Panzergrenadier Tactics

v.Trittwitz

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to the game, but already spent some considerable time with it. After a number of engagements, I noticed the following behaviour of mounted troops, either Marder or Bradley:

Troops would unmount their vehicles whenever the vehicle stops. Even after just starting the scenario, troops would unmount without given order to do so. I always find it rather annoying to jump to every single unit to give the order to mount again (shift+u). Troops would also unmount when the carrier reaches its waypoint.

Is this real life tactical behaviour? I served in the air force and therefore find it rather funny to imagine, paratroopers would leave their rig at every waypoint…

This might be the reason that they invented helicopters, ey? ;-)

Has this been addressed already?

Do you use a specific order or shortcut to give the order to only unmount when ordered to do so or when the vehicle is engaged?

cheers,

v.Trittwitz

• Members

You'll find many posts about the issue in the forum with the Search function. In short, due to a number of changes requested by users the result now is a bit of a mess. We need to overhaul the mount/dismount thing completely as it is pretty unpredictable now whether or not a squad will dismount at a waypoint, and be loaded again before the platoon moves to a new location.

In principle this should depend completely on user command (U and Shift+U) from the 3D view. Of course we also need to catch certain special cases, e.g. what if the IFV is under fire and is damaged immobilized (it doesn't make sense to stay on board then - unless there's artillery fire outside), and other of these nasty snags. It's those special cases that make it difficult do define behavioral routines that are convenient, predictable, reasonable, and realistic.

Thanks for the answers.

I have to admit that this bug keeps me away from playing the game as often as I should be playing it, due to the pain in the ass it causes.

On the other hand, if someone could step forward to design a few missions that feature NATO forces in hasty retreat, we could employ the runaways as forward sentries, as German pockets were euphemistically called during the retreat at the Eastern Front. In other words, we abandon them to their own fate.