CZ Studios Skins

Zipuli

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK Soldiers listen up, CZ Studios Desert M113 pack has been submitted to the d\l section for your enjoyment. There are two versions of the 113 one with markings and one without, I,ve also included the M113 Medevac. All files include the track files. At some point I will render them into TIS images and post. These are both WIP,s so expect newer versions as time permits.

OK Soldiers listen up, CZ Studios Desert M113 pack has been submitted to the d\l section for your enjoyment. There are two versions of the 113 one with markings and one without, I,ve also included the M113 Medevac. All files include the track files. At some point I will render them into TIS images and post. These are both WIP,s so expect newer versions as time permits.

Love them. They are great together with the other CZ Studios desert skins. As you said it is WIP. I missed the topview textures ;) Keep up the great work you guys are doing! Thanks for sharing. :)

By the way, what is your favourite CZ skin and why?

I am curious as the techniques used have changed over time and the style has also seen some changes (for better hopefully :)). Sometimes when making this stuff, at least I personally get a bit blind on what works and why etc. Others will look the skins in different way I hope! So some feedback from others may prove helpful in future skins. Thanks in advance!

Zip

By the way, what is your favourite CZ skin and why?

I am curious as the techniques used have changed over time and the style has also seen some changes (for better hopefully :)). Sometimes when making this stuff, at least I personally get a bit blind on what works and why etc. Others will look the skins in different way I hope! So some feedback from others may prove helpful in future skins. Thanks in advance!

Zip

I have not really a favorite CZ skin. I like em all. Although I want to give you guys some feedback. Personally I like the details added, nicely done with just a little dust/dirt. But the last CZ skin of the Leo2a4 has IMO too much dirt/mud. Add a little dust/dirt/mud here and there but not too much. I know the armor will get muddy in the field but somehow the skin does not match in the scenery of the sim.

Cheers!

Thanks Wick, I thought I answer this one to give a bit insight to the problems encountered with the skinning.

Muddy Leo - it's true it doesn't match most of the scenery available in game. In "normal" brighter setting (Germany, leaf trees, summer, most of the scenarios availble are like this) it just stands out too much, you're 100% right! The older (v.1.2) Leo has the lightly dusty appearence of the other vehicles and that's why I didn't want to "update" that one, but rather create completely new one for an option (I use it for autumn only (fin theme), same reason). I think it works quite well with autumn maps with heavy dark woods (such as my Finn maps, screenshots above) and perhaps low visibility, have you tried this? Of course the dusty one lacks the camo nets and some of the detail, but not much ;). If there's demand I can easily update the woodland skin to these standards detail-wise and also add the nets as an option.

I also noticed when I started my first weatherings, that adding lots of dry mud on the skins (kind of white, like it looks in reality most of the time) the skin stands out WAY too much (doesn't fit any scenery well, looks more like UN tanks from distance ;)), and that's why I desided to go with the more brownish-kind-of dust and mud seen in most of the skins. It simply fits the game-world better!

As a comparison here are some pics of the real thing after only some time outdoors. Depends on weather, the sides are usually white or dark mud brown, but either kind of skin in the game world doesn't fit in as the game conditions are the same all the time. Also the different Leo skins seen here, the muddy one fits these conditions nicely (IMO), but not the ones in the other pic.

Kind of long "answer" :)

Zip

muddy.jpg.841d55f7a2214192c547ca5853ace3

muddy_game.JPG.ed43ea85210edeb872b5af5e0

Muddy_side.JPG.f040a5277dc4c7c421f9f6fa5

Muddy_winter.JPG.6bd1af24793f5c39af96ae0

Dusty.JPG.882812f8280774dc7e517fa0dc0036

muddy.jpg.841d55f7a2214192c547ca5853ace3

muddy_game.JPG.ed43ea85210edeb872b5af5e0

Muddy_side.JPG.f040a5277dc4c7c421f9f6fa5

Muddy_winter.JPG.6bd1af24793f5c39af96ae0

Dusty.JPG.882812f8280774dc7e517fa0dc0036

I've also been re-working the Fin T-72M1. The old skin was OK, but being the first CZ skin ever it was quite rough in today's standards. So Here's some shots - WIP very early stage, so there's still lots of stuff not finished like the other rondel waay too low, some colour balance stuff (looks too clean) etc. The camo pattern is ready and I added some light dust to sides so far. Added camo nets to see how it looks like with them. Comments? Do you guys like the "net skins", or do you rather run them "naked"? I think the skins look quite aggressive with the nets, but I guess they really have no effect on human player spotting etc due to LODs - but still nice eye-candy anyways! In the pics the skin is still without Congo's detail-work. I've sent him the skin and I'll continue the work on weathering etc. This skin will also receive winterizing some day :)

Zip

blade.JPG.0f6a37e14a94adc922c0140f6bd7e4

hunter.JPG.0a1e102b918e0cb63b08eb5fe69ed

nonets.JPG.06027d4af6f75b585b29bb63e73cb

nonets2.JPG.5a1e64788c036ffca5719f9eac4b

blade.JPG.0f6a37e14a94adc922c0140f6bd7e4

hunter.JPG.0a1e102b918e0cb63b08eb5fe69ed

nonets.JPG.06027d4af6f75b585b29bb63e73cb

nonets2.JPG.5a1e64788c036ffca5719f9eac4b

I hope you could get rid of that ugly schnorkel tube and add a box there, but I suppose it would not happen with a skinwork only. ;) It just simply sticks out like a sore thumb. Otherwise looks great what you are doing with the netting.

As a development idea: could you add some "kuusenoksa" in there instead of the netting? Again very difficult to add full tree trunks in the model with skin only, but when I think of Finn armor I always think of natural camo. Ie. lots of "kuusi" wired to the boxes and barrel, moss and such all over the tank.

-jippo

Jippo, I've ran a few tests with the natural camoflage and it looks terrible. With nets it doesn't look perfect either, but it's better as the nets usually don't need to be in 3D, but the kuusi really needs a 3D effect otherwise it looks plain silly. Only place where they work even little is around the barrel and on the light covers etc. but they will not break the form as they are supposed to. That's why I'm doing only nets - and also give a non-net version as an alternative.

Zip

Hey,

gave it the muddy treatment with some 10 new layers for different kind of shite, wear and tear, weathering and scrapes & scratch. This is something new I've been testing. Of course you should see it in-game, but I won't let that happen before Congo has done the detail-work etc. ;) I upped the vehicle's brightness a bit as the nets and mud make it appear rather dark when compared to the dusty vehicles. Next thing is to make the winterizing with & without (winter/snowy) nets using some techniques inspired by mr. Rogue :)!

Comments, please!

Zip

muddy_nonets.JPG.5479a22260c99dfae4a2f7e

muddy_nonets2.JPG.2a441f34b6e719e8eccf34

nets_mud.JPG.3d7644f22138cc38ee1eed46862

nets_mud2.JPG.1883a7e474c4ce1ce04a14ccb6

nets_mud3.JPG.29b5e10b6a4c64759d8149218c

muddy_nonets.JPG.5479a22260c99dfae4a2f7e

muddy_nonets2.JPG.2a441f34b6e719e8eccf34

nets_mud.JPG.3d7644f22138cc38ee1eed46862

nets_mud2.JPG.1883a7e474c4ce1ce04a14ccb6

nets_mud3.JPG.29b5e10b6a4c64759d8149218c

Just for fun, the old and new (WIP) skin together in same pic. I hope the new one looks better to you guys too! And that's still without Congo's magic touch on the details. I don't say before and after as the new skin is made from the scratch! I made the camo pattern using photos as refs this time (like we have done in every skin after the T-72 - the first one). The new one looks more aggressive and life-like IMO. Also a lot has happened in the weathering/dirt front after the older one.

Zip

ps. the camo pattern is from photos in mil.fi and it appears to be a bit different from the pics seen in the slideshow. I think the ones I used is the newer pattern as I saw that same pattern in T-72s in exercise in 2004. Or maybe there are many used? I noticed same thing with BMP; 1980's camo pattern was different from the one used now, same with Leo - the ref pics in mil.fi seem to have older pattern than the one applied to Leos I've used (also more boxes & handles & non-skid is added later).

OLDNEW.JPG.25a407e7f6710f3284ab842bd0ff5

OLDNEW.JPG.25a407e7f6710f3284ab842bd0ff5

Jippo, I've ran a few tests with the natural camoflage and it looks terrible. With nets it doesn't look perfect either, but it's better as the nets usually don't need to be in 3D, but the kuusi really needs a 3D effect otherwise it looks plain silly. Only place where they work even little is around the barrel and on the light covers etc. but they will not break the form as they are supposed to. That's why I'm doing only nets - and also give a non-net version as an alternative.

Zip

Ok, cool. I thought so but had to ask...

I think the netting option does look very good, and is a very good alternative to the natural camo. To me it would just look plain wrong to see Finn tanks going into combat without camo, and net is a very good option since we cannot have natural camo.

But possibility to add some 3D trees to the tanks... ...that would really be something!

-jippo

That looks great zip. If you get time a soviet version would be awsome. Russian green base, with some Russian markings. Would be nice to have for the First Clash guys.

I have a large markings file for photoshop I've been building for the last few years. Its about 43 mbs, I can put it up at an upload site if you need it. Has alot of various national markings etc.