Comming upgrade thread

oscar19681

Since there doesnt seem to be a dedicated thread for the next upgrade yet i desided to make one. So post everything that has to do with the coming upgrade here!

Ill start of with a question. Will there be some dismounted crew when the a vehicle is criticly hit? Combat mission shock force does model this and it really adds something cool and living to the game to see crew bail out (and get sprayed by machine gun fire) Its something i,ve allways missed in SBP. I think it wouldnt be to hard to at leatsy model a 3 to 4 man infantry sprites around the vehicle when hit right?

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well since there currently aren’t even people in hatches when its opened up I suspect getting a dismounted crew is a long way off.

What do you do with them once they dismount?

“Gamey” players of CM:SF are known to use them as some sort of dismounted infantry to seize and hold objectives, which is one thing I’m quite happy that SB Pro PE isn’t vulnerable to.

Oh and there was a whole thread devoted to the use (or not) of coax on dismounted crews.

AIUI, there’s a bunch more fundamental stuff being worked on before this sort of “chrome”.

Since I don't want to resurrect the old wishlist thread, I'll just post it here:

I would very much like:

a platoon command option that prompts AI tank commanders to report current ammo status

and

a platoon command option (preferably with hotkey) to order the entire platoon to pop smoke/turn engine smoke on simultaneously (or almost). This option will really come in handy especially when commanding a 3-car platoon

• Members

Bailing crew - aside from the associated work that seems to be disproportional to the amount of utility of it - is not a clear-cut thing. With lightly armored vehicles, the decision to bail is a no-brainer once that it has been immobilized. For a heavily armored vehicle however it may be prudent to sit tight and wait for an armored recovery vehicle to pull one out even if the vehicle is being swarmed over by enemy infantry (e.g. see Niall Edworthy's book "Main Battle Tank" which has a memorable episode about it).

Guest HAVOC131
Will there be 3D models of female tank crews with bouncing breasts?

Are they on the list?

Bouncy road wheels first then the other two....

Shadows.

Nothing too fancy. We don't need full specular lighting, just something to enhance the current environment.

I don't know why, but in the original SB I was always able to read undulations in the terrain much easier than in SB Pro, and simple shadows helped. Some may have been 'over compensated' but it is a game after all so some allowances have to be made compared to real life.

Below are some shots from the original SB to highlight my point. Basic shadows beneath trees and vehicles also help 'ground' them:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2295&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1503&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2190&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2277&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2359&g2_serialNumber=2

Edited by Quagmire

Guest HAVOC131
Well if you do a search with “suspension” there are about 250 hits.

I haven’t checked them all but there are some that say “it must be fixed”, etc.

Well if you do a search on bouncing breasts you get 24,000,000 hits. I haven’t checked them all but there are some that say “it must be added”, etc.

Shadows.

Nothing too fancy. We don't need full specular lighting, just something to enhance the current environment.

I don't know why, but in the original SB I was always able to read undulations in the terrain much easier than in SB Pro, and simple shadows helped. Some may have been 'over compensated' but it is a game after all so some allowances have to be made compared to real life.

Below are some shots from the original SB to highlight my point. Basic shadows beneath trees and vehicles also help 'ground' them:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2295&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1503&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2190&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2277&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2359&g2_serialNumber=2

Wow, brings back some memories there. I had forgotten about those shadows!

• 2 weeks later...

Ponies is the best suggestion yet. No ponies, no bueno.

On a less important note, I'd love a hint about crewable American vehicles. I'm hoping we get one from the current millenium.

I think a save plan feature, civilians and multiple sides will push the sim forward furthest. Next comes introducing interesting AI vehicles (T-90M comes to mind), closely followed by making an OPFOR tank crewable. 3D crew/infantry/civilians would be nice, but it's at the bottom of my list.

Modest, no?

Edited by FlatTax
Brevity