SB Pro PE Workstation

SSG.GETCH

8 hours ago, Marko said:

I considered buying a special edition steel battalion controller once there made for the xbox-360

I have one of those. I think it would be a bit of overkill for SB. And it would take up a lot of desk space. The left joystick only moves left/right. I suppose you could use it for steering.

I thought about modding mine, but then I wouldn't be able to play Steel Battalion. :P It is a pretty fun game.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

How did you managed to force SB to use 2nd monitor as map?

So far i managed to either use ifinity to stretch it over all 3 screens or it is on one screen with both side screens showing windows desktop. Using 1 for map and 2nd for radio or team speak overlay would be awesome tho.

You can start two instances of SB and use one for the map. If you're playing single player, start a LAN session in the first and join it in the second. Leave the IP field blank.

If you're playing online just join with both instances.

Edited by Lt DeFault

On 08/06/2016 at 2:40 AM, Lumituisku said:

Just a little bit. How did you get / make that control panel on right side. Is it operational and how much use it is?

It's a very early proof of concept prototype that AFV Sim made, yes it works and it's useful  :D

On 6/9/2016 at 5:34 AM, Lt DeFault said:

You can start two instances of SB and use one for the map. If you're playing single player, start a LAN session in the first and join it in the second. Leave the IP field blank.

If you're playing online just join with both instances.

I will try this...

Thx!

• 2 weeks later...

This is my rig.

WP_20160618_16_07_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.06bbe

WP_20160618_16_09_47_Pro.thumb.jpg.56f39

All the commands are handled by an Enterpad- a 120-key programmable keypad from Cedeq. It's a membrane keyboard with a clear plastic overlay cover which lets you print out your own configuration overlay sheet with labels matching the key layout. The device can store two different sets of key layouts so you can quickly change the layout sheets and have two different configurations switched "on the fly". Another great thing is that it's recognized by Windows as a standard keyboard so you can use it together with a joystick (SB is recognizing only one game device).

I have to admit that at 300 USD it's not the cheapest solution, but AFAIK the only one which lets you change both the configuration and button labeling without any hassle. I'm using it also for MS Flight Simulator which makes this feature even more valuable.

WP_20160618_16_07_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20160618_16_09_47_Pro.jpg

You can use voice command software to replace any command which can be assigned to keyboard or joystick so i used that instead of getting iPad or any tabled etc...

It is a bit of pain until you get all into it and make him recognize everything but once set it is native as yelling commands to crew ( for me at least ), and it was cheaper solution compared to pad. :)

I guess it is a matter of what you personally like. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just got back into SB after 7 years and enjoying it. I look forward to scrubbing the rust off and getting on-line.

I'm trying to set up Saitek X55 stick for the gunner but the lag between the black cross hair (?) and reticle is horrible. I'm over/under correcting. Previously I had X52 and it worked good.

Are you guys using a stick for gunner? How are you overcoming this lag?

Thanks

Greg

I use an X-55 and have no lag issues.  All the issues I had seemed to be software related and these went away when I downloaded the latest version of their software.  

I just need to find a source for the toggle switches as I seemed to have found a way to break one.

14 minutes ago, TSe419E said:

I use an X-55 and have no lag issues.  All the issues I had seemed to be software related and these went away when I downloaded the latest version of their software.  

I just need to find a source for the toggle switches as I seemed to have found a way to break one.

Hi TS

Sorry for the confusion. The "lag" I'm referring to is in the SB gunner sights. When you traverse the reticle lags behind the black "t" cursor. It's the same when using the mouse but I prefer the stick.

Are you manning an M-1 variant?  The reticle of the early M-1s moves when it is applying dynamic lead after you have laser a target.  It will keep skewing around until you dump the lead by pressing "p."  I have the pinky lever of the joystick mapped to do this for me.  

Reread your post.  I have never had the black crosshairs when using a mouse (or I just never noticed it).  I have seen it on some videos and I think it is for visual reference to help you control the turret traverse speed and not meant to be the aiming point for the main gun.

Edited by TSe419E

I have X55 as well, no probs at all, gunnery sight works ok, however.. You are talking about black cross hair - you dont see black one unless you click on sight with your mouse and you have enabled in options "show mouse lead" or something similar.. So maybe you are pulling on 1 side with mouse cursor ( black one ) and to other side with X55 input?

Edited by BigBadVuk

TS,

Maybe videos will better describe it. Here's the black cross showing lead. Go to 4:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6q9w9ozUPU&index=6&list=PLSIpQ7R8lVfK3ytC5GI9Fjdwp4jPQ04Xl

I use the "P" command to dump.

This video has no black cross. Go to 2:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDbZhoLxo58

How can I eliminate the black cross?

BBV,

Thanks for response. No luck finding "show mouse lead". Looked in SB and Win10 control manager. Where is it?

Edited by gx007

It disappears, on my rig, when I start to use the joystick after I use the mouse to move to the primary sight.

If you use the F2 button to get to the gunner's primary sight the cursor doesn't appear.  I have this mapped to the H3 thumb button on the throttle.

1 hour ago, gx007 said:

BBV,

Thanks for response. No luck finding "show mouse lead". Looked in SB and Win10 control manager. Where is it?

When you start the game and enter the actual battle in system menu it should be shown as "show mouse vector"

For some reason i cant make screen shot ( i get white screen ) so i cant show you exactly where it is but it is in system menu.

However it should disappear as already mentioned above as soon as you move or use your joystick. How is X-55 working in other games? 

I have only used it for SB.  I like it a lot.  Lets me concentrate on the sight picture rather than, "where that key is that I need to push to get in order to successfully engage this target?"

I am still mapping keys and changing things around trying to improve it.

Edited by TSe419E

20 hours ago, BigBadVuk said:

When you start the game and enter the actual battle in system menu it should be shown as "show mouse vector"

For some reason i cant make screen shot ( i get white screen ) so i cant show you exactly where it is but it is in system menu.

However it should disappear as already mentioned above as soon as you move or use your joystick. How is X-55 working in other games? 

BBV,

Still can't locate "show mouse vector." I'll keep looking.

The X55 is great. I had a X52 prior to this one. For flight sims I use CH fighter stick, pedals, MFD, TrackIR5, but use X55 throttle (more buttons and dual engine capability). Some of this will carry over into SB but trying to use X55 stick for SB.

What's your set up?