Urban INF fighting, ideas and questions

cata

Experimenting with work arounds when it comes to fighting in built up areas with INF. would love to hear if others have ideas going forward. The best solution I found was to create platoons and companies out of individual soldiers. Yes it is as painful as it sounds, but the results are interesting. I find the enemy incredibly difficult to defeat in an urban environment, somehow seem harder, with one shot kills been the norm. you need a lot of men and a lot of HE ammo, from supporting armor, also found I needed to use a lot more smoke to maneuver, and yes a lot of time.

This again raises the question if we will ever see the ability to save a game? As the SB-Pro grows and becomes more complex games get longer, I find I have to plan my play time very carefully as once you start you have to see it through to the end in one sitting and that can be a long slog!

The confirmation we now have universal transport, including air assets, is a game changer as far as I am concerned, amazing! It begs the question can I load a PC with 6 individual soldiers, as above, not one unit of six troops? At the moment I spawn INF outside a built up area using triggers etc, would be nice to get a ride into town.

Another issue is I cannot tell which soldiers are carrying AT weapons, there is only a basic ammo count up in the top right corner. So I have to issue AT to each member of the composite unit. Would it be possible to add the number of AT rounds with the basic small arms ammo count when an INF unit is carrying ATs? This is also useful when using units of 6 troops or more, at times I need to know what INF unit has any AT left. In the future it would be nice to have the ability to Attach/detach troops like vehicles.

INF 7.62 MG does not have a separate sound file it uses the end segment of another sound file repeatedly to create a bust, cannot remember which one now, as a result as frame rates drop, when you approach a town for example, the rate of fire slows as a result. Would it be possible to provide INF MG with its own sound file?

I assume Helos have the ability to land now? Can any other item be carried by helos other than troops, e.g can CH-47 carry the new bikes?

Experimenting with work arounds when it comes to fighting in built up areas with INF. would love to hear if others have ideas going forward.

Well for me it depends on the AI's Inf "pathing" ability.

Currently in somewhere like the "Terrastan" town formed units (I haven't tried the suspected "click fest" of a Company of 100+ indviduals), Inf sections/ squads get hung up in alleys and narrow paths.

The guys seem to just mill around a lot or choose a path totally different to where I plotted for them to go.

Tempted to suggest this is where a SB Pro PE / VBS2 integrated solution works best but I'd prefer a "one stop shop".

Intervening paragraphs - can't comment.

But I suspect modelling individuals also opens the C2 "pandora's box" (which guy is the PL Comdr and what happens if he is shot, etc.?)

Currently an Inf PL consists of three Sections / Squads with the PHQ somehow spread across these. There is no PHQ "unit".

I assume Helos have the ability to land now? Can any other item be carried by helos other than troops, e.g can CH-47 carry the new bikes?

Don't know if they can land or not (there is still the "spawn" work around assuming you have planned the LZ).

Also unsure about the non personnel loads (either internal or underslung).

Edited by Gibsonm

I find a combination of individuals combined with normal 6 man plus fire support teams works best. Have also noted the fratricide rate is a lot higher when working with individuals, you really need to pay attention and ensure you don’t move in front of other troops. also keep bounds small, and ensure mutual support….in short, all the old skills and drills seem to come back into focus when you begin to break it down to smaller units or individuals.

I am not saying SBPRO needs to use individual soldiers, this is just a work round until better path finding abilities and formations are implemented for the INF regarding built up areas, but its interesting. The last thing I want to see is SB becoming a first person shooter.

Regards Helos I was referring to the upcoming upgrade.