Problems with Directx and Steel Beast

Siinji

Everytime I launch Steel Beast, I get an error saying that "DPLAYX.DLL" is missing. I know this has something to do with DirectX.

I tried downloading the webinstaller for Directx from Microsoft. Didnt work.

I tried downloading the full package, and forced a reinstall. Didnt work.

Then, just by chance, I copied the DPLAYX.DLL file from /windows/system32/ to windows/system/ and it worked!

Then today (2 days later) the game again says that the DPLAYX.DLL is missing. But the DPLAYX.DLL is still in both directories (system and system32). This could propably mean, that my ´fix´ wasn´t real, and didn´t work, although it worked back then.

I have played Steel Beast flawlessly for about 6 months. Lately I have installed Call of Duty, and maybe a new version of Directx, can´t remember. Also I have installed a new graphics card, went from Nvidia 7900 to Nvidia 8800. I strongly thing that this problem has something to do with the graphic card change, although all my other games run fine on the new graphic card.

What can I do?!? Any help please?

• Administrators

That file is a multiplayer component. It has nothing to do with the video card. Something is wrong with your directx installation. It sounds like you already tried the obvious steps, so i'm at a loss as to what to suggest. Are you using vista by any chance?

Did a restart, and tried starting Steel Beasts and it worked suddenly. No changes except restart. My son played Call of Duty on the same restart, when SB didn´t work. So maybe playing CoD messes things up. Can´t test it, cause he took of with the CD for CoD. But will post any answers if I find any.

• 5 years later...

Hi,

Same problem here.... missing PLAYX.DLL under Windows 8.1, after update from 8.0 to 8.1. Under Wind 8.0 SB used to works perfectly, now, under 8.1, no chance to run. I`ve tried to install DX10 and even add missing dll by hand to directory Windows/System System32 System64 with no results...

Sorry eSims, but there are some issues with DX and SB Pro. In past, I mean Win 7/8.0 :-), work out was to install some old game witch DX9. Now seems to me that this trick doesn`t work any more..

Best,

Zaratustra

http://www.tanksim.pl/fire/

Yes, but is seems that installer ends very quickly, I guess because of never version of DX installed on my system....

For me it is very strange that eSims did not solve this compatibility issue years ago. Am I right that last version of DX9 is from June 2010? So, it is more then 3 years without support from Microsoft.

Best,

Zaratustra

SB runs fine on Windows 8.1.

Below are some screenshots from a test I did in a virtual machine.

I downloaded the DirectX 9c web installer and ran it. When starting SB I got prompted to install 'Directplay'. After this install, SB runs.

56e83cf86ab99_Installfinished.PNG.519665

56e83cf86ccc9_Directplayprompt.PNG.3fe33

56e83cf870011_SBrunning.PNG.fe18cb957a4a

56e83cf86ab99_Installfinished.PNG.519665

56e83cf86ccc9_Directplayprompt.PNG.3fe33

56e83cf870011_SBrunning.PNG.fe18cb957a4a

SB runs fine on Windows 8.1.

Below are some screenshots from a test I did in a virtual machine.

I downloaded the DirectX 9c web installer and ran it. When starting SB I got prompted to install 'Directplay'. After this install, SB runs.

Thank you. I understand that for Win 8.1 `Directplay` will be installed on demand. Yours shots prove this, but in my case launching SB did not start process of installation Directplay. I don`t know if it is my own "problem" or Win 8.1 stand alone (not under virtual machine) has it.

Best,

Zaratustra

***SOLVED*** AVG PC TuneUp 2014 was blocking installation on demand `Directplay`

Thank you for suggestions :-)

***SOLVED*** AVG PC TuneUp 2014 was blocking installation on demand `Directplay`

Thank you for suggestions :-)

Excellent! No go and have fun!

BTW, for future reference, DirectPlay can be installed manually in the Programs and Features control panel, under Windows Features, Legacy Components (see attached picture)

56e83cf871829_DirectPlayInstall.PNG.82d2

56e83cf871829_DirectPlayInstall.PNG.82d2