Battle for Hünfeld Scenario

JohnO

The year is 1990; June, tensions have mounted in Europe over increased deployment of US cruise missiles and Pershing II tactical nuclear weapons and increased actions of anti-Soviet guerrillas in Afghanistan and Nicaragua. The Soviet forces in East Germany increased their state of readiness and moved to assembly areas. The US forces in West Germany responded by moving to and preparing their pre-selected GDPs. After months of diplomatic stand-off, on August 8th, the Soviets launch their invasion of Western Europe…….

I'm coming along very well with building this scenario and this scenario will get done. This screenshot shows just a small part of the map that will be used. The size of the playing area will be 20 x 20.

You can see the West/East German border. The numbers you see are the elevation points on the hills/mountains.

I will post the US TO&E as soon as possibly but must likely after version 2.6. The Warsaw Pact forces TO&E will get posted this weekend.

SS_16_08_33.jpg

Edited by JohnO

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this scenario, had to redo all the bridges to this map. When I convert the map to v2.640 all the bridges including the railroad bridges change to bridge number 66.

Will take awhile to do this. Plus adding road signs and changing some of the buildings

Has anybody else experience this issue or is it just me?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, have replaced all the bridges from 66 to the proper type of bridges. Took me awhile to get it done ,but it was fun. Now adding objects to the map. Hope to start building the units by the 3rd week of January in Germany.

I have a question about distance setup. You can see from the screenshots, the first screenshot, is looking at a town (three klicks) which you can't see the buildings even the church. The second screenshot, when I move the camera towards the location of the town it takes awhile before the town becomes visibly, moved about two klicks.

Is the settings I'm using not correct?

First the terrain detail distance is set at default. The visibility setting is at 12000m. The Minimum light level is at 0%.

While I'm asking these question, how can I get rid of the distance haze? I'm using the sky setting - Day clear and still get this haze.

SS_22_08_10.jpg

SS_22_09_22.jpg

What's the range of your best weapon system?

If you don't have Hellfire, etc. then having a "maxed out" visibility setting I think just adds processor burden and might give you networking issues when you come to play it (esp. if people have a lot of "hops").

Similarly if there's a bunch of hills / ridges, etc. and LOS isn't going to actually be more than say 5,000 then I think (again IMHO) a waste to have the setting too high.

Unsure about the haze thing.

Even when I set the visibility setting to 8000m the towns are still out of range of eyeball. Look at the first picture, it is at about 62m above ground level. The town doesn't get into focus on tell I'm about one klick to the town. I would think I should see some type of buildings with the eyeball :)

What is the "Terrain Details Distance" set to in the Options area?

Perhaps its making adjustments for the graphics card, etc?

(starting to pluck at straws). :)

terrain detail distance set at default values. Will play around with it some more.

• Members

I wonder if we're not simply reaching the maximum object count with the forest in the foreground, or maybe a (minimal) zoom in will help in the preview.

You can't get rid of the haze however. The color of the bottom pixel of the sky texture determines the haze color.

I wonder if we're not simply reaching the maximum object count with the forest in the foreground, or maybe a (minimal) zoom in will help in the preview.

You can't get rid of the haze however. The color of the bottom pixel of the sky texture determines the haze color.

And believe me, I have seen it in other simulation. Setting clear viewing distance at 10km or more with alot of objects in it and you have such a major framehit. Nice for taking a screenshot but will be unplayable for our computer. Who needs the maximum viewing distance in SB? I guess the UAV or an arty spotter only?

• Members

I see it as a "growth potential" for future graphics cards that become faster and faster. At the same time we may implement some engine optimizations like multiple render planes. That could help to boost the frame rate tremendously in cases of long visibility.

(Actually, my request to Al was to enable viewing ranges out to 8,000m, and while he was working on it, he said to himself, "WTH, why limit it at 8km - let's see how far I can get with my graphics card right now" and then set the limit to 18km.)

I understand that future hardware will do the job better.

Still you have the haze rendered. It does not really matter what sky textures I pick. I pick date, june, midsummer day with clear sky textures. You still have the haze. And like JohnO explained in this thread, the town objects will pop up only when you zoom in enough.

So this leaves me with the same question. As a driver, gunner and tankcommander, I do not need a visibility of 18km. I cannot see that far. Use of bino with help. Still a forest, town and hills will block a view that far.

So the max distance will only work fine with UAV use.

Personally I like the way it is now. The haze gives some realism. And really as a tanker I cannot see that far.

Well made it to Grafenwöhr, Germany. Cold as hell here and trying to get over this jet-lag. Have some question about the map I'm working on, now that I remember what it looks like here in Germany :) will be be here for three weeks. Now have to go and drink some beer :) questions tomorrow. Hint mostly about buildings in the map and the density of the building used in the villages, towns.