Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Servus Ssnake,

Sorry that I speak to your royal highness of eSim as a nonprofit customer.

A lot of people wait for another statement, and here I am.

I promise you, it will be my last here on the official steelbeasts “fansite”.

This is my private opinion, you will get an official PzBtl911(v) statement later.

Your post, Mr. Ssnake, is a shame, not only for Eisen and Thodt. It`s a hit in the face of all 911 members, but thank you for the clear words.

I have to apologize me, that we have our own website with an open forum for german speaking players.

I have to apologize for making 1st line support, in our spare time and for free.

I have to apologize for Eisen and Thodt. Sorry they stay in the first line of the support team in different ways to help others.

I don`t want to speak about cost, it was a giving and taking, both sites had her benefit, I thought.

Who is without fault cast the first stone.

I can`t do it, and you Mr. Big Boss?

Yes, we will enjoy the time with our serverlizenz, because we love the sim.

The Lizenz is a good leverage in our situation, a perfidious way, but for what.

I think over the last 6 years, we showed a good steelbeasts performance. A lot of events, if you have a look to the multiplayer subforum. We invited all and no one of our guest had to pay.

I could also speak about the maps and skins, scenarios and so on and so on.

What is a possible way to get a new server lizenz?

We have to apologize, forget it.

Enough is enough. It is pitiful like you cut of the tape.

Sorry Volcano, but I mean what I wrote to you in my last PM`s.

Happy to lead the 911 in future TTP events or in a new Campaign.

I will support every multiplayer event again in future. My guys are not happy with the situation, but they love the Sim too.

If someone wants to discuss a future project, you find me on steelbeasts.org.

You want to discuss other things than steelbeast, I will not answer.

A reaction of former 911 members, was to say: “It`s my real life and I want to have fun.”

So now I can repeat it.

To my fast posting UK comrades: have fun cleaning the holy seem of Ssnake.

In this sense, dran, drauf, drüber and good bye

Duke(911)

Admins please delete my account.

I think all these posts was a big misunderstanding. The List was made in context to help somebody who created really exellent skins.

the tone of the posts says otherwise.

it was more or less "this POS model is riddled with errors, i refuse to even wipe my arse with it until they are all fixed"

talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth...

I have always greatly appreciated Nils style and intensity of communication with the community in the last few years .

One such effort is rarely found.

I find it shameful and inappropriate the kind and wise as he is attacked.

I believe that the "911" make a big, completely unnecessary mistake.

Because they increase into something. For no reason at all.

To get back to what Azure Lion asked in the beginning:

What would you like to see in Steel Beasts?

- Scenario Editor: AI patrolled regions

(maybe the possibility in the scenario editor to specify a region for specified units with some extra markers to tell them, how long they should stay at the marker)

- Scenario Editor: the allmighty copy and paste functionality :)

- InGame: On the fly waypoints. When commanding a unit, it's always very time consuming to steer the vehicle to a designated area. Why not give the possibility to just set some waypoints in the map and let the driver do his work? Ok, thats just a suggestion in generally.

- Settings: would it be possible to divide the commands in vehicle sections?

This thread is far too interesting that some hate mongers should destroy the purpose of it.

So let's ignore the ignorant and care for the caring :)

ah, do you mean setting a waypoint with "lase to set waypoint"?

What i meant was, oh how do i put this:

When i'm commanding a unit, i wish i could go to map view,

set a few waypoints, which the driver then steers to

(without bumping into trees or stuff:))

Ok nothing too important maybe, but it's the little things ... :)

ah, do you mean setting a waypoint with "lase to set waypoint"?

What i meant was, oh how do i put this:

When i'm commanding a unit, i wish i could go to map view,

set a few waypoints, which the driver then steers to

(without bumping into trees or stuff:))

Ok nothing too important maybe, but it's the little things ... :)

Try right clicking on the unit and using the "New route" command.

sure, right, the route command would be the current way to do this, absolutly.

It's just a thought, rather than to draw lines in the map during battle,

it would be great if a setting of "quick waypoints" would be possible,

where the driver ai can actually "surprise" me ;)

In a way of 'giving the ai some personality' if you know what i mean :bigsmile:

Well the NavMesh used by SteelBeasts in particular is something, i do not fully understand. I mean, how SB uses it.

With that explanation from unity3d, it is starting to get clearer :)

A navigation mesh (also known as the Navmesh) is a simplified representation of world geometry, which gameplay agents use to navigate the world.

Typically an agent has a goal, or a destination, to which it is trying to find a path, and then navigate to that goal along the path.

This process is called pathfinding.

Note that Navmesh generation (or baking) is done by game developers inside the editor, while the pathfinding is done by agents at runtime based on that Navmesh.

In the complex world of games, there can be many agents, dynamic obstacles, and constantly changing accessibility levels for different areas in the world.

Agents need to react dynamically to those changes. An agent's pathfinding task can be interrupted by or affected by things like collision avoidance with other characters, changing characteristics of the terrain, physical obstacles (such as closing doors), and an update to the actual destination.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/NavmeshandPathfinding.html

Wow, I finally cought up on this thread and I am Appalled by what has transpired. I find it hrd to believe that someone would gripe about mistakes in a model. I for one think that (i believe its dejawolf who makes the models) The models are top rate models. I dont personally count the nuts and bolts on the bradley to see if its correct or not, who cares. Does it stop me from having fun with the sim? I found one mistake long time ago with the bradley track being backwards, but instead of complaining, I fixed it. Yea, that was a fix I could do myself and some fixes you cant, but point is you didnt see me complaining about it. I am very impressed by the developers of this sim, ssnake, volcano, dejawolf and others, who have spent countless hours and days and months working , and I bet sacraficing some well deserved family time, to give us an excellent simulation and updates, and also how they are active in the forums with the community, which a lot of game developers dont even give you that courtesy. So if i find a cple mistakes in my beloved bradley, oh well, I'll get over it. I wont play another tank sim because this one in my opinion is the best one out there and best one as far as developer support and involvement in the community. Ok, I m sorry, but I just had to get that off my chest cause it pisses me off when I see stuff like this.

What I would love to see is the ability (I think this has been mentioned before) to divide units in the planing phase of a scenerio, and the m2/3, and m2/3a1 and the new m2/3/a3 varients of the bradley. Now a workaround for the dividing units during the planning phase would only work in single action as far as i know unless in multiplayer you can do it too, but start the scenerio and then pause it right away to divide the units, that will be just like doing it in planing phase and your not killing time doing it.( I think I did this one time but may be wrong about the whole thing, I know you can pause and plan routes while paused)

I've got to agree with Renegade on this, the models are just about as good as it gets. Like I said before, there are always going to be mistakes, and many of these things are going to be so small that it doesn't really matter.

Getting back on the subject of things that would be nice to have, it seems like the dev team took care of a whole bunch of stuff I had been asking for already, but...

A few more types of ammunition for the 105mm armed tanks- M900 APFSDS, and ATK's 105mm MPAT would be great, although the latter is probably only really applicable to the Centauro when used as a Striker MGS substitute and pure 'what if' for everything else with a 105.

http://www.atk.com/products-services/105mm-gun-system-ammunition/

I'd second Renegade's requests for some more M2/3 variants. Of all the ones he mentioned, I think I'd be most glad to have some cold war era M2/M2A1 type vehicles. This might sound odd, but I think I would rather see a variant of the existing M2A2 ODS with ERA tiles added on than an A3 variant.

And perhaps, if possible, a few new terrain objects, but like I said I don't know if any of these would work with the existing engine:

Berm objects that can be put onto existing maps either in the map or mission editor, which represent terrain features like the sand berm built up along the Saudi/Iraqi border. Perhaps both a short version that could be shot and driven over with tracked vehicles, and a tall version that needed to be breached with a mine plow.

Trench and ditch objects - narrow trenches for infantry, and wider 'anti-tank' ditches that vehicles will fall into, and can be crossed with vehicle launched bridges. I admit that the latter can be simulated with narrow rivers, it just looks out of place on desert maps.

• Members

Give me firing tables (or at least muzzle velocity plus a few times of flight at various ranges) and I will give you more simulated ammo. We're engineers, not wizards. I don't invent ballistics for a round that I don't know. At the very least, give me something on which I can base an estimation.

I admit that the latter can be simulated with narrow rivers, it just looks out of place on desert maps.

Well, there's always the "is Wadi" option in the theme editor...as for the rest, both Volcano and Ssnake have alluded to a total rework of the underlying terrain engine being in progress and a desire to add most, if not all, of the terrain items you suggest. And, on the M900, let me dig around in my storage room this weekend and see if I can turn up my old firing tables...

I've never seen Nils lose his temper on this forum, in ten years. Incidentally, it is rivet-counters that practically ruined the Il-2 series, such is their inability to understand matters small and big, and the ability for the tail to wag the dog if it beats loudly enough. At least such behaviour is exceptional here. You should read some of the shit Battlefront have to put up with.

Be grateful for what we have. Some perspective, people.

Well, there's always the "is Wadi" option in the theme editor...as for the rest, both Volcano and Ssnake have alluded to a total rework of the underlying terrain engine being in progress and a desire to add most, if not all, of the terrain items you suggest. And, on the M900, let me dig around in my storage room this weekend and see if I can turn up my old firing tables...

I might be wrong, and I'll check again, but I think the problem I had with the "is Wadi" option was that AVLB vehicles were not laying their bridges and everything else just drove right over them. Maybe it was because it was so narrow and shallow that the AI knew it could just drive right through.

I completely forgot about collecting some data on M900, I figured that they'd be able to use what they already knew to make an educated guess!

Around the release of 2.654 I noted that I didn't think the T-72M4 was using its TIS in fog/low light . I don't think it's been fixed. The T-90 is a bit of a muscular sub for my scenarios ;)

Edit: This was the original thread http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=16458 Although it's possibly a bug I'm wish listing it as there are alternatives now we have the '90.

- Scenario Editor: AI patrolled regions

(maybe the possibility in the scenario editor to specify a region for specified units with some extra markers to tell them, how long they should stay at the marker)

You can do this now.

Create a route representing the patrol route and then set it up with "embark if ..." the unit is a certain call sign.

You can also get the unit to remain at certain spots by using wait X minutes after the condition is satisfied before proceeding.

- Scenario Editor: the allmighty copy and paste functionality :)

With you there, although copying to the other side and then copying back is a work around.

- InGame: On the fly waypoints. When commanding a unit, it's always very time consuming to steer the vehicle to a designated area. Why not give the possibility to just set some waypoints in the map and let the driver do his work? Ok, thats just a suggestion in generally.

Except telling the driver where to go is what the crew commander is paid to do.

If the driver just picks a random route then who knows what route he will choose and whether that aligns with where you want him to go?

• Members
Except telling the driver where to go is what the crew commander is paid to do.

If the driver just picks a random route then who knows what route he will choose and whether that aligns with where you want him to go?

Ssnake told me a nice anecdote about that once.. PC standing at the entrance to a roundabout.. driver asks 'where to', tc says 'just drive straight through'.. driver did just that (think this but succeeding) :o

thx Gibsonm, i will implement this patrolled region behavior for some troops or 3rd party bad guys

The workaround 'copy to other side and back again' sounds like a quest for a hobbit :) But actually thats a nice idea and it does'nt take that time at all.

Sure, it's the commanders job to tell the driver, wehere to go. But ehm as long as we don't have a voice command feature like in hawx it would be a fine feature. But well, not sooo necessary, i give you that.

Ok, taking in mind the driver would drive through roundabouts :bigsmile:... maybe that waypoint thingy was a dumb idea:c:, forget it. But now that i think of voice commands ... wantwantwant :luxhello: