Map Issues

Gator

I am having problems trying to pick the larger maps in the mission editor. Small maps, like the Haune Valley load fine, but large maps like any Fulda Gap, Hannover, Wolfsburg, etc, do not load. Also, in the map editor those larger maps load, but when I hit F1 and try to view these maps it does not load the textures, etc.

I am having problems trying to pick the larger maps in the mission editor. Small maps, like the Haune Valley load fine, but large maps like any Fulda Gap, Hannover, Wolfsburg, etc, do not load. Also, in the map editor those larger maps load, but when I hit F1 and try to view these maps it does not load the textures, etc.

I believe (but don't quote me) that there is a limit to the size of map you can load into the mission editor...something like 20km x 20km. If you are trying to load up an entire map, some of which are bigger than 20km then it is not going to work for you. You need to pick out a section of that map which is no bigger than the above size I mentioned. Again, don't quote me on it.

• Members
...when I hit F1 and try to view these maps it does not load the textures, etc.

Does it work immediately after a Windows reboot?

The preview function call needs a comparatively large chunk of contiguous RAM space, which should be available with not too many background tasks running.

I have seen the same thing. I got the Hannover-Weserbergland.ter map to open only once in the editor, and that was only fairly soon after booting. The other times I had tried it, the progress bar appeared for only about a second and then disappeared, with no error message. The operation apparently cancels itself if it cannot get enough recources. It would be helpful if it gave notice of what happened.

I have 8 GB of RAM on Windows 7 Pro x64. a core i5 2520 CPU, and an NVIDIA NVS 4200M GPU.

• 2 weeks later...
I have seen the same thing. I got the Hannover-Weserbergland.ter map to open only once in the editor, and that was only fairly soon after booting. The other times I had tried it, the progress bar appeared for only about a second and then disappeared, with no error message. The operation apparently cancels itself if it cannot get enough recources. It would be helpful if it gave notice of what happened.

I have 8 GB of RAM on Windows 7 Pro x64. a core i5 2520 CPU, and an NVIDIA NVS 4200M GPU.

Same exact issue here - Hannover-Weserbergland.ter can't be viewed in the map editor. The progress bar would pop up for a few seconds, then it would go to the map without viewing. No error message. I'll post more if I can spot a pattern.

Sys: Win 7, 6GB RAM, Phenom II P960 @ 1.8 GHz, HD 4200 GPU.

Later - I can open an unedited map. I'm slowly stepping through the mods I do to it and trying to find at what point the view breaks.

Edited by LtGeorge
Debugging 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty big deal. If it worked in the last version but not now, my guess is its the increased views distance. Anyhow if you happen to be one of the many users afflicted with this bug, it sucks. Is there a hotpatch or something in the near future? The silence is deafening...

• Members
This is a pretty big deal. If it worked in the last version but not now, my guess is its the increased views distance.

You are correct, it's related to the increased viewing distances.

All I can say is that the programmers are aware of the issue, and that nobody is happy with it for obvious reasons. The remedy isn't easy however since the function is part of a library that we're using - so either we can find an update for that library which fixes this issue, or we need to program the entire function by ourselves, which costs development time which again is a scarce commodity.

So, no promises for a quick solution.

Had a try at opening the Hannover-Weserbergland.ter map in the map editor and it opened fine, but, if I tried to View (F1) then it wouldn't open the view. I had to close a few services before I could get it to open the view but it did open.

Win 7 x64ult. Core i7 965ex 3.2GHz, 6GB RAM, 1TB raid, Nvidia 580GTX.

Now on my laptop, what a diffrence, the map editor opens in a flash and loads up the Hannover-Weserbergland.ter in a few seconds, same with going to view, it is almost instant. The big diffrence is that the laptop has a 160GB SSD, it really speeds things up to the point that my desktop feels so slow!

Thinkpad X201T, Win7 x64Ult. i7 620M @2GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel 160GB SSD. Integrated HD Graphics on the i7 CPU.