Season is open

Ssnake

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you CAN, but to me it's just a copy & paste error in the Wiki.

hey! that "you CAN" make me think...

my english is really bad but sometimes I can read between the lines and I think this CAN be the case :biggrin: or is more my hopes for see that cockpit :redface:

From the wiki, T-72M1:

WARNING: Leaving the engine running continuously for about 50-60 minutes will cause the stabilization to be damaged as the hydraulics overheat.

What should the player do to prevent this from happening? turn stab on only when contact is expected?

Do both the general turret stab and GPS mirror stab affect the overheating?

How much time does the hydraulics need to cool down to "reset" the 60min. overheat timer again?

I never heard of such warning on a real tank. And we had our engines on for far longer times without any restrictions.

Despite their legendary emphasis on simplicity, functionality, and mass production, the Russian war machine every now and again produces a thing of beautiful proportions. Amongst the few are the AK47, the Backfire, the Akula, the Hind, the BMP, and the Shilka. The latter three of which I'm so grateful make an appearance in SB. Just wow.

Yes, but perhaps instead of beautiful, I should define some of the examples above as looking awesome and menacing. Beauty implies gracefuleness which some of my choices definitely lack.

Retro, have you seen XMen 1st class? There's a nice looking Russian cruiser in there that I can't ID. It has tandem quad SSM launchers which I can't prove to exist. Looked to be Udaloy class at first, but again, has another set of quad launcher behind the first.

Yes, but perhaps instead of beautiful, I should define some of the examples above as looking awesome and menacing. Beauty implies gracefuleness which some of my choices definitely lack.

Not necessarily.

"Beautiful" in engineering can also reflect efficiency, effectiveness, how well it matches / exceeds the user requirement ...

Its not just a case of "pretty".

Right, that text has always been there too (at least for a year or more) -- no one ever noticed it until now it seems. I fixed it now. ;)

oh! :frown: so... Leo 2A4 cockpit : case closed, but only for now! if crewable T-72 and Shilka will be in game "all" is possible! :diable:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jippo

Ok, I see it now. Don't remember such thing still, but that doesn't mean much. But I could swear we had stabs on much longer times than that as well

Yes, so did we. But there is reliable information from former DDR that it overheats.

Is the difference in performance due to difference in regional characteristic (temperature?) or in manufacture?

Could it mean that T-72As (for Russian domestic consumption) or T-72M1s exported to other regions (middle East etc) also show difference in performance as well?

• Moderators
Is the difference in performance due to difference in regional characteristic (temperature?) or in manufacture?

Could it mean that T-72As (for Russian domestic consumption) or T-72M1s exported to other regions (middle East etc) also show difference in performance as well?

No, the trouble is that all T-72s are pretty unique in many regards. For example, the LRF reticle varies from tank to tank (not just variant to variant), and we modeled that. However with this stab overheat, we had several accurate sources (DDR and some other as well) point this out, and that was reliable enough. Whether others saw it or not, well, sure, it probably depended on the temperature in the region or the particular tank they had. Either way, I think that you will probably never see this happen in SB anyway unless you specifically sit in the gunner seat and never get out of it for a full hour and never once turn off the stab while doing so (and your tank does not explode in a ball of flame during that period).

Edited by Volcano
typos

• Members

Notice that the users at the time reported substantial quality differences between T-72s from Russian, Czech, or Polish origin. Russian vehicles were reported to be of good quality, Czech ones as "acceptable", while the GDR tankers that I met after the reunification suspected outright sabotage from the Polish workers - or at least criminal negligence.

(And depending on your point of view, that can actually be seen as a compliment).