Smoothbore gun accuracy

jazjar

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know what if wrong there, but sure as hell we didn't send you a special SB Pro version that behaves differently than any other.

It was the special 2.538BOC edition.

I can never get a round into the M1's gunsight main circle at 1500 meters.

Alright, enough of this BS. Post a vid on Youtube already.

O.K, yes, I spent some time with dta delta on multiplayer with a challenger 2 flank target shooting from an M1A1 with M829A2 at 1500 meters. I fired six rounds at the enemy tank and something amazing happened. All six of them impacted inside the GPS mil circle. I then took some shots in the single player mode and we got the funny feeling that single player dispersion was actually worse than multiplayer dispersion. Yes, you read correctly. I say this with confidence, I don't know why this is, but I have a feeling I'm correct, and I have no clue why.

No, I was simply noticing that the rounds in MP were consistently hitting the target within the innrer mil circle (none slipped outside, or even came close), while the rounds in SP were constantly slipping outside the circle. That is what I'm saying

A lot of the myths or beliefs that first round misses are common is from the old WWII days of Smooth bore accuracy. Technology has come ALONG way to overcome that problem. Not to say a smooth bore is as accurate as a rifled barrel.

I have always had the saying. "If you put enough powder behind it, it will go where you want it."

A lot of the myths or beliefs that first round misses are common is from the old WWII days of Smooth bore accuracy. Technology has come ALONG way to overcome that problem. Not to say a smooth bore is as accurate as a rifled barrel.

I have always had the saying. "If you put enough powder behind it, it will go where you want it."

All the same, there are plenty of myths surrounding general tank gun accuracy, smooth bore or otherwise, technology not withstanding. That's partly the reason for this thread. Given the vast number of variables that goes into launching a round using contained explosive force up to 3200 meters to actually hit anything, a 36" Circle of Probable Error at 1500 meters looks pretty damn good to me. Ask anyone who's done this for a living and they'll tell you that what passes for a kill versus plywood on the range just doesn't translate when the targets can shoot back.

• Moderators
...Ask anyone who's done this for a living and they'll tell you that what passes for a kill versus plywood on the range just doesn't translate when the targets can shoot back.

Exactly. As those who have been there and got the T-shirt know, on the range you just have to hit the barn sized silhouette anywhere -- target. In reality the hit might translate to hitting track, roadwheels, or something inconsequential. Against an actual target shooting back in SB, a user always wants to hit a sweet spot and get that kill: they want to hit that turret ring or ammo storage. But as any real gunner knows, in real life you simply aim center mass and hope for a hit, continue to reengage the target until it stops moving or changes shape. If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself within BSGT range to the enemy tank, then you might aim for something specific sure, and this is possible in SB.

The impression of laser beam type accuracy from (apparently) watching the History Channel is just not the case.