Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

you can also edit a theme, and in one of the terrain types click "is wadi". Then you caan use that terrain type with the line tool to put down wadi/trench. Just be sure to check your work in the 3D view. It tends to create ugly V shaped trenches and can have unanticipated result when used on hills. However its the same tool used in the sce you named from SB1. (pretty much)

• 4 weeks later...

It happend to me several times that, playing as comander, I or the gunner identify a target, lay the gun on it, order fire,... and nothing happens. I suppose the gunner is unable to fire for some reason, like he can't get a good laser return, but it would be good if he were more verbal about the reason that prevents him from following my order.

I think Rotar(?) mentioned this but I didn't see it become a post, so here we go:

Perhaps not realistic but an aid to those who may not have the experience and to provide an objective answer ....

The ability to get information on the distance and approx. how long it will take for a unit to travel on a route being plotted.

So "in game" (not in the mission editor) a person clicks on a unit and starts to give it a route, as the cursor moves a small figure is displayed (on the map near the cursor or maybe off to the right in the marginal information area) showing how much time it will roughly take to get there, taking into account the broad vehicle type and the movement tactic used and perhaps showing the distance covered too.

That way a player can determine how long the Sim reckons it will take the unit to get to a given location. Need to get there earlier, pick a less secure movement tactic (say March instead of Scout) and re-plot the route.

You could then plan with a little more certainty say two units on different routes RVing at a common point at the same time, etc.

The distance part may well help with the Navmeshing where moving the mouse a little often offers an alternate route so players can know Route 1 is 3km long and will take 5 mins to get to, while Route 2 is say 4 Km long and will take 7 mins (but maybe it offers better cover and concealment).

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Is this "good training value" or giving the player an unrealistic amount of information at hand to make his decisions?

Purely from a usability point of view I fully understand the idea; I toyed with it as well. In the end I decided NOT to push for it because, well, the whole point of SB Pro is that the player should develop a sense for off-road and road-bound movement. I'm not sure if the suggested feature will help to develop that sense quicker, or if it "dumbs" the player by being too convenient?

Honestly, I'm somewhat torn about this.

Is this "good training value" or giving the player an unrealistic amount of information at hand to make his decisions?

Purely from a usability point of view I fully understand the idea; I toyed with it as well. In the end I decided NOT to push for it because, well, the whole point of SB Pro is that the player should develop a sense for off-road and road-bound movement. I'm not sure if the suggested feature will help to develop that sense quicker, or if it "dumbs" the player by being too convenient?

I'm in a similar position (refer the 2nd sentence).

I guess the positive is you get the objective Sim view of approx. how long it should take to cover a certain distance over a certain piece of terrain in a certain formation, so everybody has the same basis for planning.

So new players can get an idea of the Sim's time and space without necessarily learning the hard way - "So you mean a tank climbing a mountain, through a forest, in snow, can't cover 5Km in 1 minute?"

The negative is they may well just rely on these figures from the Sim and not learn the hard way.

In a training environment that's bad because people need to learn and apply the time and space learned through experience when planning or indeed in the field.

So a bad training outcome if it becomes a crutch, but a good outcome if its a guide for new people.

Maybe it could be linked to the Realism setting?

"Low" gives you "zoom" without binos, Arty impact areas, this "T&S Aid", etc.

"Medium" and "High" cut all these away?

Easy to handle, I hope that is what you´re looking for.

German TC and PltLdr basics ;-)

Thank you.

I too have similar "staff tables".

I believe the idea though was to have an "in game" ready reckoner so you'd get feedback on a given route without having to measure the distance, estimate the speed SB would use, etc. :)

Enjoy your weekend. :)

Maybe an option for one of the lower realism settings?

Personally, I'd like to see eSim take a cycle and work solely on refinements. I could happily do without new vehicles for one release cycle to get things like:

Smoothed road placement with proper shaping into hills, etc.

Auto-junctioning of road graphics to make proper intersections

Micro adjustment of bridges in all 3 axes, in World view

Proper burning graphics for all vehicles

Proper small arms representations

More map objects and/or object import

Adjustable river bank steepness

More choices in water/bridge width - elastic sizes adjustable in World view

Basically, those sorts of things as opposed to all new stuff.

Personally, I'd like to see eSim take a cycle and work solely on refinements. I could happily do without new vehicles for one release cycle to get things like:

Smoothed road placement with proper shaping into hills, etc.

Auto-junctioning of road graphics to make proper intersections

Micro adjustment of bridges in all 3 axes, in World view

Proper burning graphics for all vehicles

Proper small arms representations

More map objects and/or object import

Adjustable river bank steepness

More choices in water/bridge width - elastic sizes adjustable in World view

Basically, those sorts of things as opposed to all new stuff.

I second that. We are used to getting at least a bunch of new things to drive or shoot at when a new update comes. Improvements to the road and building editor would be welcome. It would be awesome to be able to make more belivable roads and urban terrain; railroad crossings, stone stairs, building foundations, terraces or beaches and river banks.

My 2 cents.

I second that. We are used to getting at least a bunch of new things to drive or shoot at when a new update comes. Improvements to the road and building editor would be welcome. It would be awesome to be able to make more belivable roads and urban terrain; railroad crossings, stone stairs, building foundations, terraces or beaches and river banks.

My 2 cents.

well, currently we're working on improving older vehicle models, and also giving a facelift to many of the older buildings in SB. the coders are working on making the SB code more "lean" so it is easier to work with and modify.

In US mechanized infantry, we carried all sorts of ammunition inside and outside the M2 Bradley. The normal loadout for missiles would be 4 TOW and 2 Dragon ATGMs stored (80's to 90's TO&E). The M3 Cavalry had more missiles which were almost all TOWs. In SB, the infantry gets ONE SHOT and one shot only with the AT-4. Better make the most of it or else the grunts become coax fodder.

I would like to see the system allow infantry to grab reloads when close by their IFVs. For small arms fire, this isn't much of an issue but for grunts to be effective against armor, one shot per squad just doesn't cut it. Especially when you know darn well a wave of Russian vehicles are coming!!!

• Members
In US mechanized infantry, we carried all sorts of ammunition inside and outside the M2 Bradley. ... In SB, the infantry gets ONE SHOT and one shot only with the AT-4.

Give a mount command, and they will restock their RPG ammo, smoke grenades, and more.

;)

In SB, the infantry gets ONE SHOT and one shot only with the AT-4. Better make the most of it or else the grunts become coax fodder.

Only because that is what the scenario designer set up.

Go into the mission editor

Unload the Infantry

Right click on and Infantry icon

Choose "Options"

Choose "Set Ammunition"

And who can select the TYPE and QUANTITY of ammunition (including anti armour)

You can even do it to one unit and make it apply to all.

You can do the same thing with a Javelin team as well.

Pretty sure that's all in the manual too.

READ THE BOOK.

Then as others have said when they shoot that off, get back in the vehicle and you can replenish from stocks carried there, so when you dismount again you have a full allocation again.