Steel Beasts: Content Wish List

Azure Lion

Any chance of mirroring the multi-party feature in the participants list in Network sessions?

In today's TGIF we had four sides (Blue and Green allied against Red and Orange).

The Blue and Red players were depicted in blue and red respectively. Green and Orange were just black.

It would be nice if all were colour coded so you could for example, confirm who was on a given side or how well the players were distributed across the various parties, etc.

So for this mission, ideally we'd have players shown in blue, green, red and orange.

Ideally this would cover all 12 possible "parties" (including the already provided Blue and Red).

Wish list? Well, as a newbie to SBProPE, I would suggest guided and interactive tutorials a-la Jane's Combat Simulation series. Jane's USAF and Jane's Israeli Air Force tutorials do come to mind. With guided real-time voice and responsive actions based on the users correct or incorrect moves. If this is way too much to ask, then how about a video for each tutorial, showing exactly what the paragraphs mean. Ala Graphsim's F-18 flight simulator. A picture is worth a thousand words. A video, perhaps, is worth five thousand words. Heh. Or maybe there is a reason why there is no accompanying video for the textual tutorials. Or maybe it takes a lot of time to produce the tutorial videos. Having said this, if I was confident enough to demonstrate live, what the textual tutorials are explaning, then I could do screen recordings and then host them on, let's say, a Youtube channel. With the video corresponding to the content of the textual tutorials. That would, in my feeble mind, accelerate the learning curve process of a newbie who wants to learn the basics and nuances of SBProPE. I know this is no excuse not to read the manual, but I thought this might be useful.

I also think (although admittedly its been a while since I've done them) that the idea of you reading and then doing (for almost all I think you can come back to the briefing screen to ensure you are doing it right) is better than just watching a video.

Also are you now requiring users to have two screens, one to play the video on and the other to actually carry out the actions?

Others of course may have differing opinions.

Something oh so very simple. 'Pop Smoke' command, when issued by a platoon commander results in the whole platoon popping smoke. Or even better, a 'Platoon Pop Smoke' command. Too much to ask? Probably. :(

But in RL that's not how it happens.

Individual crew commander's decide if they need to pop smoke to obscure their vehicle.

You'd probably also find instances where "everybody" in a given group popping smoke would actually give away the position of a currently concealed vehicle that hadn't been detected prior to the big smoke plume appearing.

In addition in the Mech Inf space does the "platoon" command mean you want say all four vehicles and their eight dismounts all popping smoke (i.e. twelve in all)?

My wish list:

1. Actual 3D crew members with role-playing ala Microprose's B17 Flying Fortress II so that we can get emotionally attached to our tankcrew

2. WWII mods to allow battles among T-34, Tiger Tank, Panther, Panzer IV, Sherman and Firefly.

3. Yom Kippur mod complete with Centurion "Sho't Kal", and modified M48 Patton "Magach" tanks, BTR-50 armored personnel carriers (APCs), Syrian T-62s, the most modern Soviet-bloc tank at the time, equipped with a 115mm smoothbore gun and infrared night-fighting capability,T-54s and T-55s.

In the map editor, you can "Export to bmp", and in the mission editor you can print to .xps if that helps at all?

Well I was thinking a mission editor to pdf, as then all the graphics would be printed.

I guess i'll have to look into .xps, whatever that is.

My wish list:

1. Actual 3D crew members with role-playing ala Microprose's B17 Flying Fortress II so that we can get emotionally attached to our tankcrew

2. WWII mods to allow battles among T-34, Tiger Tank, Panther, Panzer IV, Sherman and Firefly.

3. Yom Kippur mod complete with Centurion "Sho't Kal", and modified M48 Patton "Magach" tanks, BTR-50 armored personnel carriers (APCs), Syrian T-62s, the most modern Soviet-bloc tank at the time, equipped with a 115mm smoothbore gun and infrared night-fighting capability,T-54s and T-55s.

Centurion "Sho't Kal" - Mk5.2 in SB, for crewable try using Leopard AS1

M48 Patton "Magach" tanks - M60 in SB, M48 on backorder

BTR 50 - In SB, now crewable !!

Syrian T-62s - In SB - crewable

T-55A - in SB, T-54 on Backorder

Pretty fresh tanker here, just started to get a grip of this immense simulation. Primarily I miss a couple of little things:

1. Some sort of pop-up map (kneepad for a pilot) to use when unbuttoned to get a greater situational awareness of the surroundings.

2. To be able to view the map and briefing simultaneously (split screen?)

3. Finer conturlines to display mapheight. I´m having a really hard time determening wheter it´s a hill or a valley just by viewing the map.

4. To be able to drag a box and command a PC and their dismounted infantry at the same time from the map. Maybe even an option to advance/assault etc and choosing formation (PC leads infantry or opposite)

Maybe I´ll eventually join some of your battles in MP some day. Just got to stop sucking at my warfaring first :c:

Regarding your point 3. That is already possible. You can set contour line space to 1m if you want

Yes I know that but it makes it even more blurred imo. What I mean is thinner/sharper lines. Hard to explain but if you look at the heightlines in a normal map you´ll se the difference.

• Members
Primarily I miss a couple of little things:

1. Some sort of pop-up map (kneepad for a pilot) to use when unbuttoned to get a greater situational awareness of the surroundings.

Print the map during the planning phase, or from within the mission editor before you play, then use the print on a clipboard to your heart's content. Seriously.

We don't WANT to make the magic map even more useful because it's too good already compared to reality.

2. To be able to view the map and briefing simultaneously (split screen?)

Valid point, but will have to wait until we rewrite the entire UI code (scheduled for this year. Yay.).

3. Finer conturlines to display mapheight. I´m having a really hard time determening wheter it´s a hill or a valley just by viewing the map.

See #2.

4. To be able to drag a box and command a PC and their dismounted infantry at the same time from the map. Maybe even an option to advance/assault etc and choosing formation (PC leads infantry or opposite)

While we might not implement this specific option, expect some improvements in the handling of mechanized platoons through our command & control user interface with the next major release.

Yes I know that but it makes it even more blurred imo. What I mean is thinner/sharper lines. Hard to explain but if you look at the heightlines in a normal map you´ll se the difference.

You do know you can adjust the "zoom" level of the map?

Zoom in and the contour lines should be further apart (unless its the side of a mountain). :)

But in RL that's not how it happens.

Individual crew commander's decide if they need to pop smoke to obscure their vehicle.

You'd probably also find instances where "everybody" in a given group popping smoke would actually give away the position of a currently concealed vehicle that hadn't been detected prior to the big smoke plume appearing.

In addition in the Mech Inf space does the "platoon" command mean you want say all four vehicles and their eight dismounts all popping smoke (i.e. twelve in all)?

Yes, but in RL - correct me if I'm wrong - the platoon commander can order other members of the platoon to pop smoke immediately before withdrawing, if necessary. And yes, I do realise that you wouldn't wish to do that all the time.

Re your last point, obviously not, as the vehicles may already be some way away from their dismouts in a safe position.

But I really do not wish to discuss this with you any further, thanks.

-The SEP, the CITV Sight module inside the turret to rotate.

-The SEP, the MRS lever removed. The SEP is digital now. The MRS is under the Combat menu on the GCDP.

-The SEP, The Manual Firing device (Master Blaster) to fire the main gun while COAX is selected.

-On the SEP's Loader panel the Powered light to only be on and the Arm light to be on. Right now they are all on.

- Adjustable reticle on the SEP from yellow to black

-MRS updates

-Drift that has to be nulled

-operational breech block (down and then up) on the SEP after the Main Gun fires

-The SEP's Turret Hydraulic pressure gage to be set to 1700 PSI. The correct readings when tank is running are 1600-1750.

-More time simulated when the driver has to place the tank into gear. Well as least for the SEP.

-Visual Dirt, Mudd, and other ground effects such as tracks left on the ground. Love the dust effects also

-This one is hard but to be able to use and shoot from the BIOC on the SEP

-Adjustable day sight reticle dim to bright

-Crewable loader's station