T-72 has not been included in over 10 years, that we would just suddenly add it one day?

In any case, I suppose we will just have to wait for the update to know exactly what else is in it, kind of like we normally do, unless there is another ITEC between now and then. ;)

• Members
Is this the thermal reticle? ( It seems to occur later in the video )

Yes.

If it is, why is it swinging around so much? Doesn't the chally 2 have a two-axis stabilized thermal sight?

Because it's mounted on the gun mantlet. It's ... a unique ... and very British solution.

• Moderators
Sure. The T-72 has been a work in progress for years (with a 3D interior already revealed). The sudden appearance of another uncontracted vehicle suggests there's time on e-Sim's hands. Ergo the T-72 has either been completed or sidelined. Either is news.

Well, I am sure you will know the news of what is in the update when there is news available to know, which is normally just before the update is released. Until then, all the same answers to the same questions still apply.

Sure. The T-72 has been a work in progress for years (with a 3D interior already revealed). The sudden appearance of another uncontracted vehicle suggests there's time on e-Sim's hands. Ergo the T-72 has either been completed or sidelined. Either is news.

yeah that'd be the day. i've been waiting for that damn thing for nearly a decade.

I love the pictures, I just have about a million questions! Firstly, I like the thermal sight, but do you have high magnification pictures of that? If not, I guess I already know what it looks like from that YouTube video. Second, at the bottom of both sights, is the FCS actually telling me to switch to high magnification! (It's like Terminator, LOL). Third and last (for now!) Does the day sight swing around like some dude at a bar like the thermal sight? thanks. p.S, sorry, I just needed to make sure, Chally 2 still doesn't have that silly lase-and-then-lay deal, right?

I love the pictures, I just have about a million questions! Firstly, I like the thermal sight, but do you have high magnification pictures of that? If not, I guess I already know what it looks like from that YouTube video. Second, at the bottom of both sights, is the FCS actually telling me to switch to high magnification! (It's like Terminator, LOL). Third and last (for now!) Does the day sight swing around like some dude at a bar like the thermal sight? thanks. p.S, sorry, I just needed to make sure, Chally 2 still doesn't have that silly lase-and-then-lay deal, right?

Pfff, silly? Don you realize that IFCS and CSS were created specifically for the enterainment value?:) In actual fact they did appear to update the Challenger1 fire control circa 1990 and I think that did speed it up a bit. But I think when you read comments about them being lucky to hit a moving target with HESH at 1400 metres you begin to realize there was something left to be desired in the system...

When I was looking at I was very much under the impression that the system on Challenger2 works very similarly to the Leopard2 fire control, which is odd because the fire control system as I understand it was actually based on the Abrams one. Or at least the circuit boards were I read somewhere. They had a problem with the system which resulted in the Tank being held from introduction into service for something like 2 years. The MOD to their credit didnt want a replication of the Challenger1 gunnery problems, some of which may never have been entirely solved.

Yummy.:)

So you're telling me that they still have the lase-and-then-lay deal, but simplified it a little bit? o.K, so theoretically, the process would first involve tracking the target, hitting the lase switch, hitting the lay switch, and then finally yell "firing!" and then contracting your index fingers gently on the trigger. Please correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am.

• Members

I don't want to spoil the fun before the release, but daysight and thermal sight behave differently. Consider the thermal sight a clone of the M1's fire control system, and the daysight more like the Leopard 2, although they aren't identical of course.

Also you may want to practice shooting with a game pad - ideally one with an analog joystick for the right thumb. To make things even more challenging in real life, the "stick" on the Challenger 2 is a piezo-electric thingie, so you don't control things with the actual ovement of the thumb but the amount of pressure that you apply with it...

Ahh..., I get it, so the thermal sight is like the M1A1 with an additional, individual process of laying the gun, and the day sight is like the leopard, also with the separate laying process and (according to the control stick), without the process of individually applying lead.

...the "stick" on the Challenger 2 is a piezo-electric thingie, so you don't control things with the actual ovement of the thumb but the amount of pressure that you apply with it...

Uh-oh, are you sure divulging this type of info on British hardware is okay with them? :biggrin:

I don't want to spoil the fun before the release, but daysight and thermal sight behave differently. Consider the thermal sight a clone of the M1's fire control system, and the daysight more like the Leopard 2, although they aren't identical of course.

Also you may want to practice shooting with a game pad - ideally one with an analog joystick for the right thumb. To make things even more challenging in real life, the "stick" on the Challenger 2 is a piezo-electric thingie, so you don't control things with the actual ovement of the thumb but the amount of pressure that you apply with it...

Thats really very interesting, Id not really appreciated that point before. What a strange thing to do, I can only assume its because they imported some of the TOGS equipment developed for Challenger1.

I dont want to ask too many questions because you clearly want to keep some of it under wraps, but is the Commanders independent viewer being modelled? I read somewhere that in lineup with the gun you can import the TOGS picture onto it.