Great Joy Stick for Steel Beasts - Saitek X52

sirchimp

I recently purchased a Saitek X52 mainly for flight simulators, but I found that it is the best joystick I have found yet for gunnery in game. The buttons on the joy stick are mapped almost perfectly and the aiming is very very smooth and responsive while not being jerky. I was using a Logitech G5 mouse which was very over sensitive, and I also tried my old Logitech Joystick which frankly sucked more then the mouse for aiming.

I got my Saitek X52 Joystick/Throttle combo at Circuit City for about a $108 bucks. If you are a hard core gamer - this is the combo for you. I have to admit though it was hard putting that kind of money down on a joystick/throttle combo.

Here is a link to the manufactures website

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/x52.htm

Hi Sirchimp.

Thanks for the tip i was looking for a good joy stick.

No problem

Here is a review of the pro version. The only difference I can see between the pro version and the regular version I have is the different buttons on the multifunction display and the lights along the length of the throttle gage showing your throttle setting. Otherwise its the exact same product.

I recently purchased this game and I think it's great.

I'm using Logitech Extreme and I think my default controls are reversed (when I pull the stick the gun goes down and when I push the stick the gun goes up).

Is this realistic or do I have to change controls for gun elevation?

I recently purchased this game and I think it's great.

I'm using Logitech Extreme and I think my default controls are reversed (when I pull the stick the gun goes down and when I push the stick the gun goes up).

Is this realistic or do I have to change controls for gun elevation?

CTRL-J will invert it.

Hi All,

Does anyone use a yoke for Steel Beasts? I currently use a Saitek X35F and I want to replace it as the fine control no longer works all that well. I was thinking that a yoke like the one below might work better than a joystick for gunnery.

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/yoke.htm

I'd appreciate any any input from anyone who has tried a yoke with SB.

• Members

I'm not sure if the buying decision should be exclusively guided by SB requirements. If it is a digital stick, programmable, with at least four buttons, it will be "good enough" for SB. But maybe, if you're also playing flight sims or other games that can use a joystick, you may want some additional features - force feedback, for example, makes a lot of sense for flight sims or racing games even though it's useless for SB Pro. Being programmable is always a good thing, though for SB a "programming lite" (hotkey assignment à la Logitech ForceWare) solution is good enough (other simulations may profit from the more complex CH interface).

• 2 weeks later...

The difference between the X-52 and the X-52 Pro is that the pro version has twice the number of magnets in the magnetic hall, so it is even more accurate and sensitive, excelent for tracking distant targets etc. There are other differences, e.g. the spring arrangement is much better.

A great piece of kit and worth spending the extra loot on over the X-52 if you can afford too.