Tankfest pictures

Crusty

Yes I was surprised and pleased to actually see it there,

here's a couple of better pictures of it,

Looking at the link, the control panel and screen setuplooks quite large,

I wonder where they manage to sqeeze that in?

maybe they have a smaller version.

Yes, thats a very good point. I dont know if that would mean they would have to remove a round in order to fit the control panel. Might have made more sense giving the system to the commander, but then in fairness its not like he doesnt have enough to do fighting the tank. Many nations have deleted their commanders weapon for this reason.

Be nice to see variant this in Steel Beasts.

Im vaguely certain the CV580 (as I vaguely seem to recall the CIV was called, built by Thales wasnt it?) had a capacity to fit a thermal sight, but for whatever reason they didnt. Probably the same affliction that affected the Abrams, IE when they reached the turret top they ran out of money.:)

they named it megatron?

Well at least it's current and topical with the latest Transformer movie having been just been released in the UK,

The CR2 and Scimitar were being run by the ATDU (Armoured Trials and Development Unit) based at Bovi,that's what the little yellow penant was showing, so I imagine they don't have to keep with the more traditional names.

Very nice. Are all these vehicles at the museum on a continual basis, or were they brought in just for Tankfest?

Not all of them belonged to the museum, of the ones in the pics the

ones that I think are privately owned are,

Panzer4, Comet and maybe the Cent BARV,

And of the current RAC ones, you might see them running about the camp if you visit on a week day.

There was a chap who used to post on Tanknet who owned a very nice Valentine DD, and used to take it along to Bovie every year. Dont know if he still does.

Bovie has always thrown an excellent show, but I think the best ive ever seen was Beltring around 2000 (before they started to mess it up). Privately owned Shermans, Vismod Tigers and Panthers, a privately owned Challenger1 and Leopard1, Centurion AVRE (veteran of Suez and Desert Storm) a fair sprinkling of T72s (at least one ex Iraqi), and I distinctly recall 2 BMPs for sale. Those were the days.:(

Be nice if they brought the Larkhill Battle day back as well. They held it once in 2002 and never held it again. Nothing quite like being able to stand 500 feet away from a Challenger 2 putting steel down range.:biggrin:

Some of the experimental and prototype tanks, MBT80, Jagd chieftain, Chieftain 900 and Chieftain prototype G1.

Been to bovi many times but have not managed a tankfest yet looks like I am going to have to make sure I make it as I can say I have seen any of those previously especially the chieftain tank hunter.

Thanks for the post