Question on Fulda Gap_alt map

JohnO

I have this .ter and .hgt file labeled Fulda Gap_Alt and assuming that it was from WarUlf but not so sure. The map looks dam great for a good long campaign unfortunately the roads, towns, and rivers are missing, want to try and get in touch with him.

Yes, we worked on that one together. Feel free to go nuts and put all the roads on it!

Well, not sure I want to go nuts on placing roads on the map :) Hell I don't know how to get the height map.

Went to CGSC and yes we do have the Globally Mapper to use but I will have to wait until I get back from Camp Bowie, TX in two weeks. I saw some dam nice maps that they built for CGSC but the bad thing about it is that they can't release them :( something to do with classified.

Here is an interesting comparison of data sets on the fulda gap map area. The SRTM is the standard data which the original is made from, though I think that was made with SRTM V1 or 2. The screen shot is SRTM V4 which is probably better than the original.

The other screen shots are ASTER data using various levels of post processing. The raw is its original form which is way too noisy. The BA and BA 7 are increasing levels of averaging. Its encouraging that beneath the noise there appears to be a decent, accurate dataset. You can see that the major features agree with the SRTM data (which can be assumed to be highly accurate). There is also enough extra data there to make it possibly useful.

The overlay data is from the OSM project raw data. That is really shaping up to be the best source for free road and terrain vector data. Just need a couple more people to work on joining up the road data and it would be possible to update a lot of these older maps.

FG_Comparison_rar.8647b1fc37a32425023111

FG_Comparison.rar