British, English voice localisation package

Crusty

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did TGIF today with this and feedback / questions:

1. The Loader needs to grow a pair.

All I heard was a girlish whisper about "HEAT ready", not "HEAT READY!!!". :)

2. Also (this might be one for Irish) not sure why the Commander was giving me corrections when it was still a Gunner's shoot (i.e. I could see the target in my reticule).

I was expecting "Add" or "Drop", not "Add 200" or "Drop 300" (I'm assuming those figures are fixed - not generated by the actual correction required)?

Will drive around tonight and see if I can get all the responses.

Appreciate the effort that went into it though (keeping the guys sober for one take, etc.) :)

I was given a script Daaaahling! :)

HEAT ready? HESH, FIN or Coax are only ones we use. And loader just shouts LOADED. Doesn't matter what nature is loaded. Ill have to wait til November till I can have a play.

Well I suspect / hope I was told "HEAT ready" because I was in a M1A1.

I'd hope if I were in a CR2 that I'd get HESH or FIN (i.e. the responses reflect the natures available). :)

Easy way to check though:

Lance Sgt, bring my wagon up to the Mess ....

Well I did get FIN and HESH. :)

But I still got that followed by ready.

Like you our training is just "Loaded!!!" (loud enough to be heard through the helmet - that is without the intercom)

I was also told "target" before I'd even fired?!

Not sure which phrases are linked to which events.

I did get "traverse Left/Right" but no "steady, ON!"

But at least I'm not hearing "UP!" any more. :)

• Moderators

I don't need someone increasing the volume and making it a "mod" -- if there is something wrong, be it cues or volumes, then just create a new thread and list all the issues and I will fix them. I already mentioned this in some thread somewhere else. Which crew members aren't loud enough? All or some?

As for HEAT vs HESH, it isn't quite as simple as you all may think. To make a long story short, we have only HEAT commands really, but I replaced those with HESH types for the time being - I basically fudged it on my own so I wouldn't hear any pissing and moaning about it, but now we have a different colored piss and different sounding moans, apparently. Anyway, I could have missed one. On regards to "target" the phrase is "target, stop" and it may be playing once for target being hit and again for the cease fire (I thought I fixed this though).

Roger,

I'll write up the Aust fire control orders and responses then a Brit can vet them to make sure they still apply.

I'll also list the "quiet" ones.

Is there any way to play them all (file by file) as opposed to playing multiple scenarios in the hope that I cycle through all the responses?

They are wav files in the eSim common user install location

I.E. where the map height files live (or next door)

WRT the "Target" and "Stop"

Target = Well, target. :)

Go On = Reengage.

Stop = Cease fire.

Well that's how I/we decided to record them anyway.

Seemed daft to do "Target, Stop!" immediately followed by "Go On!" if the target was hit but still "alive"

So they became separate sounds for :

"Target!"

"Go On!"

&

"Stop!" (Seemed logical. :) )

My "problem" with target was that I given that response before I'd actually fired. :)

"go on" usually means execute the fire order you have been given.

We do "STOP!, target destroyed"

So something like "STOP! target destroyed, next target right GO ON!"

means:

stop shooting at target 1

lay on target 2

wait for it , wait for it

fire on target 2 - NOW

But again I'll draft a list for RAC review.

The other bit I didn't get was "Add 200" or "Drop 200", given that this didn't change (i.e. everytime I was short the correction was always "add 200") I though perhaps the more generic "add" or "drop" would suffice.

Anyway I'm sure there will be hours of chat about gunnery in the near future. :)

I don't need someone increasing the volume and making it a "mod" -- if there is something wrong, be it cues or volumes, then just create a new thread and list all the issues and I will fix them. I already mentioned this in some thread somewhere else. Which crew members aren't loud enough? All or some?

Don't worry I won't put it up here, but even if if I did what is the problem with that? Sofar the SIM has been pretty mod friendly, so I do not see the issue with that. Sorry but I'm not reading all of the threads, so no idea you mentioned it before. If you think the sound levels are right than leave it as it is - I guess this was also tested and got the OK stamp.

I am just saying that for me crew voices seemed too low - now I have only been using UK sounds in SB 3.0 sofar so I don't know about the other ones. I have increased volumes on the UK files manually to 150% but it doesn't really seem to do the trick - is there something like a governor on volume levels within SB currently?

Don't worry I won't put it up here, but even if if I did what is the problem with that? Sofar the SIM has been pretty mod friendly, so I do not see the issue with that. Sorry but I'm not reading all of the threads, so no idea you mentioned it before. If you think the sound levels are right than leave it as it is - I guess this was also tested and got the OK stamp.

I am just saying that for me crew voices seemed too low - now I have only been using UK sounds in SB 3.0 sofar so I don't know about the other ones. I have increased volumes on the UK files manually to 150% but it doesn't really seem to do the trick - is there something like a governor on volume levels within SB currently?

Speak softly and carry a big Gun. ;)

• Moderators

Let's all stay realistic here. If we are talking about some volume changes then that is pretty easy. I would like to avoid re-recording phrases if possible, because what is usually misunderstood is that if you have a second session then the voices will end up not sounding uniform (in inflection, background noise, and volume). I am mentioning this because, Gibson, try to keep your feedback as simple as possible.

We basically have to shoehorn every crew type's syntax into one, so sometimes it isn't perfect. Volume adjustments are straight forward however.

In regards to "target" and "stop", target is used for "target" (you hit the target) stop is used for "cease fire". If you hear "target' while not shooting, then well, it is the AI TC being confused basically. Maybe you fired several times and he is just now telling you that you hit the target? Or maybe you are confused and you actually hear him say "stop" before you shot -- which makes more sense because he will say "stop" if you are on hold fire, or if he doesn't think you should shoot because of... various variables.

Regarding "Add" and "Drop", I just listened to them again and actually you cannot just cut off "200" from both and have them sound right, because it will sound like something follows (due to the inflection), "Add........____________" Add what? Is the "200" really a problem, or is it a nit pick? It is just a generic correction is what I thought. If someone wants to be done outside of the current behavior then both the APC and tank commander needs to record just "Add" and "Drop" again.

Damn, where were all the critics when the real men were looking for helpers on this very forum and rolling up their sleeves to do the recordings? ;)

Damn, where were all the critics when the real men were looking for helpers on this very forum and rolling up their sleeves to do the recordings? ;)

Well I did offer - but fairly tongue in cheek because:

1. I presumed I was some 17,000km from the central recording venue.

2. I figured I had the wrong accent. ;)

• Moderators

2. I figured I had the wrong accent. ;)

You all (y'all) sound the same to me. Just kidding! :biggrin:

Speaking of volume changes, after reviewing the voices again, I think it is really just an issue with the loader's voice, correct? Any other crew members need their volumes raised?

Oh, BTW, as for hearing all the voices -- you will have to go to the "loc" folder and just play them one by one, but all the .wav files are there.