Public Service Announcement

Retro

• 8 months later...

Bump.

In case you haven't heard: There's a nasty little bit of "ransom-ware" on the loose, dubbed "CryptoLocker" by the security industry.

Basically, it encrypts all of the user-generated files on your network, including any back-ups that are so-called "hot" (visible in any way on your network).

The only sure-fire protection is a "cold" back-up stored on a drive which is not connected to your network.

So:

[COLD] Back your stuff up

That is all.

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys

You do know that on the subject on backup, that you can use windows backup but that way you can use the backup files as a new installation or even move to a new pc as every version of windows have been hardware independent since vista(it only need to be same type of cpu and bigger HD)

So move the backup files onto a usb disk that is not connected to your pc. and when installing just use the option install from backup with your remote drive connected.

On the subject of pics i use the free service of google drive i just use more then one account which i then share to my main account that way i get plenty of space with drag and drop functionality. Cheap too besides the normal backup so there are no single point of failure.

When installing or updating all those pesky small programs we all need and use every time everyday which are not part of the windows installation i use the site Ninite.com which i think is made for retired people and it pros (Its easy to use and easy to spell to as well and does all the stuff which is a waste of time) it makes installing all the small programs which we all you need and the good part if you in 3 months time use the install file again then it checks if your version is the newest is up to date if not if updates it including all the run-times

The last little service tool i use is totalcommander(Windows commander) which is a clone of Norton commander but for windows you can find it on ghisler.com

Have fun and happy new year

Or use a Mac and avoid most of this stuff. ;)

I still back up though.

My Windows box is for SB and that's it.

Jep and as with all other Apple products you pay 2-3 times what others cost just to have a rotten apple logo ;-) (Just proves what marketing does)

But to stave of your next argument they do work nicely most of the time and are up there with the best of them but not much freedom and compatibility.

and still 75% of all software on macs are made by Microsoft (Still marketing he he)

...you can use windows backup...

That's what I use...with multiple external drives. I also keep at least the last three backups just in case I find that I need to step further back in time.

Of course, safe computing habits prevent most malware from infecting your computer in the first place. I.e. don't click links in emails, don't click random pop-ups (including the ones that say something like, "Your computer is infected. Click here to scan and remove threats."), don't visit sites that have random pop-ups, don't download content you're not absolutely sure about, etc. Use a non-administrator account most of the time and have some sort of malware scanning/removal tool standing by in case you notice your computer acting strangely. Sometimes you can remove a threat before it does too much damage.

There are also some great add-ons for most browsers which prevent malicious scripts from running and/or annoying ads from popping up. But don't rely on them to protect you even if you visit shady sites. Some can even be a little too aggressive and wind up breaking even trusted websites.

Programs like Macrium Reflect allow you to take an 'image' of your complete PC and store it on DVD or an external hard drive, which you keep current, but disconnect from the PC when not backing up. The program also allows you to created a bootable USB flash drive (stick it in a slot before switching on and select that as the boot drive from the Setup menu) which gets the machine up and running even if your C Drive is busted/encrypted. You then delete C:, reinstall Windows and copy your data over from the backup drive.

Edited by Tjay