Boresighting the M1, MUST SEE IF YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE M1!

jazjar

Look at this: http://www.military.com/entertainment/offbeat/how-to-put-steel-on-target I just only recently learned that shooting the target is not the only important thing a tank crew does. This rather insightful article gives a peek into an aspect of a tanker's life that Steelbeasts does not replicate, at all. I'm just surprised by the fact that I can now look at an interior photo of a M1 and go, wow! I know what all of those knobs and switches do now (most of them, anyway) ! ( by the way all of this is coming from a non-tanker) Anyways, enjoy the detailed interior pics and detailed descriptions. Have fun!

• Moderators

Yeah, I can tell you all about that if someone wants to know. To make a long story short: we jump in our virtual tanks in SB and have all the fun, but there were many hours of boring work (like boresighting and maintenance) done before that can happen. ;) Still, boresighting and screening on the gunnery range can be quite fun.

So, next time you virtual armchair generals jump into tactical tuesday or whtever online, thank your imaginary crew for aligning the gun so perfectly so you can brag about "your" 4,000m sniper kills! How hard would this be to implement in SB?

• Members

Remember, Steel Beasts is a combat simulation and not necessarily an "Armor Branch Daily Activity" simulation. I once toyed with the idea of us developing a game like "Tank Platoon Manager" where you'd have to manage your soldiers, beg, borrow, or steal spare parts and tools, do maintenance, and push lots of army paper. Prepare live fire exercises with range reservation, boresighting, filling out live ammo order forms, do some preventive maintenance before going to the actual range, still have multiple failures to solve, and then end the game immediately before the first round gets fired.

:biggrin:

Fortunately we never found the time for this. :debile2:

:cul:

Fortunately we never found the time for this. :debile2:

:cul:

And I, for one, thank you for that! I much prefer shooting, maneuvering, and communicating, you know the fun stuff, to boresighting, hitting the sync ramp, performing AACs, and having to do MRS updates every 8 to 10 rounds. Not to mention staying in the motor pool till twenty past dark o'clock on a Friday night just because that HEMTT full of track showed up a 1730...

Damn my slow typing, beat to the point by a CDAT!

Remember, Steel Beasts is a combat simulation and not necessarily an "Armor Branch Daily Activity" simulation. I once toyed with the idea of us developing a game like "Tank Platoon Manager" where you'd have to manage your soldiers, beg, borrow, or steal spare parts and tools...

Possibly implemented with a percentage risk of failure resulting in disciplinary proceedings or a supply NCO beating your ass/asses of the crewmen you sent on Operation Get Shit Working Again with a monkey wrench for trying to steal his spare parts which must be hoarded and never used no matter how broken your vehicle is.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone in this forum said something about zeroing in conjunction with boresighting, and just today I was looking at the M1's beautifully modelled turret interior and on the Gunner's CCP I noticed the "zero" button underneath the "boresight" one. What does this mean? What is "zeroing" on an Abrams and is it an integral thing for a tank crew to do?

Possibly implemented with a percentage risk of failure resulting in disciplinary proceedings or a supply NCO beating your ass/asses of the crewmen you sent on Operation Get Shit Working Again with a monkey wrench for trying to steal his spare parts which must be hoarded and never used no matter how broken your vehicle is.

Yeah, we had a supply sgt. that proudly showed me his stack of 84 V-belts he had hoarded.

Asked, he told me he is here since 4 years. 5 v-belts needed replacement in that time.

Congrats sgt, you have a supply for the next 15 years at hand!!

The zero button is used to input zero data, called Computer Correction Factors, for different kinds of rounds. Typically most tanks utilize the "fleet zero" (i.e. the mean zero determined for that lot of ammunition), but if during screening the tank is found to be unacceptably off a discrete zero for that ammo type maybe determined. Mind you this only applies to training ammo as service sabots are too expensive to waste on screening, and HEAT rounds tend to detonate when striking the screening panel...:biggrin:

• Moderators
You're quite right, my bad. It's been a decade and I'm trying to pull this stuff straight out of memory...:frown:. Honestly jazjar you can find all you need to know right here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/12779685/fm320.

Ah, sorry, I wasn't trying to sharp shoot you; I didn't see where you mentioned the Zero key and I was just replying to the question. Yes, it is very easy to forget all of this stuff, I just happened to remember the Zero key for some reason... :shocked: