AI Movement

JohnO

Question, working on two scenarios, first one is a small scenario using the NTC map the other one is a large scenario using the Haune Valley map.

The question is how can I keep the OPFOR AI from driving over the mountains that is on the NTC map? I've been to NTC for three rotations and the mountains are huge and impossible for tanks to travel over it.

• Moderators
Hell, never thought of that, thanks KT.

Question then, how far out does the AI move from the route that is plotted for them or do they stay on route no matter what they run into?

Yes, they stay on the route regardless. What you need to do is, if you want them to turn into any threat and engagement (and stop) then give the route Engage tactics. Assault route will cause them to engage and keep driving, which is good for bypassing as well as closing distance.

But you actually CAN make the AI deviate from their course if they run into enemy. However, this is kind of an advanced scenario design technique. Basically it involves making your route around the mountain have small 1 or 2 km legs, so that it appears like a long route with many waypoints along it. Then branch of with a new route chain at each waypoint, and give Embark If... properties to it, and then specify the condition you want it to peel off in that direction (such as Unit {this} is under fire, or something more complicated than that using transparent regions and if X enemy are in region Y type logic). It can be a pain yes, but you can also copy and paste route chains which makes things a lot easier.

• Members
The question is how can I keep the OPFOR AI from driving over the mountains that is on the NTC map? I've been to NTC for three rotations and the mountains are huge and impossible for tanks to travel over it.

Aside from the obvious solution already suggested, you could load the NTC map in the map editor and then open the terrain theme. You can change the mobility parameters for the terrain that covers the mountains and reduce traction a bit and increase the bumpiness to, say, 40%. Save the theme under an alternative name. This theme alone may make it physically impossible to travel most of the mountain areas beyond a certain slope gradient, and make it impractical even before it becomes absolutely impossible.

The themes are a very powerful instrument.

Aside from the obvious solution already suggested, you could load the NTC map in the map editor and then open the terrain theme. You can change the mobility parameters for the terrain that covers the mountains and reduce traction a bit and increase the bumpiness to, say, 40%. Save the theme under an alternative name. This theme alone may make it physically impossible to travel most of the mountain areas beyond a certain slope gradient, and make it impractical even before it becomes absolutely impossible.

The themes are a very powerful instrument.

Thanks, it worked had to experiment to know what I was trying to do :)

Thanks Volcano, will look at what you posted. Also I will be at Camp Bowie, Texas in December training and testing the NG.