Comming upgrade thread

oscar19681

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess Radio Aerials would be the first things to go?

Well I’ve found them resilient since they are whip mounted (not fixed like a car one).

The biggest issue I’ve had in forests is “barrel strikes” or “bustle strikes“ where the barrel or the back of the turret hits a tree.

Often caused because the turret isn’t at 12 O’Clock and the idiot in the driver’s seat forgets there is this big piece of metal hanging over one side or the other.

Often the barrel hits a tree and destroys the traverse clutch and the turret can end up spinning due to the momentum of the tank going forward and the barrel suddenly stopping and the leverage the length of the barrel provides.

• Members
The biggest issue I’ve had in forests is “barrel strikes” or “bustle strikes“ where the barrel or the back of the turret hits a tree.

Often caused because the turret isn’t at 12 O’Clock and the idiot in the driver’s seat forgets there is this big piece of metal hanging over one side or the other.

Isn't that more the idiocy of gunner and commander?

The driver can't constantly monitor the turret position, so it's the commander's job to look out for possible collisions and order the driver to stop, or the gunner to scan the front. That's precisely why in SB Pro the computer-controlled crews will switch to unstabilized mode and keep the gun forward.

Isn't that more the idiocy of gunner and commander?

The driver can't constantly monitor the turret position, so it's the commander's job to look out for possible collisions and order the driver to stop, or the gunner to scan the front. That's precisely why in SB Pro the computer-controlled crews will switch to unstabilized mode and keep the gun forward.

Sure but because there is no commander’s override for the accelerator unfortunately there tends to be a lag between “slow down there’s a tree coming” to “stop” to “STOP!” to “you $%$&^#$ $%@#^@$%^ #$^$@$%^@$%&@ is there something wrong with your headset!”

This “conversation” is usually followed by a more intimate and physical discussion between the driver and the gunner.

While the commander starts the paperwork.

Well I’ve found them resilient since they are whip mounted (not fixed like a car one).

Often the barrel hits a tree and destroys the traverse clutch and the turret can end up spinning due to the momentum of the tank going forward and the barrel suddenly stopping and the leverage the length of the barrel provides.

Yes Sir, I remember reading about a similar incident in the book "Thunder Run." The turret of the M1A1 spun so much that the crew was disoriented with motion sickness.

I don't want to promise anything, but we're working on it. :)

I would like to see some more work done on the AFV's we now have. Being able to fire the ATGM on the Jag, The cannon on the Mardar, YPR.BMP,BTR,etc.

A land command for the helo's would also be nice.:biggrin:

Having these AFV, but unable to fire them is a major bummer.:decu:

So word on the street is that the new upgrade will have 3d units, what about crew finally? At the very least could we have sprite crew. Its pretty impossible to tell if someone is turned out at range if theres nothing there, and it looks quite distracting in technicals and humvees.

• Moderators
So word on the street is that the new upgrade will have 3d units, what about crew finally? At the very least could we have sprite crew. Its pretty impossible to tell if someone is turned out at range if theres nothing there, and it looks quite distracting in technicals and humvees.

One step at a time...

Yes Sir, I remember reading about a similar incident in the book "Thunder Run." The turret of the M1A1 spun so much that the crew was disoriented with motion sickness.

We had a dismount NCO in the commanders position on a M2A2 - I'm not sure why he was there - maybe filling in for the BC. He thought it would be fun to spin the turret in circles while moving down a tank trail and hit a tree with the barrel. The turret was OK but the barrel was bent. He shouldn't have had a commanders override - lol. I'm glad I wasn't on that track ;-)

Since when does postcount on a forum say anything about experience with a given product? :)

No idea, because that is not what I said.

My comment was related to the joining date, nothing about the number of posts. :)

I just found it amusing that someone who joined after the last upgrade is talking about “finally”.

For the US Army, it is the vehicle commander’s responsibility to ensure the gun tube will not get banged around on trees, fence post, and will not get stuck in the mud when the vehicle goes into a ditch or hole.

For the US Army, it is the vehicle commander’s responsibility to ensure the gun tube will not get banged around on trees, fence post, and will not get stuck in the mud when the vehicle goes into a ditch or hole.

Interesting, for Swedish army its the driver. He's the fellow who knows where he is driving and sees the terrain in front of him. TC is to busy reading map, reporting contacts, keep visual on the other tanks in the plt and direct the gunner.

Interesting, for Swedish army its the driver. He's the fellow who knows where he is driving and sees the terrain in front of him. TC is to busy reading map, reporting contacts, keep visual on the other tanks in the plt and direct the gunner.

Hi KT

nice to see you back on here. In the British Army the responsibility for safety lies directly in the Commanders lap. Thats the safety of his crew, his vehicle and everything else.

Thats why he gets paid more or at least thats what they told us LOL

Irish

@ john.gear, IrishHussar & Kingtiger.

As a non-real-life-tanker myself I find it interesting how the responsibility for the barrel is left with different crew members.

I can understand the commander being responsible as he has greater situational awareness and can clearly see the direction and elevation from the turret. But if its the driver who has to be aware do you have any screens or dials indicating the turret's direction? Does it also show elevation when driving downhill into ditches for example?

I can't imagine the driver has a great field-of-view unlike the commander when it comes to this, especially your post regarding traffic. Can a tank driver clearly see to the left and right for other vehicles? I would assume you have quite a few 'blind spots' in your view.

Thanks all, I'm curious about this one.

Cheers!

Q