To Do or Not To Do, that is the question?

JohnO

The question I have and there are two of them :)

How much detail should there be in a map, for example, fences, walls, lightpost, fields, and so on? Yes I know it is up to the person building the map, but is it needed?

Second question, should the person building the scenario required that all players have the correct mods for the scenario?

• Members
How much detail should there be in a map, for example, fences, walls, lightpost, fields, and so on? Yes I know it is up to the person building the map, but is it needed?

It depends on what you are trying to do. Detailed maps, I think, help a lot to create better immersion, and they are an investment into a future where dismounted infantry will learn to utilize these elements better. At the same time you will inevitably have to find a balance with the amount of time that it takes to make it.

It also is a matter of attitude. For some, like user Manteuffel, the map building as such has become a goal of itself. I suppose it's like setting up a model railroad diorama. Actually driving the trains constitutes about 5% of the entire hobby time.

Second question, should the person building the scenario required that all players have the correct mods for the scenario?

As you have little control over it, you can suggest that in a readme file, but you can't enforce it. Also keep in mind that a scenario, once released to the digital domain, tends to develop a life of its own. I doubt that James Sterrett expected his "Are they attacking here?" scenario to live on for more than a decade when he made it in those SB1 days. Suppose some mods would have existed back then, they would have become obsolete a long time ago.