Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

If you want to know where most people stand on a more detailed implementation of Air Support (and as a result Air Defence) have a look here:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=20855

Hmm, well, if I wantd to play ArmA, id play ArmA. The very reason I looked at SB in the first place was because I was interested in a properly realistic tank-centric sim. Everything else is a bonus ;)

That aside, a platoon-wide pop smoke command for AI crews would be marvelous

Edited by Kyle Harmse

Also, a Platoon wide Pop Smoke Command?

Oh, + 1, very definitely. In RL the platoon commander can effect this very simply. Shouldn't mean a huge amount of new coding IMHO. But then what I know about coding is #0. :clin:

Plus when connecting rear to rear the recovering vehicle have better torque forward on gear 1 then on reverse, so you get a stronger pull then when reverse-recover.

/KT

Are you sure about this KT? I always understood that reverse was achieved simply by 'adding an extra cog' to 1st gear to change the ouput shaft direction without affecting the reduction ratio. But I could be wrong. I was wrong about something or other in 1975. Can't remember what; can't have been important. :)

Thats what I was taught during recovery training on the Bv410 (Viking MkIIb for you brits) just 2 month ago, so I asume its correct. But then again, I do not have access to the output ratios for the different gears...

/KT

Thanks KT. I'm sure if that's what they told you it's correct. Could possibly vary between vehicle types though. Either way, it's no big deal.

Thanks Hedge. Makes sense for a tank, I guess, which may wish to advance very slowly but back up in a hurry if it doesn't like what it sees.

A bit of trivia: In the 1920s, motor cars generally had a reverse gear that was a lower ratio (higher numerically) than their 1st gear, and would often tacke very steep gradients by going up backwards!

Just started playing with SB PE, only playing Instant Action for now, do APCs carry infantry at all in this sim? Would be nice to have disembark and take up positions like they did in M1TP2.

They certainly do- Instant Action has limited features or behavior, create or play any number of scenarios and you can play with mechanized infantry and APC dismounts.

Are you sure about this KT? I always understood that reverse was achieved simply by 'adding an extra cog' to 1st gear to change the ouput shaft direction without affecting the reduction ratio. But I could be wrong. I was wrong about something or other in 1975. Can't remember what; can't have been important. :)

Towing (rear to rear) is very dangerous in combat, best to tow with good AFV (armour/gun) forward, well if you don't want a round up your rear (some might like this :bigsmile:)