Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Creating shorelines that allow water crossings, Red has a lot of vehicles that can swim, but the terrain generation always creates steep cliffs at the shoreline that prevents vehicles from climbing out of the water. Amphibious operations not practical right now.

+1. Definitely.

One thing that will greatly enhance the Map Editor is a tool that allows you to "modify" the terrain height data, non-destructively, from inside the 3D world, for example, you press a key and the pixel closest to the crosshair will move up or down. This would allow the user to correct the terrain properly without messing with any SB PRO height map restriction policy.

Unlikely to happen but ...

The ability to link the call sign template to the scrolling text.

Often if you are using a "non standard" call sign template you can have say a platoon from 3 Motor Rifle Company in contact (say it has "3 MR Coy" beside the map icon), but the scrolling text report whatever the underlying original default might be say "1/2/A" or whatever.

So you have confusion / conflict with seeing "3 MR Coy" being shot at but a "1/2/A" report.

Gets worse if you are controlling lots of units on a wide front and you think you have a second unit in contact somewhere or if the designer has moved away from the default structure (used 11 Coy on the template for 2 MR Coy on the map) so you can't make the mental substitution of 2 Coy for 2 MR Coy.

The ability to fire at least one type of RPG.

We already can fire AGL.ATGM And machine guns.

I am not for one minute suggesting we turn SB in to a infantry sim

But I do think it would add that something extra.

How many times have you screamed at your AI RPG team fire.

But for some reason they don't even though it seems they have a clear shoot

At the target.

Or perhaps that infuriating AI behaviour - 'I can see 'em. No I can't. Yes I can. No I can't' - that causes soldiers equipped with shoulder-launched rpgs to continuously alternate between prone and the kneeling firing position, could be sorted.

Btw, I understood that v3.0 would allow troops to fire their rpgs from the prone but this does not seem to happen.

I would be curious to see if doubling the terrain resolution to 6.25 meters per sample would impact performance noticeably. I know there's not much chance of that happening any time soon, but this is the "Wish List" thread.

This first image is at 12.5m/sample:

7NzNcHV.png

The second is 6.25m:

tHUd0SL.png

And the is the original 2m:

8rH2N5V.png

I would be curious to see if doubling the terrain resolution to 6.25 meters per sample would impact performance noticeably. I know there's not much chance of that happening any time soon, but this is the "Wish List" thread.

I think that by halving the distance between elevation posts in the terrain data, you are almost tripling the number of posts, and, thus, greatly multiplying the number of surface facets which must be tested for LOS calculations.

Scrapper 511, I second your request! Both editors need to be modernized especially the Map Editor which you're referring to since it's the only place one can manipulate line objects. I'd love to be able to shift or cntrl shift on a series of objects of any type for either deleting or moving them...maybe some day :-)