Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

In the Mission Editor I'd like the ability, when changing a default mounted infantry unit to another unit type (a new and welcome feature itself), to vary the default number of infantrymen in that unit. For example, a Warrior (ODS) has a Rifle Squad of 4 men and MG Squad of 3 men as default. If I want to change both squads to ATGM teams, to represent Milan teams from the Fire Support Company for example, I'd like the ability to reduce them to 3 or 2 men each as needed. Of course, I can achieve the same effect by creating two new 3- or 2-man ATGM teams but that breaks the link between the vehicle and the infantry, so the AI won't automatically mount or dismount them per the default set-up. Not a biggie, but something that would be nice one day.

In the Mission Editor I'd like the ability, when changing a default mounted infantry unit to another unit type (a new and welcome feature itself), to vary the default number of infantrymen in that unit. For example, a Warrior (ODS) has a Rifle Squad of 4 men and MG Squad of 3 men as default. If I want to change both squads to ATGM teams, to represent Milan teams from the Fire Support Company for example, I'd like the ability to reduce them to 3 or 2 men each as needed. Of course, I can achieve the same effect by creating two new 3- or 2-man ATGM teams but that breaks the link between the vehicle and the infantry, so the AI won't automatically mount or dismount them per the default set-up. Not a biggie, but something that would be nice one day.

You can script the "new" ATGM inf sections to mount up in the mission editor.

Mount if: "This unit is not carrying troops."

(You need to spread them out though (the vehicles))

You can script the "new" ATGM inf sections to mount up in the mission editor.

Mount if: "This unit is not carrying troops."

(You need to spread them out though (the vehicles))

Thanks for the pointer. I'll give that a try to see if it solves the bulk of the issue. Still think the short cut proposed would be helpful but, admittedly, not a priority.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll give that a try to see if it solves the bulk of the issue. Still think the short cut proposed would be helpful but, admittedly, not a priority.

Keep the infantry you want in each vehicle next to the vehicle (less than 25m for speedy mounting).

Pointing out the bleedin' obvious but hey, at least i told you so. :)

I live in Scandinavia, so my online options seems very limited, with the countdown starting at 4-5am sunday mornings.

I would like to put a Multiplay menu up as a wish

Not like the current one, but a list with hosts and ping, and maybe even a time to start too.

It would make much easier to find someone playing a mission during ordinary weekdays, and not only missions planned weeks ahead.

And probably make this sim much more popular.

I live in Scandinavia, so my online options seems very limited, with the countdown starting at 4-5am sunday mornings.

I would like to put a Multiplay menu up as a wish

Not like the current one, but a list with hosts and ping, and maybe even a time to start too.

It would make much easier to find someone playing a mission during ordinary weekdays, and not only missions planned weeks ahead.

And probably make this sim much more popular.

Well that's going to be pretty hard to implement unless you want your client machine to spend its life scanning every IP address on the planet. :)

There are no "dedicated" servers running games 24/7.

You need to come here and read the posts and join one that is at a suitable time and if there aren't any run your own, post about it and see who turns up.

Some time ago Saturday evenings (GMT) was determined to be the "least worst" time to run theses things.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=17110

Now membership may have changed and perhaps you might consider running a new poll to update this? :)

Oh and for what its worth 1800z on a Saturday is 0500 Sunday morning here - so its far from convenient for me.

Well that's going to be pretty hard to implement unless you want your client machine to spend its life scanning every IP address on the planet.

I really don't think this is the way every other multiplay game do things.

It will ofc need eSim to host a network page every client could lookup to see if sombody are available. Not too costly to do, if you calculate the cost versus the anticipate income for more popularity.

Most of the workload would just be to calculate the ping, vs host and the clients looking at page once, and make it a manual refresh, to keep workload down.

Or it might work with only a list of active ip's (hosts), that client itself can check up pings for, and make a local list or menu of them.

Or it might work with only a list of active ip's (hosts), that client itself can check up pings for, and make a local list or menu of them.

Yes but that's the point.

There is no "list of active IP's". Anybody can host a mission for multiplay.

Its not limited some dedicated servers with fixed IP addresses.

Make the mission a folder, including mission and textures and theme. So if some textures (or theme) are changed, they are taken first from the folder, second in the mod folder, and later in the textures (or theme) folder of the game installation.

Textures would have to be manually installed in the folder, to keep it simple (if you don't install them, you run the defaut one).