Bn size battle, who is up for one?

Grenny

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small point for participants...

It might be a good idea to know how to set up Whisper Lists. I can just imagine what the radio traffic will be like on a single battalion net when the you-know-what hits the fan and we're trying to do three things at once. Company lists, at least, would be useful. Just my two cents worth! :)

My Idea would be to set a BN net: whisperlist between the BN-Co Company-commander, FO, S4 and tank-hunter platoon

The companie CO would have to have 2 Lists:The BN Net and their Companie net

If we have multy-manned paltoon, plt-leaders would have to use the COY-net and their paltoon net

So, in short:

EVERYBODY should reserve 2 key on their keyboard to set up a whisperlist..

My Idea would be to set a BN net: whisperlist between the BN-Co Company-commander, FO, S4 and tank-hunter platoon

The companie CO would have to have 2 Lists:The BN Net and their Companie net. If we have multy-manned paltoon, plt-leaders would have to use the COY-net and their paltoon net. So, in short:EVERYBODY should reserve 2 key on their keyboard to set up a whisperlist..

It could work with one Bn net (CO to Coy Comds) and individual Coy nets (Coy Comds to all Coy personnel): no Platoon nets. In this case, Comd and Pl Leaders would have priority on the Coy net. Individual crew commanders monitor the Coy net, pay attention to directions from the Comd and their Pl leaders, and minimize their transmissions. This used to be called "net discipline" when we did not have individual troop/platoon nets. Worked pretty well, actually, but only if the platoons knew their drills and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). That might be the sticking point here: not much time to practice. Should be interesting! :)

Coy net could be very busy and can disturb platoon internal com's...

Greeny has the best solution and the more realistic (it's the system we use IRL)

the only one difference, in a tank platoon we have two tanks with 2 radios and the wingmen have only one, all radios in the Coy has the same load, we just manage channel for coy net & Platoon net.

btw a wingman can contact Coy Co or other platoon just by switching channel.

"net discipline" :biggrin: until contact... so after....

We can discuss this topic at great lengths. We have several, if not many, "professionals" on SB. This is a good thing: we get exposed to the methods of our international confreres. It poses a problem, however, in that there are so many differences among us: United States, Canada, Britain, Austalia, Belgium, Germany, Finland, Sweden...differences in equipment, doctrine, tactics, equipment and so on. It's difficult (although not impossible) to settle on one set of ideas, but it would probably take more time and effort than most of us realistically have, or would like to expend.

But we have also been involved in scenarios where, for example, a contact is made and reported, and then someone off on the far flank gets on the net and chatters about "not too much happening, but one of my tanks is broken but it can still shoot, and my others are reloading so I might need resupply..." and on and on and on. And,of course, no one else can use the net to deal with the contact. The point is simple: report what is necessary. Otherwise, keep off the net and let the commanders command. They'll be busy enough without extra radio traffic to deal with.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now! :)

Don't forget one thing, different language...Many speek only their native language.

Many time, during LNoT, I managed to have a full french platoon, (sometime TC and gunner, so 8). So we were speaking in French on the platoon net (as germans were speeking german on their platoon net), and Platoons leader were speaking english on the Coy net.

D'accord, mon ami: un autre petit probleme pour le Commandant. Et mon francais n'est pas exactement parfait. Et mon allemand? Plus ou moins impossible! :)

Can I have sauce on that?

No, agreed that is one of the challenges.

Currently working through the call sign template so my next multi national outfit has 1/1/A for the Yanks (I still don't understand that system) and 12A for Commonwealth.

Then you get "SALUTE" (I think) Vs "At, At, What, What, What".

At least we have the nine line for CASEVAC (but I don't think I've seen it used). Its normally "I'e got wounded here, send the ambulance".

Add to that most CO's / Sqn or Coy Comd's don't want to offend by getting on the net and tell X to shut up (after all they may not come back to the next MP session). :)

Can I have sauce on that?

Add to that most CO's / Sqn or Coy Comd's don't want to offend by getting on the net and tell X to shut up (after all they may not come back to the next MP session). :)

Sauce? But of course, m'sieu!

Concur. That's one of several reasons why I keep to the troop/platoon level. One minor flashback and I've alienated 80% of the membership! :shocked:

I recall one scenario when the tank coy comd himself took off to fight his own set of duels, and left us platoon commanders wondering just what the H--- to do now! :shocked: :shocked:

Currently working through the call sign template so my next multi national outfit has 1/1/A for the Yanks (I still don't understand that system) and 12A for Commonwealth.

Not to derail too far, but what's hard to understand about that? :)

I've never (outside SB) seen the platoon designations expressed as "1/1/A". It's always been 1-1/A or 11/A. Easy logic of [Vehicle Number]-[Platoon]/[Company] or [Vehicle][Platoon]/[Company].

Easier than agreeing on date format, IMO. :D

Sure if you know that's the sequence. :)

Of course it gets better when you are used to the reverse (Sqn / Tp / Veh). :)

The US approach / sequence has caught me out a few times.

So your example (11/A) for a US person I belive would be:

1st Veh / 1st Pl / A Coy (so presumably the Pl Comd).

For me 11A is:

A Sqn / 1 Tp / Tp Sgt (so the 2IC of the Tp).

Edited by Gibsonm

with BMS, we have change from alphanumeric callsign to full numeric callsign. ie my last callsign was previously 8QLM and was 1430 when I left the French Army.

It is quite simple:

1: rank of the regiment in the brigade ORDBAT

4: squadron

3: platoon

0: rank in the platoon (0 platoon leader; 1 1st wingman; 2 deputy platoon leader; 3 2nd wingman; 4 squad leader; 5 deputy squad leader, 9 collective platoon callsign)

On the squadron net, we use only the 2 last digit (but the BMS shows the full 4 digit)