Bridges

JohnO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

There are signs with weight numbers on them that fit the classifications close enough. If a map designer wants to place them in front of each bridge, then he can do that. If you want to believe what the weight is by the sign then you can do that too. However, I recommend the military method: proof the bridge with one vehicle first. ;)

• Moderators
Question about AI behavior.

Will a unit still attempt to cross a bridge it is not rated for?

Yes, for now I think so. But it doesn't really matter much because if the bridge doesn't support the weight, then nothing will happen other than it will drive on the first segment and it will collapse. This will be before the vehicle gets anywhere near the water (if the map maker placed the bridge properly), and will not be able to enter the next segment as it will be higher elevated than the first so the journey should end without anything other than a broken bridge. Then again, if the bridge is across the grand canyon and the first segment collapses and the tanks fall into the pit, who knows, it depends on the map.

As with anything else, the owner of the unit has to use some judgement. Also, as the owner of a unit, it would probably be best to recon the bridges first (in the planning phase at least, and, if possible recon it in the execution phase) before plotting march orders across bridges. This is one more real world layer/consideration that we will have to worry about.

It won't take long for everyone to get accustomed to how sturdy the bridge is by its appearance. Some bridges will be vital because they are very heavy duty and some will be less vital. Some will only be passable by light vehicles and can therefore be guarded by lighter units etc. It should all be very interesting.

just a suggestion for scenerio designers, if you want to make your bridge to where it can only carry a certain number of vehicles, or a certain amount of weight, why not place ied's on it, then put a condition on it, say like if you want it to be able to have a max load of three tanks on it, put in area and do an if statement that if more than three tanks are on the bridge, then they explode, destroying the bridge. or maybe you want it where only trucks can cross it or only pcs or smaller, well, you catch the drift.

Yes: Air strikes can destroy bridges.

Yes: large caliber HE rounds in direct fire more, or artillery fire, can destroy the wooden (light) bridge. Or you demolish it with an IED.

Ahem, when you say air strikes what do you mean? Are you referring to helicopters or aircraft strikes? If so, how?

• Moderators

Actually, that is a good point (airstrikes). As a scenario designer, if you do not want the possibility of one side destroying all the bridges then airstrikes should not be given. The attacker would probably have airstrikes, and as such, he would be one who might want the bridges to be left intact, so the concern is not great there, but think twice about giving the defender airstrikes.

Of course it might mean that some scenarios might need a slight adjustment here --with some scenarios needing airstrikes to be removed from one or more sides. Such is the side effect of progress...

Actually, that is a good point (airstrikes). As a scenario designer, if you do not want the possibility of one side destroying all the bridges then airstrikes should not be given. The attacker would probably have airstrikes, and as such, he would be one who might want the bridges to be left intact, so the concern is not great there, but think twice about giving the defender airstrikes.
Yes: large caliber HE rounds in direct fire more, or artillery fire, can destroy the wooden (light) bridge. Or you demolish it with an IED.

Reading above, it may be that ANY arty can knock out a light bridge. Are the heavy bridges immune to the effect? Or are air strikes capable of knocking out heavies, but not artillery or direct fires?

That being the case, constructing a penalty for bridge destruction (per higher HQ's orders to NOT blow them) for a side might be necessary. Since I'm betting that the destruction isn't an event in the editor, we'll have to some up with some clever way to monitor that.

Maybe a computer controlled civilian vehicle sitting next to the bridge? IIRC, enemy units won't fire on cars and such. Well, at least enemy AI units won't! :diable: The problem is that the condition doesn't care who destroys it, so if Red has a bridge to protect, and Blue goes and shoots their trigger sedan, that would suck.

An interesting puzzle.

Maybe someday we'll be able to tie "no fire" into the region logic. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Reading on another thread about railroad bridges and tanks crossing them.

Curious on how a tank is allowed to cross on a railroad bridge? Isn’t the width of the tank in particular the NATO ones are wider than the bridge width. I in particular would remove all the railroad bridges because in rl tanks will not cross them, maybe the wheel vehicles and to some extent low weight track vehicles, but thats just me.

Reading on another thread about railroad bridges and tanks crossing them.

Curious on how a tank is allowed to cross on a railroad bridge? Isn’t the width of the tank in particular the NATO ones are wider than the bridge width. I in particular would remove all the railroad bridges because in rl tanks will not cross them, maybe the wheel vehicles and to some extent low weight track vehicles, but thats just me.

What article or data do you have to back this up?

Of course a tanks tracks are wider than the train tracks but the are many train lines that are able to carry trains which transport tanks and therefore are wide enough to accomodate a tank.

Irish

What article or data do you have to back this up?

Of course a tanks tracks are wider than the train tracks but the are many train lines that are able to carry trains which transport tanks and therefore are wide enough to accomodate a tank.

Irish

I stand corrected, not from what you posted but just talked to a tanker here at work and I don't have articles or data to back this up and the question wasn't to be taken as the gospel choice. It was just a question that I thought that the tank width wouldn't allowed it to cross.

Your assuming that most of the rail network is electrified.

In a lot of places the suburban rail network is the only place with wires, etc and the rest of the rural environment is dieso-electric.

And of course only a few (one?) countries have live rails to worry about in their suburban networks.

The bigger issue (IMHO) with a rail bride is that its very constrictive, you have to stay exactly on the route of the track, and of course as they are used to carrying trains, which stay on tracks, there are often no railings or other safety measures so if the driver stays from the one narrow path you can be “off“ the bridge before you know it.

• 4 weeks later...

While I'm at work and spreading my germs (cold), and looking at the release notes.

On page 17 fixed bug #1065, #686, and #1349

and I quote "If, during the scenario, one side "steals" the bridge from the other side, the original's side icon will remain visible (so as to not give away the fact) but will from this point on be movable by the player"? and assuming by only movable by the player who "steals" the bridge

How will this happen? And what I'm reading this is only for AVLB segments.