Saturday 10th Sep, 1800GMT, Gatekeeper mission 2

Zipuli

Brief says we are to pull back one hour into mission to NE of gatesvill then resupply in preperation for a counter attack later.

Understood.

What concerns me is the ammo states as provided in Zipuli’s SITREP has both remaining Tk PLs with a mid to low ammo state and we still need to impose an hours delay before the main replen.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gibson, it's good that you mentioned "moving up and down", because I have a small rant to make. Now I realize that some of my credibility (if any to begin with) as a lecturer on survivability must be somewhat marred by the sight of three burning M901 analogues in the background, but still.

I suggest tank platoons remind themselves about some things, which should not include:

-sitting still on top of a hill fully visible while waiting for contacts to appear

-blasting away at every heat signature up to 4km, when ammo sufficiency is a concern (and pen. vs. arm. values don't serve this tactic anyway)

Instead, I feel they should include:

-which part of the tank to show to the enemy and in what situations, if at all (ie. observing one's AOR with self visible top to bottom)

-observation in general - does everyone need to be even turret up all the time?

-basic maneuvers to make, for example between shots and while loading.

Now I'm not saying these things happened all the time all around, but sometimes when I had the time to see what was happening elsewhere, things quite often seemed a little...static.

Tell me what you think, especially if you disagree. Hell, I might have been watching AI tanks for all I know. But I think it still applies. :biggrin:

Well sure if this were a real Coy, my SSM would be offering a whole bunch of frank and fearless advice to the key appointments about vehicle positioning and a bunch of other individual vehicle craft issues that make a huge difference overall.

However as the skill set across the Coy no doubt varies and many probably want to be gunners instead of commanders (i.e. just want to “blow sh*t up”), performance will often be sub par.

In addition complex manoeuvre / vehicle craft like “jockeying” (a more doctrinal term than “moving up and down” :)) is hard to do when you have two people running four vehicles instead of sixteen.

I’d love to have three others in my vehicle so I could give a crew brief and then rely on them to each execute their part, but unless PL Comdr’s spend a whole bunch of time in F5 scripting the moves of their vehicles (and then jumping from one to the other to make sure the spots they picked were right) which might see the vehicle move properly, but probably reduce the enjoyment factor, I think you will end up with some players focused on gunnery and forget about the other considerations.

As to engagement ranges, well again we can plot control measures like drawing EAs on the map, but again unless the PL Comdr is drilled and disciplined, there will be a propensity for “if you see it shoot it”.

I think key players though did the “right thing”. I didn’t fire a round and I don’t think the CO did either until towards the end when we were effectively the COY’s situational reserve and were moving to plug the hole (although 2 tks against the Bn(-) would have been “interesting” if the battle had continued).

So could we do better - sure.

If I had a rant (as is my in character role) would it p*ss people off and reduce attendance tonight - sure.

People play this for enjoyment / challenge but unless every position is fully manned with people who know what they are doing (no offence to the players meant), i.e. a fully qualified and drilled group of 56 tk crewman who have worked together, built up skills and trust the other guy to do what’s expected by reflex, its not going to be text book.

Well sure if this were a real Coy, my SSM would be offering a whole bunch of frank and fearless advice to the key appointments about vehicle positioning and a bunch of other individual vehicle craft issues that make a huge difference overall.

However as the skill set across the Coy no doubt varies and many probably want to be gunners instead of commanders (i.e. just want to “blow sh*t up”), performance will often be sub par.

In addition complex manoeuvre / vehicle craft like “jockeying” (a more doctrinal term than “moving up and down” :)) is hard to do when you have two people running four vehicles instead of sixteen.

I’d love to have three others in my vehicle so I could give a crew brief and then rely on them to each execute their part, but unless PL Comdr’s spend a whole bunch of time in F5 scripting the moves of their vehicles (and then jumping from one to the other to make sure the spots they picked were right) which might see the vehicle move properly, but probably reduce the enjoyment factor, I think you will end up with some players focused on gunnery and forget about the other considerations.

As to engagement ranges, well again we can plot control measures like drawing EAs on the map, but again unless the PL Comdr is drilled and disciplined, there will be a propensity for “if you see it shoot it”.

I think key players though did the “right thing”. I didn’t fire a round and I don’t think the CO did either until towards the end when we were effectively the COY’s situational reserve and were moving to plug the hole (although 2 tks against the Bn(-) would have been “interesting” if the battle had continued).

So could we do better - sure.

If I had a rant (as is my in character role) would it p*ss people off and reduce attendance tonight - sure.

People play this for enjoyment / challenge but unless every position is fully manned with people who know what they are doing (no offence to the players meant), i.e. a fully qualified and drilled group of 56 tk crewman who have worked together, built up skills and trust the other guy to do what’s expected by reflex, its not going to be text book.

We are basicly throwing together players (some of which have never played together) of differnet skill levels to fight in a difficult scenario. I don't imagine an army would allow soldiers who are all trained seperately(or not at all) in just about every aspect of modern armoured combat to be put together at battle time and told. "Figure out comms and terms and tactics you all understand and make it work quick. Here is the manuall for your vehicle good luck" Hopefully by this point 90% of the rest of the army has been destroyed.

This week I am going to go over with each and every player one by one their idividual whisper set up to ensure that comm channels are in order. Here is the template We will use.

PL LDR's -1. One whisper channel within your platoon with each platoon member.

2. One whisper channel containing CO/B and every other PL LDR. I want PL LDR's to hear what other PL LDR's say to the Co and what I say to them to help in situational awareness.

Platoon members - 1. You will have only one whisper channel. Your platoon containg all members of your platoon only.

Command Channel1 -1 Gibsonm, Hedghog,and Myself

Command Channel2-1 Gibsonm, Kingtiger.

Also I had issues raising PL LDR's on comms during the last battle. If you have any Mic or TS problems do not take a PL slot.

If We are defeated fine, But it had better not be because of Poor or @ucked up comms.

Any chance of a list of what vehicles have what damages/ammo loadout? Would help in co-ordinating repair/resupply, as well as who's unit is even fit to defend a particualr area. Would simulate The Status report I would have received from each units PL just after Battle 1.

As I said in the other thread, 16% of my rifle platoon was KIA (1 LMG team), and one m113 was immobilized - but I think it's going to be repaired for this game.

I also want to reiterate what Brun said, if your coms are fucked up or you can't speak english please dont be a PL.

You haven't seen her in person??

Anywhoo, the point is to have fun, though having a slight degree of realism in it. As an online community we propably don't want to go to the serious gaming. But having a certain level of professionalism in it will bring more satisfying results (teamplay vs. deathmatch).

"RECON, this is BN HQ:

Our EW units have identified a large formation moving our way, estimated a Motor Rifle Division. Whether their point of main effort is here in our sector, or way south of it, is not yet known. The intel received confirms that a tank regiment (T-80, BMP-2) will be used in the point of main effort. Eny sighting of the said unit (and equipment) will be of utmost importance for our higher up! Be advised, that recon companies have been using BMP-2 as well. During the next 2 hours you should spot this unit if it is moving our way. Out!"

Hmmm...

ADDITIONAL INFO FOR BLUE:

The H element will have

1x M113A3 (Sgt Major)

2x HEMTT ammo

1x HEMTT fuel

1x M88

1x M113 Medical

The main routes through GATESVILLE (marked green on tactical map) are needed for Bn main body to move into defensive positions. Do not block these routes, or the battalion forces (AI) may get clusterf***ed.

"RECON, this is BN HQ:

Our EW units have identified a large formation moving our way, estimated a Motor Rifle Division. Whether their point of main effort is here in our sector, or way south of it, is not yet known. The intel received confirms that a tank regiment (T-80, BMP-2) will be used in the point of main effort. Eny sighting of the said unit (and equipment) will be of utmost importance for our higher up! Be advised, that recon companies have been using BMP-2 as well. During the next 2 hours you should spot this unit if it is moving our way. Out!"

Hmmm...

ADDITIONAL INFO FOR BLUE:

The H element will have

1x M113A3 (Sgt Major)

2x HEMTT ammo

1x HEMTT fuel

1x M88

1x M113 Medical

The main routes through GATESVILLE (marked green on tactical map) are needed for Bn main body to move into defensive positions. Do not block these routes, or the battalion forces (AI) may get clusterf***ed.

So, if we see T-80s we're buggered? :eek2:

Well, its nice to know Corps HQ cares about us lowly grunts......

Our EW guys have worked their arses off and have come to following conclusion:

The enemy managed to deploy for attack just east of South Mountain. Looks like a main body of a Motor Rifle Regiment. According to intercepted radio coms, they were harassed during the march to LOD by artillery and small patrols of infantry/APCs, but no real harm was done. Contact to one tank platoon was lost during the march. The enemy has at least one battalion of artillery in support. Their chopper losses were heavy and no more choppers are predicted in this sector. The enemy main effort is most likely not in our battalion's AOR.

The enemy unit has been tasked to take Gatesville. They will probably launch a full out assault against it during the following few hours. Expect the worst.

In other news, the blue Bn CO was killed in an airstrike. along went the whole staff and HQ. Brun as the senior officer is assuming command for mission 3, though the defending companies (C/D) will continue according to their defensive plans. Brun will decide the point where to counterattack and when to decimate the red main attack. For this mission the last of the battalions reserves are attached to BRAVO and will be under Brun's command.

So mission 3 will be the armourgeddon, that decides the outcome on this sector. Lose it and Ruskies will take kewl photos of themselves climbing the Eifel Tower. Out.

Our EW guys have worked their arses off and have come to following conclusion:

The enemy managed to deploy for attack just east of South Mountain. Looks like a main body of a Motor Rifle Regiment. According to intercepted radio coms, they were harassed during the march to LOD by artillery and small patrols of infantry/APCs, but no real harm was done. Contact to one tank platoon was lost during the march. The enemy has at least one battalion of artillery in support. Their chopper losses were heavy and no more choppers are predicted in this sector. The enemy main effort is most likely not in our battalion's AOR.

The enemy unit has been tasked to take Gatesville. They will probably launch a full out assault against it during the following few hours. Expect the worst.

In other news, the blue Bn CO was killed in an airstrike. along went the whole staff and HQ. Brun as the senior officer is assuming command for mission 3, though the defending companies (C/D) will continue according to their defensive plans. Brun will decide the point where to counterattack and when to decimate the red main attack. For this mission the last of the battalions reserves are attached to BRAVO and will be under Brun's command.

So mission 3 will be the armourgeddon, that decides the outcome on this sector. Lose it and Ruskies will take kewl photos of themselves climbing the Eifel Tower. Out.

I was givin command of D,B/Co's in the brave rifles campaign in a similer situation of loss of leadership. I've been in some risky even stupid positions on the battle field as Co almost wanting the enemy to take a shot at Me, but I somehow get out by the skin o' my teeth. I then end up promoted when I should have been diciplined.

I was givin command of D,B/Co's in the brave rifles campaign in a similer situation of loss of leadership. I've been in some risky even stupid positions on the battle field as Co almost wanting the enemy to take a shot at Me, but I somehow get out by the skin o' my teeth. I then end up promoted when I should have been diciplined.

Brun's new motto " Out Front Sir!!"

Life is funny that way =)