Anybody Hear Anthing About This?

sabot_ready

Guest theGUNSLINGER
I have a nasty feeling that there will be a lot more about Iran in the news soon.

I have to agree with you there i think this is gonna get nasty

Iran is a market in which there is little competition due to sanctions. Anyway it is only logical to improve relations with a natural friend (competition with the US, historical animosity with Turkey, etc). Anyway the two lack a frontier so the problem of a common border along with past history between the two are not as much of an issue.

As regards the other thing, if there was intent to obtain a bomb shown then things might be different. However the Supreme Leader had issued a fatwa condemning nuclear weapons as "un-Islamic" and the fact that Iran is still a member of the NPT undermine such a narrative of the country seeking a weapon, however if those change then you might get some movement from the Russians. However I am not so sure that the Russians would jeopardize valuable business deals there due in part to the nature of the Russian government and due to at least publicly stating that a future crude Iranian weapon is not a threat to them.

The relationship could also be designed to gain leverage on the US. "Keep out of our sphere of influence and we will clamp down some on Iran" would be the deal. So there are multiple possible reasons for the relationship. Some of which are clearly opportunistic.

However it seems like the relationship has declined some last year. This due to Russia agreeing to sanctions but also finally declining to export the S-300 system to Iran after years of delays.