British, English voice localisation package

Crusty

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Did this ever come to fruition? Just wondering in case I find myself in a UK unit during "Red Tide." (I've been familiarizing myself with the ol' Chally.)

After all, UK troops with that southern US twang is just wrong.

No not implemented yet, as Hedge says still lots to do, and as ever real life has got in the way so it's sort of on the back boiler for the moment,

but certainly still going to happen :biggrin:

Did this ever come to fruition? Just wondering in case I find myself in a UK unit during "Red Tide." (I've been familiarizing myself with the ol' Chally.)

After all, UK troops with that southern US twang is just wrong.

Absolutely right, old chap. Damn bad show, eh, what? :)

• 5 months later...

Funny how people with the most extreme local dialects can always understand 'received pronunciation' - or BBC English as it was once known. But those brought up on received pronunciation often can't understand those speaking in a strong dialect. There's an obvious solution to the problem, but it is no longer politically acceptable (due to the current worship of 'diversity') to say what it is.

Hey Mark

I dont think C/S come into the voice files. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Irish

Yes there's a bunch of stuff you'd need to address / "fix":

When units get to the end of a route you get "This is XX (US call sign) we are at our checkpoint awaiting orders"

The XX remains fixed regardless of what you may have changed the call sign template to (would be great if it was dynamic).

That callsign information is reflected in a bunch of the messages (" ... under fire here", "... request permission to retreat", etc.)

Then "checkpoint"? (maybe "firm on bound" instead?)

Then there's all the internal "crew chatter" (terms like "sabot" and "up", "calibre 50", etc. to be replaced with "Shell", "Fin", "Loaded", etc.).

Its a bit more than just reading the script / list of responses in UK accents. :)

But you've got the next, what, 6 weeks to crack it. :o

Would be good if you could complete it by, say, end of February. This would leave us sufficient time to integrate it for the next PE release.

Guest Killjoy
Dreever, Advance, Like! :biggrin:

"Hi, Davey. See tha Fockin' mausive yoke ouar yonder? The wan way the big red star? Right, Fockin' nack 'is ballax in!"

:)