Bridges

JohnO

First the question is about bridges not bridgelayers :)

What I would like to see in the next patch or next game :) is the ability to set the size and weight limits of the bridges. Right now any vehicle can cross a bridge even a bridge that is place on a dirt road with a crossing of a river/stream on the map. If that is implemented in the next patch, the scenario with different types of weight limit will effect the planning and outcome of a scenario battle, that would mean that you will have to have a recon element move to within a bridge to see what the weight limit would be to handle the tanks weight. Major highways on the map will have the weight limit shown, but most of the bridges off the main highway will not have its weight limit shown on the map, hence the recon element.

Another question can bridges be destroy by arty, air, or by engineers? If not it would be cool to have, it would be shocking to see a bridge and it is intact and you move to cross it and to see it blowup in front of you and now you say "What now".

If this has been discussed before I couldn't find anything under search for bridges.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can "drop" them in the Editor and the only way I've been able to replicate them as blocked is to fill them with vehicle wrecks to make them impassable to vehicle traffic.

Like the Bridge Class idea though - give Recce more importance.

Of course most bridges in RL don't have a sign on them saying "Mil Bridge Class 60" so apart from "rapid trial" (e.g. ASLAV crossed therefore its at least Class 15) I'm not sure how in game you'd replicate the Engineer Recon report that measures all the various components and then estimates what it can carry.

I don't think you can "drop" them in the Editor and the only way I've been able to replicate them as blocked is to fill them with vehicle wrecks to make them impassable to vehicle traffic.

Like the Bridge Class idea though - give Recce more importance.

Of course most bridges in RL don't have a sign on them saying "Mil Bridge Class 60" so apart from "rapid trial" (e.g. ASLAV crossed therefore its at least Class 15) I'm not sure how in game you'd replicate the Engineer Recon report that measures all the various components and then estimates what it can carry.

Bridge Class, I was thinking that the recon element must be within a certain radius of the bridge to get the weight class.

I do remember seeing weight class signs on bridges in Germany, Ssnake could say if this is true or not.

• Members

Actually it's an interesting coincidence to see this thread pop up right now. Because today I wanted to post some news about the bridges.

Yes: Bridges will now all have their load limit. This applies not to the bridge as a whole, just to the segments between pillars.

Yes: Wooden bridges will have a lower load limit than others.

Yes: Air strikes can destroy bridges.

Yes: large caliber HE rounds in direct fire more, or artillery fire, can destroy the wooden (light) bridge. Or you demolish it with an IED.

No: There won't be automatic MLC signs placed next to the bridges with their actual load limits, I'm sorry. It's planned for a future release though, so there's still hope.

No, you can't (yet) set your own load limits. We may at a later point implement an option to have a bridge prepared for demolition, or damaged with a random or specific reduction in its capacity. Which obviously would be pointless if there were not a way to actually reconnoiter the trafficability of such an object, so yeah: We'd need a method to convey the data to a reconnaissance unit. Unfortunately we don't have the time to implement this now.

Oh, and there's a total of nine bridge models now, some of them railway bridges (two? three?), the rest for normal vehicles. No, no trains yet. Just deserted rail textures.

Actually it's an interesting coincidence to see this thread pop up right now. Because today I wanted to post some news about the bridges.

Yes: Bridges will now all have their load limit. This applies not to the bridge as a whole, just to the segments between pillars.

Yes: large caliber HE rounds in direct fire more, or artillery fire, can destroy the wooden (light) bridge. Or you demolish it with an IED.

No: There won't be automatic MLC signs placed next to the bridges with their actual load limits, I'm sorry. It's planned for a future release though, so there's still hope.

No, you can't (yet) set your own load limits. We may at a later point implement an option to have a bridge prepared for demolition, or damaged with a random or specific reduction in its capacity. Which obviously would be pointless if there were not a way to actually reconnoiter the trafficability of such an object, so yeah: We'd need a method to convey the data to a reconnaissance unit. Unfortunately we don't have the time to implement this now.

Oh, and there's a total of nine bridge models now, some of them railway bridges (two? three?), the rest for normal vehicles. No, no trains yet. Just deserted rail textures.

Sounds good. :)

Outstanding, I was working on the map for my scenario and it has allot of bridges on it and just thought to ask about bridges :)

• Moderators

CLASS 0: weak ~10t

CLASS 1: light ~30t

CLASS 2: medium ~50t

CLASS 3: heavy ~100t

CLASS 4: super heavy ~200t

CLASS 5: nearly invincible ~400t

////////////////////////////

concrete, road

• 1 lane - CLASS 2
  • 2 lane - CLASS 3
  • 4 lane - CLASS 4
  • Highway - CLASS 5

stone

• 2 lane - CLASS 3
  • rail - CLASS 3

metal truss

• road - CLASS 5
  • rail - CLASS 5

wooden

• 1 lane - CLASS 0

And yes, eventually I want to specify the t weight of each vehicle in SB in the SBwiki, but there is too much to do at the moment.

Regarding bridges and weights, until you have a full system in place could I propose the idea of providing us with a number of very simple sign posts that we (the customer) could skin and add details to? Just a hand full and we could cover a lot. I have used marker panels in this manor before, but been only one panel there is not a lot you can do. But with a number of road signs we could make a lot of difference in the way map makers or scenario designers populate maps and get around, and/or mark bridges with weight restrictions. I do appreciate it may seem a simple thing to a none coder graphic designer like myself, but just thought I would throw it out there.

• Members

Like I wrote before, at the moment SB only evaluates the load on bridge segments (between pillars). So on an MLC50 bridge you could probably have 50 Leopard 2, as long as you make sure that each Leo occupies exactly one segment at a time. Two-way traffic or bypassing an immobilized vehicle may then be somewhat problematic.

CLASS 0: weak ~10t

CLASS 1: light ~30t

CLASS 2: medium ~50t

CLASS 3: heavy ~100t

CLASS 4: super heavy ~200t

CLASS 5: nearly invincible ~400t

////////////////////////////

concrete, road

• 1 lane - CLASS 2
  • 2 lane - CLASS 3
  • 4 lane - CLASS 4
  • Highway - CLASS 5

stone

• 2 lane - CLASS 3
  • rail - CLASS 3

metal truss

• road - CLASS 5
  • rail - CLASS 5

wooden

• 1 lane - CLASS 0

And yes, eventually I want to specify the t weight of each vehicle in SB in the SBwiki, but there is too much to do at the moment.

Is the t weight of the vehicles the same in RL or game t weight of the vehicles? Maybe I should of said "Does this question make sense on what I'm asking" :)

Edited by JohnO