Leo 1A5 GPSE? [RESOLVED]

stormrider_sp

I was trying the Leo1A5 Tutorials and when it came to the GPSE scenario, I couldn't "Aim and Shoot". The overide button was stated as Joystick Button 3 which happens to be my middle mouse button since I'm not using any joystick whatsoever. Do I have to use a joystick in order to be able to aim from the GPSE?

• Members
I was trying the Leo1A5 Tutorials and when it came to the GPSE scenario, I couldn't "Aim and Shoot". The overide button was stated as Joystick Button 3 which happens to be my middle mouse button since I'm not using any joystick whatsoever.

Did you keep it pressed?

Yep and no turret movement. It works from the Pano View tho. Is it possible to assign a regular keyboard key for this overide function? Pressing the middle mouse button and trying to lead the target isnt that confortable! Its not that I dont have a Joystick, but I really prefer aiming with the mouse in general.

I get the same thing. Seems as if the mouse is not controlling the GPSE at all. Even when you click the screen or the eyepiece from the F1 view.

It seems to register that the override is active though because the light illuminates. It's just that mouse movement doesn't translate to the sight.

Edit: I also just noticed there are two entries for "TC palm switch (Leo 1)" in the controls dialogue.

Edited by SeanPatrick
More info

• 7 years later...

It seems this is still the case, the TC is unable to override the Gunner when looking through the GPSE. When you press the LMB the arrow usually turns into the crosshair's pointer but when looking through the GPSE it only centers the arrow and the crosshairs don't show up.

I have tried to override through the GPSE with the PANO both in exchange on and off, also with the PANO exchange on and the PANO linked to the gunner sight overriding normaly in the PANO view.

Any ideas how to get this to work or is the wiki wrong is stating that the commander cannot override and control the gun through the GPSE?

21 minutes ago, Monkie said:

It seems this is still the case, the TC is unable to override the Gunner when looking through the GPSE. When you press the LMB the arrow usually turns into the crosshair's pointer but when looking through the GPSE it only centers the arrow and the crosshairs don't show up.

I have tried to override through the GPSE with the PANO both in exchange on and off, also with the PANO exchange on and the PANO linked to the gunner sight overriding normaly in the PANO view.

Any ideas how to get this to work or is the wiki wrong is stating that the commander cannot override and control the gun through the GPSE?

No,  this feature works as intended, I just checked it. You need to hold palm switch('override') hotkey, which is a middle mouse button by default, while overriding. And  if you have no joystick connected, then you need to "activate" sight view by left clicking- and in case of Leo 1A5 GPSE this  can be done only with 'override' hotkey   held pressed.

Ok that was the issue thanks. Is there some way of sticky holding down the Palm Switch? I thought I read somewhere there is an option for this?

Also I'm a bit confused by the dynamic lead. I'm seeing that the palm switch and the dynamic lead are both controlled by the MM button, are they one in the same on the real tanks grip controls?

14 minutes ago, Monkie said:

Ok that was the issue thanks. Is there some way of sticky holding down the Palm Switch? I thought I read somewhere there is an option for this?

From  memory- 'Sticky palm switches' are for M1 series  only (may be wrong here)

16 minutes ago, Monkie said:

Also I'm a bit confused by the dynamic lead. I'm seeing that the palm switch and the dynamic lead are both controlled by the MM button, are they one in the same on the real tanks grip controls?

No, this  is not how it supposed to work. There mast 2  separate keys- one   for dynamic lead, and another for   the palm switch, so try  to change assignments. And, BTW,  please be aware, that  dynamic lead at TC's position  is not available on BW  Leo-1A5.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I am trying to learn the Leo 1's TC position and it's a bit confusing. I tried to change some default controls for the Leo 1 and found that it's tricky and can kinda mess things up. Right now in order to override the gunner using the GPSE I have to press and hold the MM button, then click the LMB and then while continuing to hold the MM button (both as the palm switch and for dynamic lead) while clicking the RMB in order to lase. It is doable but takes a little effort and feels a bit akward so I was wondering what the real TC or gunner was doing in order to make this all happen.

• Members

"P" as a hotkey would also work (or any alternative, if you map it to a different key).

Yes, it's awkward... but keep in mind that you simply don't have the kind of grips, buttons, levers, knobs, and pedals that the Leopard 1 commander would have (yes, all of them), so there's limits to how convenient we can make it while still remaining somewhat consistent in the use of hotkeys and button assignments with  other vehicles that we're also simulating in Steel Beasts.

We have to choose - convenience of use, or consistency of hotkey usage. We decided to go with consistency as it doesn't require you to re-learn hotkeys with different vehicles (which would be terrible in its own way).