Role of CO and XO in game?

Panzer_Leader

Can someone please tell me if the CO and XO units confer any "hidden" C2 or morale benefits in SB Pro PE? Being single vehicles that can't be attached to other units or even each other (as far as I'm aware) their tactical utility appears limited. If they don't confer any additional benefits within the simulation can someone please let me know what the role of the CO and XO would be in actual combat, other than command, and how they would normally be employed in relation to the platoons and/or sections under their command?

Thanks.

In single player mode they do not give much of a benefit.

You can assign priotories in calling fires to them, but thats about it.

(SB has no morale simulated ;-) )

In networksessions (as IRL) they are the ones who lead their units.

Commanding is a full time job, you don#t need much more tasks to fill your day!!

They are not attached to platoons or BPs. Our fieldmanual states (and I'm shure that of most other nations too)

"The leader freely chooses his position and is not bound to any place(in his AOR)"

Idealy he is in the point of main effort(or where he can see it)

If they don't confer any additional benefits within the simulation can someone please let me know what the role of the CO and XO would be in actual combat, other than command, and how they would normally be employed in relation to the platoons and/or sections under their command?

Thanks.

I’ll dig up a post I made on this a little while back. ....

From here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=15389

Well in Aust doctrine (and I suspect at least UK and Canadian too), the XO (or more correctly for us 2IC) for a Sqn or CT, usually a CAPT, role includes:

Runs the battle while the OC (Officer Commanding = US Coy CO), a MAJ, is away from the CP.

Often runs current OPs if the OC is off planning future OPs.

If the plan requires two TPs (PLs) each commanded by a LT in one place (say on a ABF) then he goes too to command it.

If there’s a mixed grouping (Tk Tp and Mech Inf PL) he commands it.

Control the echelon (repair and recovery assets). Makes sure the Sqn / CT is replenished at the right time in the right place. Co-ords Battle replen between callsigns (to ensure the planned effect is still achieved - weight of fire maintained etc.).

Provides advice / sounding board to the OC (in private).

If conducting a delay, he will command one group, while the OC commands the other to ensure maximum delay is achieved between bounds (i.e. ensure people “hold the line” in his group).

Carries the other half of the JTAC party to provide redundancy.

Understudies the OC.

Any job where the OC wants someone with more experience than a LT TP Ldr.

Other jobs as directed.

Probably enough for starters ....

At BG its similar but he’s a MAJ and the pieces are bigger.

Additional stuff though:

If the BG is giving up a Tk Sqn and gaining a Mech Coy he may go to the other BG HQ to provide Armoured advice to that CO, freeing the detached Sqn OC to fight his Sqn.