t-72 vs bradley

oscar19681

Guest theGUNSLINGER

noooooooo! is there a second part to that video i havnt seen that one before must be a two part he said "misfire" and the video ended

noooooooo! is there a second part to that video i havnt seen that one before must be a two part he said "misfire" and the video ended

Well the entire episode goes for either 30 or 60 mins and you have seen what, 2?

My personal favourite is the one in NW Europe where the Canadian Sherman pushes its barrel through a hedge and basically puts it against the mantlet of a Tiger I coming through the hedge the other way. :)

I just watched the series on my tv for the first time about a week ago. I don't have cable or dish, so I get this kind of programming streamed from Netflix. I hope they do more in a second series, but I realize there is probably a limit to the number of tank battles that would qualify. Battle recreations with CG graphics sure brings a new perspective to understanding history. The "Dogfights" series is another example.

I just watched the series on my tv for the first time about a week ago. I don't have cable or dish, so I get this kind of programming streamed from Netflix. I hope they do more in a second series, but I realize there is probably a limit to the number of tank battles that would qualify. Battle recreations with CG graphics sure brings a new perspective to understanding history. The "Dogfights" series is another example.

Try Patton 360.It pretty good.Theres a lot of CG Tank battles.

I hope they do more in a second series, but I realize there is probably a limit to the number of tank battles that would qualify.

You're in luck, there is a second series. You can see the full list of episodes in both series here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Tank_Battles_(TV_series)

My personal favourites were "The October War: Battle for Golan Heights" and "The Six Day War: Battle for the Sinai" mostly because I hadn't realised quite how excellent Israeli employment of armour was in these engagements (I only had a vague idea prior to watching these). It's encouraged me to buy some books to study these campaigns in more detail.

Guest theGUNSLINGER

You're in luck, there is a second series. You can see the full list of episodes in both series here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Tank_Battles_(TV_series)

My personal favourites were "The October War: Battle for Golan Heights" and "The Six Day War: Battle for the Sinai" mostly because I hadn't realised quite how excellent Israeli employment of armour was in these engagements (I only had a vague idea prior to watching these). It's encouraged me to buy some books to study these campaigns in more detail.

Excellent! Thanks. I enjoyed the first series. I kept the "Greatest Tank Battles" in my queue, instead of deleting it after watching, in hopes that there would be a second season. Netflix will add the second season to it when the episodes become available for streaming. My guess is that it won't happen until next spring. I can always have them send me the DVD once it comes out, if I can't wait.

Seeing the Golan Heights and 73 Easting episodes really cleared up how it it went down for me. I had some trouble visualizing them just from books and descriptions. It's hard for me to pick a overall favorite from the season one episodes.

A couple of other programs I've recently watched were "Tank Overhaul", where a number of modern and WW2 tanks in were refurbished inside and out and put into running condition, such as the M-18, Centurion, Elefant, M-24, BMP-1.

"Battle Tech", where in one episode they examined the Stryker and it's capabilities.

"Elite Forces", where in one episode the covered basic tank school at Ft. Knox for Marines. This was shot in 2001 in August-September just before and after 9/11 occurred.

I had to laugh at one point where a trainee drove his M1A1 through a flooded deep mud hole too fast with his hatch open and the water washed up and over the front into the hatch. He was covered in a thin layer of mud from head to foot. They didn't show the inside of the driver's hatch. Another driver broke a sprocket on the course. It cracked in one spot and popped clean off the tank.

Pretty good film, not bombastic or sentimental, but realistic. It's the first documentary I've seen that tries to explain certain mysteries that I mentioned why the Iraqis seem to be in slow motion in another thread. When the ground war had kicked off, the Iraqis might have regarded the first sign of violence as telegraphing another air raid as they had done for weeks, in which case they would leave their vehicles, which they should. When they realized in fact they were being shot at by tanks and armored vehicles, they would scramble back in, by then too late.

The story of Zvika Greengold is quite epic.

Yes, an incredible story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zvika_Greengold

It's a great demonstration of how one man's initiative, courage and obvious proficiency in his domain can change the course of a whole battle; Michael Wittman at Villers-Bocage being another memorable example.

Edited by Panzer_Leader

• Members

Yes... but Villers-Bocage didn't really change anything for either side. Greengold stopped the best chance that the Syrians had for a major breakthrough and thus, arguably, set the foundation for the recovery of Israel's operations in the Golan and eventually their successful defense.

Also, I value Greengold's tenacity higher. He didn't have the biggest badass tank around, it got shot up under him several times, and he still wouldn't quit after 24 hours when the only reinforcements that he received was but a single tank (which was then knocked out just half an hour later). Plus, Greengold scrambled as a reservist who wasn't even called up, and grabbed a motley band of tankers and three vehicles from a repair shop.

If I were to name the top tank ace of all time, it would be him, not Wittmann. Chromed balls of steel, the size of coconuts, and just as hairy.

The other small unit action in this category that springs to mind is Otto Carius’ destruction of a Soviet armoured spearhead at Malinava, Latvia in July 1944. Carius, with his wingman, and supported by six other Tigers destroyed 17 JS-2s and five T-34s. Two surviving Soviet tanks were routed. Again, the passage in ‘Tigers in the Mud’ where this is described almost beggars belief. As the only local German unit with the ability to disrupt a significant Soviet breakthrough, the initiative and courage he displayed, backed up by extreme confidence in his unit and equipment, was quite remarkable.

Need to find second season.

As to Malinava, there's alot of fog about the whole thing. Basically we only have Carius' account and the combat report of his unit, and even those differ(at least in my copy of the book). Soviet reports are either missing or won't fill out the picture. This is not to discredit him, he's a great guy and did incredible things.

OK ! I have to admit i replayed the battle of 73 easting scenarion in steel beasts again!!! Better yet i adjusted the in-game time to 0400 hourse acourdingly to the youtube data. I didnt change much to the mission itself since its pretty much accurate. ;)

Strangely, I've never played that scenario. I'll have to give it a whirl this weekend. I particularly like your point about changing the scenario's time to 0400, the actual time of the battle.