Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Just heard about new Steelbeasts!

Will there be proper models for missiles or just make them not look like fireballs from the front now?

Also it says the engine is getting updated, will it support things like damage maps for vehicles or hit decals now or any updates to the shader system (deferred shading?)?

• Members

I don't want to lose myself in technical mumbo-jumbo. The prime development goal for the new engine was to bring us proper shadows (done). To create better day/night transitions (done). To replace the old smoke/dust/fire sprite animations with particle effects (still in the works).

Some things will be delivered in the scheduled update after the 3.0 release (assuming that we'll receive feedback from you about incompatibilities or bugs that haven't shown up during the current beta test - so we'll use the time to not only fix eventual bugs but to continue the development).

I keep asking just a few things.

-Be able to play with redfor on singleplayer without having to change sides on game.

-More non-crewable and crewable eastern vehicles, like the chinese mbts and newer versions of T-72.

-More countries on the list so we could make scenarios with syria, china, india etc...

-Be able to play with redfor on singleplayer without having to change sides on game.

You can do this already, via the MP-screen.

Only thing is: the Blue side needs to function completely computercontrolled as well.

These scenario's are more rare,

but here is one, "Rothenkirchen CPX", by yrs truly :-)

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/268/p13_fileid/1359

Other solution: take your favorite scenario, script the Blue side, script it from Red side

(and upload here, so that others can enjoy as well -> who knows you create a new rage ! :-)

-More non-crewable and crewable eastern vehicles, like the chinese mbts and newer versions of T-72.

eSim keeps adding & adding new vehicles, so newer version of T-72 may (or may not) happen in the future.

Just heard about new Steelbeasts!

Will there be proper models for missiles or just make them not look like fireballs from the front now?

Also it says the engine is getting updated, will it support things like damage maps for vehicles or hit decals now or any updates to the shader system (deferred shading?)?

Depending on when you last used it - it has moved on considerably.

Happy to offer a demo licence for two weeks so you can do your own evaluation of the current version - before committing cash to the impending update.

• Members

No, only for those vehicles where you do see them. The other vehicles will eventually get modified, but not for the immediate 3.0 release.

I mean, really: You'll get what I show in these screenshots (plus pretty much everything else with which you're already familiar in SB Pro PE). I may miss to mention a few things because there's so much to present (and - yes, also because I think there should be the one or other nice litte surprise to discover after purchase). But if you don't see crew member characters in the overwhelming majority of all screenshots, treat it as a strong hint not to expect them in the release.

HAD Tiger, with either Mistral2 (AA missiles), Hellfire or rockets and equipped with a laser rangefinder and FCS to engage accuratly targets (including air to air) with canon and rockets (only need a 10 rounds burst to kill a moving helicopter at 1500m)

Externaly, there is no long fixed antenna on the left side of the HAD/HAP, so the 3D model is almost already done...

HAD (Hélicoptère Appui-Destruction, Support and Destruction Helicopter) is used by France and Spain (same camouflage, only marking are différents).It main role is to destroy ennemy vehicules and support the dismonted troops. Replace the dedicated anti-tank version, canceled some years ago.

HAP (Hélicoptère Appui-Protection, Support and Protection Helicopter) is the same chopper, but without antitank capacity (only guns, rockets, and Mistral 2). They have seen combat in Lybia, Afghanistan, Mali. It main role is to protect transport helicopters and support the dismonted troops.

Well while we are at it:

Take the upcoming Scorpion turret and put it on a M113 hull to give us the Australian "MRV" (Medium Reconnaissance Vehicle).

Two of them plus three M113 with Cadillac Gage T-50 turret instead of Scorpion and you have an Aust recce Tp from about 1975 until we got ASLAV. :)

Not hanging my hat on seeing it though. ;)

Well while we are at it:

Take the upcoming Scorpion turret and put it on a M113 hull to give us the Australian "MRV" (Medium Reconnaissance Vehicle).

Two of them plus three M113 with Cadillac Gage T-50 turret instead of Scorpion and you have an Aust recce Tp from about 1975 until we got ASLAV. :)

Not hanging my hat on seeing it though. ;)

I second this. I've always thought the M113A1 with T-50 turret would be a very interesting addition to the sim, same with the MRV.

The M113A1 with T-50 turret plus the Scorpion being introduced in v3.0 would also allow us to replicate NZ armoured units prior to introduction of NZLAV, which sported a very interesting MERDC pattern which I'm sure some skinner would love to replicate:

NZ07.jpg

NZ21.jpg

;)

They are in 2.654.

All you need is a map maker insane enough (in terms of patience) to put them all in.

Would a "line-drawing"-tool be possible to implement? Draw a "line" of poles the same way you draw battlefield graphics, and the poles are placed at regular intervals along that line (except if that results in placing them at a road, in water etc), tall obstacles (trees) along the line are cleared? (I'm assuming this isn't how it already works, based on your comment)