the Netherlands selling even more Leo's

rump

This time a whole battalion of them, to Portugal.

From http://www.defense-update.com/newscast/0208/news_0208.htm#sep :

Portuguese Armor Modernized with Leopard 2A6, Pandur II

Portugal is acquiring a battalion Leopard 2A6 main battle tanks from the Netherlands. These tanks will replace older M-60 tanks now in service with the Portuguese Army. Portugal will receive the first company of 9 tanks this year, 29 additional tanks will be delivered in 2009, equipping a full battalion. Under a parallel modernization plan the Portuguese Army received the first shipment of nine Pandur II 8x8 wheeled armored vehicles (VBR). Portugal plans to field 300 VBRs with the in several variants with the Army’s Intervention Brigade, and the Navy’s marine infantry battalion.

- Rump

I was about to ask the same thing. Someone on another thread here mentioned something like 200 (out of an original 435 Leo 2's, never mind the old Leo 1's that they got rid of), but I don't know if that was after all the planned sales to other NATO countries. The Netherlands MoD seems to be engaging in almost a firesale of the Armed Forces' equipment. Very strange.:confused:

I´m keeping a file containing the sales and the customers of the Leopard tank. Netherlands had 445 tanks, of which they sold 115 to Austria, 52 to Norway, 100 to Canada and 38 to Portugal. 10 tanks are planned to be converted to engineer tanks "Kodiak". This leaves 130 tanks, of which 122 are Leo2A6 and 8 are A4. IMO this is a reasonable fleet number for a country of the size of the Netherlands. Especially compared to Germany which plans to keep 400 tanks in active service and has 395 more in reserve.

Perhaps they are planning on upgrading to M1's? :P

Its a constant battle between the elected officials, and the military masterminds over who gets your tax dollars. I can only imagine how pissed your military is regarding this.

The polotitions must see the army's tank core as bloated, and wasting money. Not as being prepared to face off any threat to the nation, as the army sees it.

Undoubtly they argue that the Leopard 2 tank force was needed to defend against the Russian horde, which is no longer realistic.

Undoubtly they argue that the Leopard 2 tank force was needed to defend against the Russian horde, which is no longer realistic.

Yup, that's my guess too.

And, in a way, they are right. Should a nation be prepared for everything? Can we afford that?

That's not to say we can't use the Leo's in Afghanistan, for instance. We did send over Apache's, F-16's and Panzerhaubitze 2000's, but no Leo's...

-Rump

I´m keeping a file containing the sales and the customers of the Leopard tank. Netherlands had 445 tanks, of which they sold 115 to Austria, 52 to Norway, 100 to Canada and 38 to Portugal. 10 tanks are planned to be converted to engineer tanks "Kodiak". This leaves 130 tanks, of which 122 are Leo2A6 and 8 are A4. IMO this is a reasonable fleet number for a country of the size of the Netherlands. Especially compared to Germany which plans to keep 400 tanks in active service and has 395 more in reserve.

Sorry, totally missed your post...

Just out of curiosity, what are your sources?

And do you know what happened to the 2a5? All converted to 2a6?

-Rump