Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

How easy would it be to throw select displays out to a tablet? Austin Meyer has done this with X-Plane, where select guages and displays can be sent to a seperate screen via an app. Would be cool with things like a GPS monitor for the TC, the, CV-90 computer thingy etc, or simply the map view.

How easy would it be to throw select displays out to a tablet? Austin Meyer has done this with X-Plane, where select guages and displays can be sent to a seperate screen via an app. Would be cool with things like a GPS monitor for the TC, the, CV-90 computer thingy etc, or simply the map view.

Before the night is thru I have one more wish for the list.Can we get ability to choose the FOV when in TC eye view?The FOV when in TC eye view makes everything so tiny and hard to see that its making it so that I have to drive around with binocular view up and that seems off to me.In urban areas it feels even more off where I cant see a tank a block away so I am driving with the narrow FOV of the binoculars.So that makes me resort to the observation view that has a narrower FOV.

Gunners eye view FOV is perfect and seems to match the observation mode FOV when not zoomed in.What I am thinking would be nice is to make it so when unbuttoned you can zoom in slightly like what happens when your seated in TC position.But when you unbutton and you press zoom you go automatically to binocular view.This would mean an extra button to just bring up the binoculars but I feel that it will make for a better experience of being in a tank.

What do you guys think?Please don't say to just play in observation mode as that is not how I like to play simulations. :heu:

US 1980 - would need new infantry: M1 helmets, M16A1 rifles, plain OD green OG-107 uniforms. Appropriate vehicle skins already exist for us to download.

DE 1980 - would again need new infantry for troops wearing steel helmets rather than kevlar, plain OD green uniforms, G3 rifles. Again, vehicle skins are already out there.

UK 1980 - Again, 1980s or 1970s helmets, uniforms, FN-FAL rifles, and if the vehicle skins don't exist yet then somebody will make them soon enough.

We don't really need any changes for the Soviet/RU side because they're sill using the same darn rifles now that they used in the 60s.

I think the Soviet infantry would still need some changes.

While the current model can work fine as an M88 afghanka, it doesn't really fit for anything late 60s or 70s. Given that the M69 uniforms were still in broad use well until the mid to late 80s, matching Soviet infantry to fit that iconic uniform works best in my mind.

The field gear and ssh-68 are fine as is. The jacket and pants pockets would need to be removed. The pants and boots would need to be changed to account for enlisted trousers and sapogi. If one wants to get really picky about it, the AKM would be replaced with an AK-74.

The colors we can fix ourselves I think, even redo the AKM so it looks like an AK-74. I think the existing 3D models are plenty close enough for them to be repainted to look like an M69 if so desired.

As long as my brain says "Achtung, Kommischwein!" when I see them I won't worry that they don't look exactly like the real thing, and honestly I'm probably going to machine gun them rather than look at their trousers.

pre1974a.jpg

IMHO the difficulty with representing cold war troops is more on the NATO side as they seem to have mostly newer composite helmets and such.

The colors we can fix ourselves I think, even redo the AKM so it looks like an AK-74. I think the existing 3D models are plenty close enough for them to be repainted to look like an M69 if so desired.

As long as my brain says "Achtung, Kommischwein!" when I see them I won't worry that they don't look exactly like the real thing, and honestly I'm probably going to machine gun them rather than look at their trousers.

pre1974a.jpg

IMHO the difficulty with representing cold war troops is more on the NATO side as they seem to have mostly newer composite helmets and such.

I'm attempting something similar with North Korean uniforms, which requires slowly erasing many of the details.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=19519

Thanks for mentioning the SPG-9 Panzer_Leader. I agree that it would be beneficial for Cold War scenarios depicting the Warsaw Pact forces on the defensive. It would also be accurate for modern Afghanistan scenarios.

Yeah, I've always wanted to drop a few SPG-9s into the relevant Soviet company-sized defensive positions in my scenarios. I'm pretty sure they'd be largely ineffective but add another layer of defence that needs to be considered when attacking.

As for the T-12, I have a scenario in mind where I want a BAOR BG attacking into the flank of a Soviet division to re-establish contact with I GE Corps to the north and want T-12s and BRDM-2 ATs as the main flank defence, with maybe some rear echelon units spread out heading west behind them. I've thought about using the T-55AM in a scrape with engine and MGs disabled but it's not quite the same thing. I'm pretty sure a T-12 is well down the list of eSim's priorities but one can still dream!

• Members
I'm pretty sure a T-12 is well down the list of eSim's priorities but one can still dream!

Somewhere in the middle, actually. We have the ammo, so that's always an extra motivation to get it in. On the other hand, it's a new class of system that needs other vehicles to tow it to a new location, there's setup procedures and all, which is going to be a bit of a pain to code. Maybe if we're adding field guns for artillery one day we might add such anti tank guns with the same sweep.

Somewhere in the middle, actually. We have the ammo, so that's always an extra motivation to get it in. On the other hand, it's a new class of system that needs other vehicles to tow it to a new location, there's setup procedures and all, which is going to be a bit of a pain to code. Maybe if we're adding field guns for artillery one day we might add such anti tank guns with the same sweep.

Thanks Ssnake, appreciate the feedback. Yeah, I understand the difficulty of creating a new type of weapon system, with the need to hitch and unhitch it from a prime mover etc. Still, it's good to know you're thinking about about it and look forward to seeing it in the sim one day.

Thanks for the reply on the T-12 Ssnake. Glad to hear it may be a possibility one day.

Panzer_Leader: I like that scenario you described. I had something similar in mind but with an American M1/M2 Company Team attacking through a West German position into the Soviet flank. Pretty sure I stole that general idea from Team Yankee, but it would be fun to create in the game.

For what it's worth, I would find completely stationary field guns and etc acceptable.

Well anything pre AT-3 Malyutka you're going to struggle infantry AT wise unless you use a disabled technical with a recoil-less rifle.

I for one would like to see AT guns,

I guess you could move them short distances, as the heavier guns usually came with an APU for short moves.

The soviets even made a 2a24 125mm version (tips the scales at 6 tonnes though :eek2: )

Two more wishes:heu:

The traverse left/right is a great feature but I feel its too short and the gunner reverts back to scan front very soon afterwards.I feel that I lose control of tank when they revert back to default scanning as I needed them scanning a certain area.Can the traverse forward command be a resume normal scan mode?

This one may already be implemented and I am doing something wrong.When gunner spots enemy and yells TANK I give command to fire and sometimes the gunner does nothing due to main gun being obstructed.Can the gunner coordinate with the driver till get the main weapon clear?I think the E button has something to do with this but its not working or I am using it wrong.

Challenger 2 variant without the addon armor on hull front would be interesting. You would have to be very careful with your tank positioning, making sure you are hull down almost always with that tank.

That's only used for training.

Almost every deployment it is deployed with the add on armour.

How is it done in real life?

You can only talk the gunner onto the target (which takes time) or override him. There is no telepathic link between commander and gunner.

Still wishing I could talk him off a target someday so he would start searching for visible targets again.

Drives me nuts when he focuses on a target thats moved behind a hill and others are moving in. You can tell him to traverse but he does a quick look and then returns to the hidden target.