Javelin targeting

Companion

The infantry wanted to get the biggest threat first, even if the missile is not really designed for it. It's in bugzilla. Until there is a way to select weapons, it will be that way.

So the AI chooses target even if the player is at the sights?

That explanation is also strange because at the same test scen, I somehow was able to target one of the two tanks standing alongside each other (I don't know how I managed to shift target from chopper), destroyed the tank, and when I tried to engage the other tank (by laying the reticle onto it), the missiles will for some reason keep track and hit the already dead tank from previous engagement...

I fired about a dozen missiles, which all hit the same dead tank, before quitting in frustration.

• Administrators

You didn't say you were watching in the sights, lol. It doesn't sound right that the AI would drag you off one thing and shoot at another.

So the AI chooses target even if the player is at the sights?

That explanation is also strange because at the same test scen, I somehow was able to target one of the two tanks standing alongside each other (I don't know how I managed to shift target from chopper), destroyed the tank, and when I tried to engage the other tank (by laying the reticle onto it), the missiles will for some reason keep track and hit the already dead tank from previous engagement...

I fired about a dozen missiles, which all hit the same dead tank, before quitting in frustration.

why are you using the javlin which is an anti tank weapon to shoot down a chopper in the first place.

Dont know about Javelin crews, but my first tour of duty in the army was as Mech Coy Squad leader, with focus on the RBS56. And we trained on engaging low and slow flying choppers, static choppers and oncoming choppers. So I guess all other ATGM should have the same capability.

I've just experienced this too.

I set up a Javelin team on a crest with 3 impotent T-72's heading their way in column formation along a road.

The pic below shows what happened. I was targeting the lead vehicle, the one on the right. After firing and tracking the target the missile came down and hit the second vehicle in the column. I fired again, still focusing on the lead vehicle and it took out the third one instead (far left).

Very odd...

SS_22_28_20.jpg

IIRC, although you can use the sights with the javelin, its actually AI controlled as far as target selection.

Mog

But wouldn't AI distinguish between a dead target and a live one and try not to engage the dead one?

Anyways, if it's already reported to bugzilla I'll leave it at that.

Ganging up on the Javelin, I was running through the infantry ATGMs and found that it would target the nearest tank, but it would always miss. I've seen this problem in prior versions of SB but never found the reason or solution. Every Javelin shot overshoots and hits behind the target, and in my test scenario the range was 1km and the target was stationary. Has anybody else seen this?

Further Testing:

If I am playing as any other unit than the shooting unit, the missile hits every time. It's just when I'm actually playing as the Javelin unit that the missile misses every time. Kind of odd, but I can live with it. All the other missile teams can be directly controlled by the player, but the Javelin is "special."

Edited by LtGeorge
Further Testing

Companion, thanks for uploading the scenario. I took a look at it and here are my observations:

The Hind was not being hit because it was outside the range of the Javelin (2500m).

Mog was right by saying that the AI is selecting the target. So when you look through the sight initially, whatever the AI happens to be looking at will be where the missile goes, even if you move the crosshairs to another target. So right now, you can't aim the weapon yourself, you can only fire it at what the AI has selected as a target.

Quagmire, this is what you are seeing also. The AI still wants to engage the same target even after it has been destroyed. Why I don't know, but I'll be sure to pass this along to the guys "upstairs".

Ideally, the missile should track the target inside the crosshairs when you fire it, but that's not what is currently happening. Thanks for the report guys.

Attached is my test scenario. Whenever I play as the javelin team, the missile misses every shot. If I play as red, it hits every time. If I switch between the javelin and FO teams, it misses sometimes.

The misses are most common when testing the sce. When in Offline Session, it doesn't miss as much. Maybe it is just that the missile isn't always perfect? (gasp!)

So maybe it is something, maybe nothing...

56e83cabef7e4_Inf_Test(2.640)_zip.dbc9b1

Inf_Test (2.640).zip

...the missile misses every shot.

I guess that's why they called it a "miss-ile". If it hit every time, they'd have to call it a "hittle" I guess.

Anyway, I took a look at the sce in the mission editor, and all three times I played it though, the missile hit the tanks first shot, every shot. I was playing from the gunner view, and watching the team from the external view.

The only one it didn't engage was the far left one, which was out of range.