Neutral side?

DonG

it would be a nice feature to have the possibility to ad a neutral side in the mission editor

with this would make civilian traffic realisic,any change of this being implemented,..

iam building a .sce where my blue has a roadblock setup and through wich civ vehicles are crossing.

it would be nice if you could not see these unit on the map..

it would be a nice feature to have the possibility to ad a neutral side in the mission editor

with this would make civilian traffic realisic,any change of this being implemented,..

iam building a .sce where my blue has a roadblock setup and through wich civ vehicles are crossing.

it would be nice if you could not see these unit on the map..

It's on the List :P

I’m not sure its on either.

However you can work around this current limitation.

I’ve done it through the use of triggers.

I was trying to replicate civilians fleeing in the face of an attack.

First Blue Trigger - If time before X, only fire if fired upon.

First Red Trigger - Also if time before X, units don’t fire are blind and set only Observers able to call indirect fire (no observers in “refugee” group).

Red units consisting of trucks and other civilian / light vehicles move through the AO from the threat side to the rear of Blue. These are setup to continue moving until past the Blue defended area.

Second Blue trigger - If time after X “weapons free”.

Second Red trigger - If time after something (doesn’t have to be X) Red manoeuvre units start rolling but not blind.

The challenge of the check point is to script it so the “civilian“ traffic stops at it. I suspect you’d have to create a zone around it and have the unit stop for a period when it moved into the zone.

But certainly different sides (one for civilians, one for NGOs, another for perhaps irregular enemy [not obviously bad guys with tanks, etc.], ...) is being requested on a regular basis.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

I won't join the speculation about the when and how of an eventual implementation, and I don't intend to start it either. But such a feature certainly has an above average priority to get implemented.

But you don't want just anything that remotely resembles your idea of a neutral side. It should actually work, and add a new dimension. From a first implementation to maturity can sometimes longer than anticipated.

I’m not sure its on either.

However you can work around this current limitation.

I’ve done it through the use of triggers.

I was trying to replicate civilians fleeing in the face of an attack.

First Blue Trigger - If time before X, only fire if fired upon.

First Red Trigger - Also if time before X, units don’t fire are blind and set only Observers able to call indirect fire (not observers in “refugee” group).

Red units consisting of trucks and other civilian / light vehicles move through the AO from the threat side to the rear of Blue. These are setup to continue moving until past the Blue defended area.

Second Blue trigger - If time after X “weapons free”.

Second Red trigger - If time after something (doesn’t have to be X) Red manoeuvre units start rolling but not blind.

The challenge of the check point is to script it so the “civilian“ traffic stops at it. I suspect you’d have to create a zone around it and have the unit stop for a period when it moved into the zone.

But certainly different sides (one for civilians, one for NGOs, another for perhaps irregular enemy [not obviously bad guys with tanks, etc.], ...) is being requested on a regular basis.

I understand that with the triggers you can accompish a lot,but too work out everything you would like is really time consuming,and time is what a lot of people dont have...

I understand that with the triggers you can accompish a lot,but too work out everything you would like is really time consuming,and time is what a lot of people dont have...

Sure but if the choices are:

1. Possible but time consuming.

2. Not possible until some later version sometime in the near / distant future.

Then I'm afraid we are currently stuck with "Option 1" if you want to achieve the effect required.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Still, some things are closer to implementation than others. It's not as if anything can be written off as "pipe dreams" just because it's on The List. In fact, over the past decade many things that were on The List actually made it into the various upgrades. Heck, 3D accelerator support and high resolution rendering were on The List once even though they are now taken for granted (and rightfully so).