Adanced tank range : Challenger 2 , Salisbury plain

oscar19681

I present to the community the Advanced tank range : challenger 2 Salisbury plain.

I wanted to create a gunnery range that was more realistic and more interesting then the standart one that we currently have now.

I made the tank range myself and modelled it after pictures and images of real british tank ranges .

You will have battle emplacents to choose from and targets on the move to kill.

Kill 15 targets out of multiple targets to finish the scenario and i included a user scoring to see how well you did.

I plan to make more of these for the major playable tanks but i might do some for APC,s as well.

It will each feature realistic maps of real training area,s and this one features the challanger 2 MBT on the salisbury plain map so this one is for the british and chally 2 lovers .

Next will be the M1A1 MBT on the fort hood or fort knox map.

I just uploaded it and should be available shortly

Have fun and please let me know if you like it or not so i can keep it in mind for my next Advanced tank range

SS_20_05_01.jpg.14cfd9110b3f51205e856a99

SS_20_04_44.jpg.56a991ff0ef9c638c799f575

SS_20_13_40.jpg.e4c08d92a5fab8c91a361216

SS_20_05_01.jpg.14cfd9110b3f51205e856a99

SS_20_04_44.jpg.56a991ff0ef9c638c799f575

SS_20_13_40.jpg.e4c08d92a5fab8c91a361216

I invested quite some time into this scenario. It has random eliments in it so it might play differently depending on the way you move about the range and what emplacement you choose to train in. I might add some extra stuff for an updated version. I would have loved some more feedback however.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/24/p13_fileid/2105

I have to play this a couple more times but I noticed a couple of things - might be hard to fix though given that some of the actions are randomized.

First, in the very first emplacement, I was presented a target that I could not hit while in the emplacement as the round simply impacted the emplacement wall. I had to manually drive out quite a distance to get a shot off at it.

Second, I thought it was a bit too difficult to determine when one was supposed to move from position to position. I was never quite sure if I was "done" at that firing point. That may have been what you intended though, but I found it confusing.

Third, I was presented some targets before even reaching the first emplacement - not sure if that was intended or not.

Had fun with it anyhow, and that's what it's all about! Thanks for the scenario.

I have to play this a couple more times but I noticed a couple of things - might be hard to fix though given that some of the actions are randomized.

First, in the very first emplacement, I was presented a target that I could not hit while in the emplacement as the round simply impacted the emplacement wall. I had to manually drive out quite a distance to get a shot off at it.

Second, I thought it was a bit too difficult to determine when one was supposed to move from position to position. I was never quite sure if I was "done" at that firing point. That may have been what you intended though, but I found it confusing.

Third, I was presented some targets before even reaching the first emplacement - not sure if that was intended or not.

Had fun with it anyhow, and that's what it's all about! Thanks for the scenario.

Yes ill look into it , what battle drill emplacement did you encounter the problem?

Also if you read the briefing it says you will be given targets when on the move between emplacements and this is intended. Otherwise you would just be fireing from a static position all the time.

Thanks for very nice sce. oscar19681.

Since you had disabled editing, it would be really nice that one could select different tank from the tarmac ... and then you could set trigger to activate either eastern or western block targets.

Also noticed strange thing. TC was calling over no matter where I shot at. Felt as laser reading was wrong as I missed with sabots shot after shot when enemy tank was in emplacement on the hill. I had to lase mid hill to hit it. Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks for very nice sce. oscar19681.

Since you had disabled editing, it would be really nice that one could select different tank from the tarmac ... and then you could set trigger to activate either eastern or western block targets.

Also noticed strange thing. TC was calling over no matter where I shot at. Felt as laser reading was wrong as I missed with sabots shot after shot when enemy tank was in emplacement on the hill. I had to lase mid hill to hit it. Anyone else noticed this?

I disabled editing because i will release more scenario,s featuring different tanks on maps that reflect there real world training locations. I mean how realistic would a t-72 on the salisbury plain range be?

As for the TC it seems to be a bug with the sim itself. Nothing i can help.

Edited by oscar19681

Thank you for the range, but due to the fact that targets are so far away and that the Chally's dispersion is so great, even on stationary targets I find first round hits difficults. It is especially bad with hull down targets. Is this supposed to be the case? Thank you again.

Thank you for the range, but due to the fact that targets are so far away and that the Chally's dispersion is so great, even on stationary targets I find first round hits difficults. It is especially bad with hull down targets. Is this supposed to be the case? Thank you again.

the range is an advanced range so there is supposed to be a challange , but still the targets are mostly between 1500 - 2500 meters about the same as the standart tank range from sbp. however i did notice that when hesh rounds are used the chance of gettting a first round hits are quite hard to come by. I think this is somehow either a chally 2 thing or a software issue combined with a challenging range. I,m working on the fort knox gunnery range featuring the M1A1 and feel i get a much better score with about the same distances regardless what rounds i use. The challenger does have a good fire control system but its just something with the hesh and wp rounds , maybe a real chally 2 tanker can shed some light on this?

No, I think that the bug is with the Fin rounds as well. On the first two tanks that you are presented, one moving and one stationary, it takes me at least 3 tries to get a hit on the stationary target. I don't really know why that is, fin round should be pinpoint accurate.

No, I think that the bug is with the Fin rounds as well. On the first two tanks that you are presented, one moving and one stationary, it takes me at least 3 tries to get a hit on the stationary target. I don't really know why that is, fin round should be pinpoint accurate.

ill look into it as soon as the christmass days are over. Ill test it thoroughly again myself and release a new version. I must admit it can be fine tuned a little more . But after that il probably give a 100% to finish the fort knox range because other follow up scenario,s are waiting as well since i have planned many more...

I had no problem to kill 15 target with 16 shell (WP shell on moving target need a lot of empirical Lead).

But I prefere Tank table VIII scenarios, because in yours, we don't know what to do and whenWould be far better if we had a scenarised plan; ie :

-move from position 1 to 10.

-at the end of each firing sequence, we have a message ("move to next location")

Wow froggy, how did you manage that? I can't even manage 25 shells for 15 targets... Those hull downs waste so much ammo, even with a proper lase. Anyways, it's not your fault oscar, just I guess eSim is following the specifications of real world ammo.

Congrats for the great Tank Range you've created.

My suggestions for improvement are:

1- When I first tried it, I heard the radio call Tanks, then enganged that tank that was hidden behind some debris, lucky shot. I dont know how to fix it, but if the target were a few cm on inside, I wouldnt be able to reach him. After killing him, I just wait and wait. Maybe a second radio call telling you to move to Firing Position #2 would take us out of the dark.

2- Playing as a Gunner in ther Chally, for some reason, my TC selected WillyPetes for me to engage PCs; maybe a 2.640 bug? Soon after, the range was up in smoke and my daysight useless! Dont know if its possible but either the possibility of allowing the player to edit ammo selection or just removing the WPs from the stores would help a lot!

Other than that it feels great in there.

Can I PLEASE ask that people dont post alternative version of the SP map up please? I did point this out in the readme I think. Not only does it mean people could be overwriting the original, but you need my original download to get it to work anyway because it has a new height file in it.

Im not precious about these kind of things, but I did spend over 2 years doing it and its all I ask In return. If you want to use it or even alter it to make scenarios to upload, no issues at all. But its not very cool to post other people work without asking first IMHO.

As for HESH dispersion, much to my surprise they do seem to be used against moving targets. The thing is the real tank has aided lay (which some people still call autolay apparently), which when its depressed when the gun is tracking the target, will maintain the track, or so I understand. That makes engaging moving targets much easier, particularly when you engaging with what is a fairly slow moving round. Much easier to find centre mass I would think.

Can I PLEASE ask that people dont post alternative version of the SP map up please? I did point this out in the readme I think. Not only does it mean people could be overwriting the original, but you need my original download to get it to work anyway because it has a new height file in it.

So Oscar needs to use your map in his scenario (i.e. the issue is that his scenario uses an older map that potentially will overwrite your newer / better one)?

Not trying to attribute blame, just work out a solution. ;)